Re: [fukuoka_farming] mass production of seedballs

  • William Stocker
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 25, 2005
      Do you Know of the "Bockmeyer Drum? www.seedballs.net Wm.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "modest mouse" <perfect_japanese_dream@...>
      To: <fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 9:50 PM
      Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] mass production of seedballs

      > okay, Yeah, I guess certain areas are not good to plant or eat plants
      from; I really agree about that, however the main part of my question was is
      there a way to mass produce seedballs-- something easy to put together. Can
      you think about that a little bit or ask someone?

      > lucia@... wrote:
      > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, bob roque wrote:
      >
      > > There are also already many
      > > plants growing by the railroad tracks, parks,
      > > sidewalks, freeways etc. Some (maybe most)of these
      > > plants may actually even be used as a source of food,
      > > but people really don't utilize them.
      >
      > the trouble with plants along train tracks and roads is pollution.
      > one should never pick from these locations. train tracks leave alot of
      > lead, and cars leave all kinds of other pollutants.
      >
      > Lucia

    • UrbanWild
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 27, 2005
        Two technologies:

        Pedal power
        http://www.pedalpower.org/works.html

        Vintage farm plans
        http://www.thelitterbox.org/librum/i-vfp/index.htm

        Maybe you can find a way to work out a combo system.

        Al

        My Urban Garden projects
        http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
        Items wanted and Thanks [received]
        http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc

      • Maieutic4@cs.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 27, 2005
          nice sites thanks

        • bob roque
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2005
            Does anyone know what happened to the Fukuoka
            Farming website? More specifically, I was wondering
            about the list the site maintained of natural farming
            projects worldwide; I had heard that there were
            projects beginning in Italy and at Souscayrous in
            Southern France...
            Rob

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Malika
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2005
              Dear all,

              a bit more on seed ball making:
              A friend taught me to make seed balls with a small, hand
              operated cement mixer some years ago. This is what I remember:
              He used industrial clay powder, maybe bentonite. No natural
              clay because he lives in a very sandy region.
              Seeds were put in the cement mixer first. Then clay and
              water were added and mixed bit by bit, interrupted by tumbling. In
              this way, the seeds would gather a clay layer around them and form
              little round seedballs naturally, of different diameter related to the
              seed size. Some seeds would clutter together later on and form
              bigger ones.

              The result was a mix of different-sized clay balls, that were dried on
              frames with fine nets. We put these in the greenhouse, with the
              chicken living underneath. I have a picture that I'll try to upload
              to the photos section.

              In this way a considerable amount of seeds can be pelleted effectively
              in a fairly easy way. Unfortunately, I don't have more quantative
              numbers available.

              Love & growth,
              Malika
              ~~*~~
            • Robin, Maya, or Napi
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2005
                Thank you for mentioning this Rob,

                Sorry to see that the site is not accessible at the moment.

                The connection has been out for short spells now & then. Larry H (also known
                as The Saint Who Does Not Claim Sainthood, for creating & maintaining the site for
                all these years) usually catches the site within a short while when it goes down
                due to technical whatever.

                Did the site address have a change from <http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net/> or am I
                thinking of the address of a mirror site?

                Peace,
                N in Richmond, VA, USA

                bob roque wrote:

                > Does anyone know what happened to the Fukuoka
                > Farming website? More specifically, I was wondering
                > about the list the site maintained of natural farming
                > projects worldwide; I had heard that there were
                > projects beginning in Italy and at Souscayrous in
                > Southern France...
                > Rob

              • William Stocker
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2, 2005
                  Everything you need to partisipate in a :Natural Farming Revolution
                  is available on www.seedballs.com William

                  > Sorry to see that the site is not accessible at the moment.
                  >
                  > The connection has been out for short spells now & then. Larry H
                  (also known
                  > as The Saint Who Does Not Claim Sainthood, for creating & maintaining the
                  site for
                  > all these years) usually catches the site within a short while when it
                  goes down
                  > due to technical whatever.
                  >
                  > Did the site address have a change from <http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net/>
                  or am I
                  > thinking of the address of a mirror site?
                  >
                  > Peace,
                  > N in Richmond, VA, USA
                  >

                  > bob roque wrote:
                  >
                  > > Does anyone know what happened to the Fukuoka
                  > > Farming website? More specifically, I was wondering
                  > > about the list the site maintained of natural farming
                  > > projects worldwide; I had heard that there were
                  > > projects beginning in Italy and at Souscayrous in
                  > > Southern France...
                  > > Rob

                • Berin Erturk
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Hello all,
                    I'm new to the group and have been listening, afraid to ask "the same old" questions. Bob did it for me, thanks Bob.
                    Though the seedballs.com site has a lot of good material, I would also like to see some update on projects. We see grains sprouting from seed balls but no documentation on what happened as the years went by. I'm especially interested in the Green Belt Southern Europe project. Any update would be velcome. (Their web site http://www.mir.org/greenbelt/ dates back to 1999.)
                    A few words about me:
                    I'm from Turkey. Its my forth year in farming. I'm running an organic farm in north eastern Turkey. I first heard about Fukuoka back in 1980s when by pure chance I came across The One Straw Revolution in a book store. The book has been a good companion all through these years and surely affected my decision to practice farming.
                    Anyone else in the group from Turkey? from Mediterranian?

                    Berin Erturk

                    William Stocker <stoc85@...> wrote:
                    Everything you need to partisipate in a :Natural Farming Revolution
                    is available on www.seedballs.com William

                    > Sorry to see that the site is not accessible at the moment.
                    >
                    > The connection has been out for short spells now & then. Larry H
                    (also known
                    > as The Saint Who Does Not Claim Sainthood, for creating & maintaining the
                    site for
                    > all these years) usually catches the site within a short while when it
                    goes down
                    > due to technical whatever.
                    >
                    > Did the site address have a change from <http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net/>
                    or am I
                    > thinking of the address of a mirror site?
                    >
                    > Peace,
                    > N in Richmond, VA, USA
                    >

                    > bob roque wrote:
                    >
                    > > Does anyone know what happened to the Fukuoka
                    > > Farming website? More specifically, I was wondering
                    > > about the list the site maintained of natural farming
                    > > projects worldwide; I had heard that there were
                    > > projects beginning in Italy and at Souscayrous in
                    > > Southern France...
                    > > Rob

                  • bob roque
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 3, 2005
                      Thank you, William. They do have everything on the
                      seedballs site to start a natural farming revolution.
                      Except for the land.
                      Rob

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Cédric Naniot
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 4, 2005
                        Hello,
                        Sorry to see that the site is not accessible at the moment.

                        The connection has been out for short spells now & then. Larry H (also known
                        as The Saint Who Does Not Claim Sainthood, for creating & maintaining the site for
                        all these years) usually catches the site within a short while when it goes down
                        due to technical whatever.
                        The site is not accessible since at least 2004-12-22. In fact the FukuokaFarmingOL.net domain name is not registed any more (Expiration Date: 16-dec-2004).
                        I sent few emails to Larry since this this date but didn't get any answer :-(.
                        Did the site address have a change from <http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net/> or am I
                        thinking of the address of a mirror site?
                        It is the only address AFAIK. But there is an archive at http://web.archive.org/web/20040210153909/fukuokafarmingol.net/. It seems up to date and almost complete except for pictures.

                        Cédric.

                      • Beatrice Gilboa
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 4, 2005
                          Welcome Berin Erturk,
                          You asked:
                          >> Anyone else in the group from Turkey? from Mediterranian?

                          - I'm in Israel, along the coast with a sandy soil above clay underground.
                          But with a very tiny surface growing only part of vegetables that I'm
                          eating.
                          It's now for us the main season for green, it's too hot in summer.

                          >>I'm especially interested in the Green Belt Southern Europe project. Any
                          update would be velcome.

                          If you speak German, you certainly can reach the German contact on the above
                          adress:
                          http://www.mir.org/greenbelt/english/kontakt.htm

                          I failed to reach the greek contact...which would be the closest to you.
                          I've been in contact with the portugese contact, but didn't learn about the
                          greenbelt!
                          The german contact seems the responsible for the site and the movement about
                          this greenbelt... but I drop the idea to join them. They where active
                          though, 1 or 2 years ago(?) they visit Israel, but I was not available then.

                          >> I first heard about Fukuoka back in 1980s when by pure chance I came
                          across The One Straw Revolution in a book store.

                          - Smiling reading that... "pure chance" is sometime some how divine act :-))

                          Best wishes
                          Beatrice
                          village Udim, south Netanya city, Israel
                        • bob roque
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 5, 2005
                            Hello all,
                            I was wondering if anyone on the list could share
                            their experiences with buying land (in America),
                            obtaining loans, what sort of savings might be
                            expected, and so forth. Since encountering Fukuoka a
                            number of years ago my interest in making a real
                            attempt at natural farming has only continued to grow.
                            Now that I've had some experience with "conventional"
                            organic farming (was that an oxymoron?) I've begun to
                            think quite seriously about the direction I should
                            begin moving in. For instance, what happens when you
                            draw up a business plan for a farm and try to explain
                            to your loan officer that you don't need to buy a
                            tractor?
                            I've been exposed to a number of younger farmers
                            who have been leasing their acreage, which makes
                            better (or should I say realistic) financial sense for
                            someone starting out. The idea is fistly to learn the
                            skills needed without taking a major risk. Then you
                            can begin to devolop a customer base, so that when you
                            do finally buy land the customers come with you and
                            you hit the ground running, so to speak. For a
                            natural farm, however, I don't think there is any such
                            thing as hitting the ground running. The first thing
                            that I've begun to anticipate is that it takes time
                            for the system to evolve and to come into balance.
                            I'm sure everyone has heard anecdotes from time to
                            time of someone running an experiment in a small part
                            of a field where they till, plant row crops, and let
                            the weeds take over because Fukuoka said that "weeds
                            are good." Discouraged by the results, all further
                            efforts are abandoned.
                            Within nature, a disturbed ecosystem, such as a
                            plowed field, cannot be expected to reach maturity, or
                            to resemble anything other than chaos, within one
                            season. Opportunistic plants, or "weeds," become part
                            of the transition, until over time more patterns can
                            be observed. It probably takes a little bit of
                            sustained effort to develop the sensitivty needed to
                            be in tune with the cycles of seasonal weeds, and to
                            time your plantings. You would, I imagine, need to at
                            least have the security of remaining on the same land.
                            In Burlington, Vermont, there are a number of
                            organic farms more or less within the city, and many
                            of them are following a model of cooperative or
                            collective ownership. There is a general recognition
                            among the some of the other farmers trying to hire
                            help each season that this co-op method is far more
                            appropriate for quite a number of reasons. I would be
                            interested to learn if there are any (younger?) folks
                            giving some serious thought to natural farming, so
                            that there might be the possibility of pooling
                            resources and energy, and starting a farm in the US.
                            I would guess that somewhere in the southeast would be
                            the best place to look at, where it would be warm
                            enough and wet enough to hopefully make succession
                            plantings of grain, and grow a larger diversity of
                            orchard trees. (Irrigation becomes a major problem in
                            the west, where it doesn't rain all summer, and it's
                            too cold in the north to have a very substantial
                            growing season. In Vermont it can sometimes be winter
                            for five months out of the year!).
                            It makes my head spin a little bit thinking of
                            trying to do a thing like this on my own, and at the
                            least I would really appreciate lots of advice.
                            Thanks,
                            Rob
                            PS: If anyone is interested in moving to Burlington,
                            Vermont, and participating in a community of organic
                            urban farmers, I know of a couple internships this
                            season.

                            http://my.yahoo.com
                          • José da Costa Ramos
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 9, 2005
                              Hello Berin

                              I am in Portugal. In the south of Portugal. Me and my wife live in a
                              farm for 5 years. Our climate here is pretty influenced by
                              mediterranian. I presume the green belt doesnt exist anymore.

                              José da Costa Ramos
                              On Thursday, Feb 3, 2005, at 09:01 Europe/Lisbon, Berin Erturk wrote:

                              > Hello all,
                              > I'm new to the group and have been listening, afraid to ask "the same
                              > old" questions. Bob did it for me, thanks Bob.
                              > Though the seedballs.com site has a lot of good material, I would also
                              > like to see some update on projects. We see grains sprouting from seed
                              > balls but no documentation on what happened as the years went by. I'm
                              > especially interested in the Green Belt Southern Europe project. Any
                              > update would be velcome. (Their web site http://www.mir.org/greenbelt/
                              > dates back to 1999.)
                              > A few words about me:
                              > I'm from Turkey. Its my forth year in farming. I'm running an organic
                              > farm in north eastern Turkey. I first heard about Fukuoka back in
                              > 1980s when by pure chance I came across The One Straw Revolution in a
                              > book store. The book has been a good companion all through these years
                              > and surely affected my decision to practice farming.
                              > Anyone else in the group from Turkey? from Mediterranian?
                              >
                              > Berin Erturk
                              >
                              > William Stocker <stoc85@...> wrote:
                              > Everything you need to partisipate in a :Natural Farming Revolution
                              > is available on www.seedballs.com William

                            • ligerodeequipaje
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 9, 2005
                                Hello José and Berin

                                I live in Andalucía, southern spain. I am interested in the green belt.

                                I would appreciate any kind of information about the status of this
                                project.

                                Regards
                                Mike

                                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, José da Costa Ramos
                                <jose.dacosta@c...> wrote:
                                > Hello Berin
                                >
                                > I am in Portugal. In the south of Portugal. Me and my wife live in a
                                > farm for 5 years. Our climate here is pretty influenced by
                                > mediterranian. I presume the green belt doesnt exist anymore.
                                >
                                > José da Costa Ramos
                                > On Thursday, Feb 3, 2005, at 09:01 Europe/Lisbon, Berin Erturk wrote:
                                >

                                > > Hello all,
                                > > I'm new to the group and have been listening, afraid to ask "the same
                                > > old" questions. Bob did it for me, thanks Bob.
                                > > Though the seedballs.com site has a lot of good material, I would
                                also
                                > > like to see some update on projects. We see grains sprouting from
                                seed
                                > > balls but no documentation on what happened as the years went by. I'm
                                > > especially interested in the Green Belt Southern Europe project. Any
                                > > update would be velcome. (Their web site
                                http://www.mir.org/greenbelt/
                                > > dates back to 1999.)
                                > > A few words about me:
                                > > I'm from Turkey. Its my forth year in farming. I'm running an organic
                                > > farm in north eastern Turkey. I first heard about Fukuoka back in
                                > > 1980s when by pure chance I came across The One Straw Revolution in a
                                > > book store. The book has been a good companion all through these
                                years
                                > > and surely affected my decision to practice farming.
                                > > Anyone else in the group from Turkey? from Mediterranian?
                                > >
                                > > Berin Erturk
                                > >
                                > > William Stocker <stoc85@s...> wrote:
                                > > Everything you need to partisipate in a :Natural Farming Revolution
                                > > is available on www.seedballs.com William

                                Service.

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • modest mouse