Getting the seed ball recipe right.

  • UrbanWild
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
      Hello,

      On Monday January 25, 2005 - I finished making my second batch of seed balls
      and from

      5 cups of clay
      3 cups of soil**
      1 cup of seed

      I was able to make 164 seed balls.

      I wasn't making them all - it was part of a group project - so they do vary
      in size.
      Is the number right? It seems low.

      A problem I had when I made the mix was that I added to much water.
      It definitely wasn't like cookie dough!! **So I added extra soil; that
      seemed to help.

      Drying seemed to take a long time. They are sitting on top of my 'fridge in
      metal trays.
      I know they don't have to be rock hard, but some crumble when squeezed
      between my thumb and forefinger.

      Some of the seeds on the surface of the seed balls started sprouting - [red
      clover]

      Feeback and suggestions welcome.

      Thanks,

      Al

      My Urban Garden projects
      http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
      Items wanted and Thanks [received]
      http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc
    • les landeck
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
        Took a run into your web site, nice job. i'll save it.

        Les

        --- UrbanWild <urbanwild@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > On Monday January 25, 2005 - I finished making my
        > second batch of seed balls
        > and from
        >
        > 5 cups of clay
        > 3 cups of soil**
        > 1 cup of seed
        >
        > I was able to make 164 seed balls.
        >
        > I wasn't making them all - it was part of a group
        > project - so they do vary
        > in size.
        > Is the number right? It seems low.
        >
        > A problem I had when I made the mix was that I added
        > to much water.
        > It definitely wasn't like cookie dough!! **So I
        > added extra soil; that
        > seemed to help.
        >
        > Drying seemed to take a long time. They are sitting
        > on top of my 'fridge in
        > metal trays.
        > I know they don't have to be rock hard, but some
        > crumble when squeezed
        > between my thumb and forefinger.
        >
        > Some of the seeds on the surface of the seed balls
        > started sprouting - [red
        > clover]
        >
        > Feeback and suggestions welcome.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Al
        >
        > My Urban Garden projects
        > http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
        > Items wanted and Thanks [received]
        > http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc

        > --------------------~-->
        > Give underprivileged students the materials they
        > need to learn.
        > Bring education to life by funding a specific
        > classroom project.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/S_B0zD/_WnJAA/a8ILAA/bAOolB/TM

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • Calin A. Radulescu
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2005
          did enybody try using bentonite clay instead of red
          clay for making seedballs ? it should be readily
          available at
          farm supply stores as it is used for sealing the
          bottom
          of farm ponds (among other things). just an ideea .

          c.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Jonah Pachuau
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14, 2005
            Hello I have been reading alot about bentonite clay in some hobby books. I
            want to know how i can find it in nature. Is it the black mucky clay that
            is used by potters?

            Manage information better. Optimise your tasks.
            http://www.microsoft.com/india/office/experience/ Experience MS Office
            System.
          • Calin A. Radulescu
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 15, 2005
              actually it's the gray stuff commonly used as kitty
              litter. i'm not so sure if it can be easily found in
              nature, but that doesn't mean it's man made either;
              just like table salt or coal, bentonite clay is mined
              from many places around the world and then milled to
              a fine powder. some people claim that has healing
              properties as it was used by native americans, etc.
              here are some links that i found :

              http://www.botanical.com/products/learn/bentonite.html

              http://www.sfbakc.org/koienews/clayvsclay.html

              http://www.dow.wau.nl/ssg/publ/Heijnen.htm

              --- Jonah Pachuau <jonahpach@...> wrote:

              > Hello I have been reading alot about bentonite clay
              > in some hobby books. I
              > want to know how i can find it in nature. Is it the
              > black mucky clay that
              > is used by potters?

              > Manage information better. Optimise your tasks.
              > http://www.microsoft.com/india/office/experience/
              > Experience MS Office
              > System.

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • Royal A. Purdy
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15, 2005
                Jonah,

                No, the common commercial types of Sodium Bentonite that I am aware
                of have a light brown sugar color to it. Bentonite is a generic term.
                You will want to ask yourself first "Why you are using any
                material?", before you do so. So Jonah, why Bentonite? The online
                sales pitch for homeopathic Bentonite use is mostly a function of the
                particle size of most all "clays"; that is to say any clay
                (Red,
                Blue, etc.) would sooth the skin if so applied. Bentonite does indeed
                absorb "poisons" – "toxins" of various cattle
                feed sources if so
                applied internally; do you have toxins in you that need
                "absorbing"?

                Ask your retailer for an (MSDS) Material Safety Data Sheet (they must
                give you a copy)for your source of "Bentonite Clay" and read
                it all –
                understand the hazards of its use, know its total ingredient list,
                safety precautions, etc. before attempting to use it for any purpose.

                All persons handling any dry clay powder should always wear a
                respirator while working with it. Bentonite clay wouldn't be my first
                choice for seed pellet use.

                Good luck. Be safe. Sincerely,

                Royal A. Purdy
                The Elysian Fields Pasture Project
                rapurdy@...

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jonah Pachuau"
                <jonahpach@h...> wrote:

                > Hello I have been reading alot about bentonite clay in some hobby
                books. I
                > want to know how i can find it in nature. Is it the black mucky
                clay that
                > is used by potters?

                > Manage information better. Optimise your tasks.
                > http://www.microsoft.com/india/office/experience/ Experience MS
                Office
                > System.
              • Malika
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 28, 2005
                  Hi there seed ball makers,

                  the clay powder question has been in my thoughts for the past month.
                  I recall that my friend used vetonite not bentonite.
                  Don't know why this was his choice.
                  Does anyone have any suggestions?

                  All the best,
                  Malika
                  in The Netherlands
                • Beatrice Gilboa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 28, 2005
                    >> I recall that my friend used vetonite not bentonite.
                    Don't know why this was his choice.

                    Malika, as a potter, I know that bentonite is a kind of binding material in glazes. It tend to keep together micro grains when they are in a solution. That maybe help for the ball clay to keep element stick to the seeds in it...

                    I don't know what is ventonite.
                    It doesn't bother me. Don't thing theses details are so important.

                    I think any clay will make seed balls.
                    I just would prefer to get local clay for that use.
                    Bentonite is sell in powder in potter supplyer,
                    if you like the idea of it,
                    you can add a very small quantity in your local clay.

                    All the best
                    Beatrice
                    Udim, Israel

                  • BT Benjaminson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1 12:26 AM
                      Beatrice shalom
                      Do you know the name and phone number of an Israeli supplier of bentonite
                      and other clays?
                      Thanks and kol tuv
                      Bat-Tzion Benjaminson @ very very busy with family now but still interested
                      in this topic

                      > >> I recall that my friend used vetonite not bentonite.
                      > Don't know why this was his choice.
                      >
                      > Malika, as a potter, I know that bentonite is a kind of binding material
                      in glazes. It tend to keep together micro grains when they are in a
                      solution. That maybe help for the ball clay to keep element stick to the
                      seeds in it...

                      > I don't know what is ventonite.
                      > It doesn't bother me. Don't thing theses details are so important.
                      >
                      > I think any clay will make seed balls.
                      > I just would prefer to get local clay for that use.
                      > Bentonite is sell in powder in potter supplyer,
                      > if you like the idea of it,
                      > you can add a very small quantity in your local clay.
                      >
                      > All the best
                      > Beatrice
                      > Udim, Israel

                    • Beatrice Gilboa
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2 10:19 AM
                        >> Do you know the name and phone number of an Israeli supplier of bentonite and other clays?

                        1) Minerco Industrial Minerals Co Ltd
                        Tel 09-8620459
                        Fax 098620459
                        (Netanya)