No ploughing..

  • gavvenn
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2005
      Hi everyone

      Just joined the group and interested in your thoughts:

      I live in Cheshire UK, and have an opportunity to rent a field to
      grow vegetables. The field is covered with grass and some
      clover,and is certified organic and has not been cultivated for 4
      years.

      My thoughts were to divide into strips for rotation - marking out
      simply by mowing the grass and leaving the cuttings on the ground.
      Then seed with clover and a variety of vegetables distinctive to
      each strip for purposes of rotation. Between strips the grass will
      be left long.

      Has anyone tried this approach or can you give any different
      angles? I wondered about the likelyhood of the seed sprouting?
      Would it be better to scatter seed balls or propagate seperately and
      hand plant the plugs?

      Cheers,
      Gavin
    • bob roque
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 23, 2005
        Gavin,
        If you just mow the grass and leave the
        clippings it will keep growing back--you'll have to
        keep mowing it all season. I have seen brassica
        greens like mustards or tat soi/pac choi volunteer all
        season long within mowed stips of grass. When I'd go
        to cut the grass I would harvest a few here and there,
        mow, and then the greens would just grow back. You
        probably couldn't with too much success, for instance,
        plant peppers, or broccoli, or something where you're
        waiting a bit for the crop to either mature or yield
        fruit, directly into the grass. Grass will grow
        faster than almost anything and end up choking it out.
        But who knows what will happen?
        Something you could try, if you could learn if the
        grass is, say, a winter cover crop rather than weeds,
        is to let a strip of it grow. Once it has flowered
        and is producing pollen, but before it has started to
        set grain, you can cut it low to the ground and it
        will die and dry out in place, becoming a straw mulch.
        You could plant plugs (or seeds?) into this mulch,
        and maybe broadcast clover over in the area as the
        mulch will be to thin to prevent further weed/grass
        germination. This might work with a winter rye/wheat,
        or oats, but if it's a field of weedy grass (like
        crab- witch- or quack- grass) and clover you're going
        to have a hell of a time with it no matter what you
        do.
        Hmm, I just reread your email, and you wrote that
        it hadn't been cultivated for four years... that means
        it is weed grass... He, he. Good luck!
        Rob
        --- gavvenn <gavvenn@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        >
        > Just joined the group and interested in your
        > thoughts:
        >
        > I live in Cheshire UK, and have an opportunity to
        > rent a field to
        > grow vegetables. The field is covered with grass
        > and some
        > clover,and is certified organic and has not been
        > cultivated for 4
        > years.
        >
        > My thoughts were to divide into strips for rotation
        > - marking out
        > simply by mowing the grass and leaving the cuttings
        > on the ground.
        > Then seed with clover and a variety of vegetables
        > distinctive to
        > each strip for purposes of rotation. Between strips
        > the grass will
        > be left long.
        >
        > Has anyone tried this approach or can you give any
        > different
        > angles? I wondered about the likelyhood of the seed
        > sprouting?
        > Would it be better to scatter seed balls or
        > propagate seperately and
        > hand plant the plugs?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Gavin

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Gavin Venn
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2005
          Thanks Bob

          Is shallow ploughing inevitable in this case? How about seeding with clover to gradually eliminate the grass? I've no experience of these practices.

          Is there anyone who has tried seeding or plugging vegetables into a cover of existing clover?

          Any suggestions with working with a 2 acre grassed field with minimal intervention? I'm researching ideas as part of a plan for a small business to provide local vegetables for local people.

          Cheers,
          Gavin

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2005

> [...]
            >> years.
            >>
            >> My thoughts were to divide into strips for rotation
            >> - marking out
            >> simply by mowing the grass and leaving the cuttings
            >> on the ground.
            >> Then seed with clover and a variety of vegetables
            >> distinctive to
            >> each strip for purposes of rotation. Between strips
            >> the grass will
            >> be left long.
            >>
            >> Has anyone tried this approach or can you give any
            >> different
            >> angles? I wondered about the likelyhood of the seed
            >> sprouting?
            >> Would it be better to scatter seed balls or
            >> propagate seperately and
            >> hand plant the plugs?
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >> Gavin
            >>

            >>Hi- I think your best bet is to mulch the grass heavily before it starts
            growing in the Spring. I find that spreading newspaper first helps stop
            the grass growing up through the mulch. Wait as late in the Spring as
            you can before pulling back the mulch in selected spots to sow your
            seedballs... good luck and have fun. Thickly spread manure makes a
            great mulch.

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • les landeck
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2005
              Hi All,

              I've been lurking and enjoying the posts coming in, we
              are slowly building our site and now have some show
              and tell with the addition of pictures of the past two
              weeks activity, we started back in December spreading
              mixes of seed that are taking hold in the old very
              compacted goat pen, inspired we spread more seed in
              undisturbed areas and with the help of some warm lite
              rains everything is good. sorry no seed balls, I'm
              still stuck on the do nothing part, no time and or
              need I have saved a lot of seed. In the upper area we
              planted corn, green beans, squash and amaranth all way
              ahead of the normal time for us in this area. But I
              was inspired by three lambs quarter sprouts that came
              up in the goat pen three months ahead of their normal
              time. We checked the seed in two places two days ago
              and found a corn seed swelling. Don't mined the signal
              lights in the pictures they are for the deer, a lot of
              traffic up there. We avoided planting in their walking
              lanes and will try to use them ourselves. It's like
              ready marked beds. We planted green beans on the drip
              line of the shrubs, harvest will be interesting. As in
              the first pictures all the mustard family seed that we
              have has been spread with African marigolds,
              zinnias,sunflowers many types,potatoes, shungiku,
              radish, turnips,miners lettuce so many strong
              computers this is a mix of wild oat and whats called
              rattle snake grass the thick clumps is soap root. It
              will be easier to name what comes up many more seeds
              not named. so if you want a peek go to.

              http://www.sonic.net/lifeaffirminggardens/journal.html

              Do Well, Les

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            • buttahfly@xprs.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4 10:27 AM
                hi Les
                Sounds exciting what you are doing. I have not had a spare moment since we
                contacted, still hoping to drop by for a visit.Haven't been on the internet
                even for weeks. Just about to move my shop out of Clearlake Oaks and to the
                land by April 11.
                Brian Kennedy
> [...]
                > > you
                > > > do.
                > > > Hmm, I just reread your email, and you wrote
                > > that
                > > > it hadn't been cultivated for four years... that
                > > means
                > > > it is weed grass... He, he. Good luck!
                > > > Rob

                > > rotation
                > > cuttings
                > > strips

                > > any
                > > seed

                > > heavily before it starts
                > > growing in the Spring. I find that spreading
                > > newspaper first helps stop
                > > the grass growing up through the mulch. Wait as
                > > late in the Spring as
                > > you can before pulling back the mulch in selected
                > > spots to sow your
                > > seedballs... good luck and have fun. Thickly

              • les landeck
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5 7:42 PM
                  Good to hear from you Brian,

                  I'm getting on do for another soak, might get your way
                  i'll try to let you know in advance if i can. You get
                  down this way pop in. Broke a few rules to day in the
                  old goat pen and built three small beds the pen is
                  steep could be as much as a 1' drop in 6' to 10' think
                  i'll check tomorrow. So i contoured them in with a hoe
                  than we collected up the sprouts and replanted in the
                  first bed. they are only 4' by 12' in this area took a
                  good part of the day due to the compaction of the
                  goats. don't like breaking the ground but the slope is
                  hard to walk on and needs the leveling of the beds to
                  walk without slipping this area is bare of grass i'll
                  try to get some pictures tomorrow. i also need some
                  semi control areas for my markets and demonstration
                  planting as we did the wild areas is a big stretch for
                  many in this area, so a bit of both will help them
                  open up to the possibility.

                  i'll look to hear from you as you get settled in,Do
                  you want to talk about doing a melon patch together?
                  you have the heat i may have the market place.

                  Do Well, Les

                  --- buttahfly@... wrote:

                  > hi Les
                  > Sounds exciting what you are doing. I have not had
                  > a spare moment since we
                  > contacted, still hoping to drop by for a
                  > visit.Haven't been on the Internet
                  > even for weeks. Just about to move my shop out of
                  > Clearlake Oaks and to the
                  > land by April 11.
                  > Brian Kennedy
                  >> > --- sbecc@... wrote:

                  __________________________________
                  Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                • buttahfly@xprs.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6 12:23 PM
                    I would be open to a melon patch, I'll mention it to my partner. We would
                    love to visit, and welcome your visits as well. My cell is 707 695 6544. I
                    was down in Santa Rosa yesterday but it was getting dark, I would have gone
                    over to Sebaastopol if it had been a bit earlier. I am still open to helping
                    with welding on your solar H2O setup, I want to do one for myself as well. I
                    fixed up an old h2o heater as a kettle with a 2 inch drain, and use it with
                    propane now. It heats 15 gal or so in 20 min and then I drain it into a half
                    wine barrel for a low rent hot tub, works great. Plan to do with wood and
                    with solar soon.
                    Best,