One hundred seeds for seed balls?

  • alice@am464.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
      Hi all,

      I am planning to spread seedballs in my small orchard this
      Spring. Fukuoka recommends one hundred kinds of seeds.

      Will anyone in the UK please give me some food seeds? I can save
      some from my food, e.g. apples, tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, and I
      hope to have saved about £40 to buy seed by then, which will buy
      about 20 packets of organic seeds (at least these are adapted to
      live soil rather than chemically-maintained). But I am still
      short of another 70 kinds. =)

      Or can anyone tell me whether fewer than 100 kinds would be okay?
      I suspect that given the goodness of earth fewer would work even
      if 100 is ideal. Maybe the "100 kinds" is to enlarge human ideas
      of how many kinds of food plants there are?

      Thanks and blessings.

      Alice
    • Beatrice Gilboa
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
        Do you know a cheap way to get water from air?

        I saw ones on tv program an original technique used in Peru along the desert cost:

        Putting very thin nets vertically(like mosquitoes nets) that was catching the humidity of the air.(Well oriented according to the wind)It was collected each morning in kind of basin put under the nets... This water saved a village from the dependance of the water brought from far away...

        There the humidity comes from the pacific ocean...
        I suppose to get enough water you need enough humidity in your air...

        Best wishes
        Beatrice

        Udim, Israel

      • SArjuna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
          Beastrice wrote:
          > Putting  very thin nets vertically(like mosquitoes nets) that was catching
          > the humidity of the air.(Well oriented according to the wind)It was collected
          > each morning in kind of basin put under the nets... This water saved a
          > village from the dependance of the water brought from far away...
          >
          > There the humidity comes from the pacific ocean...
          > I suppose to get enough water you need enough humidity in your air...
          >
          > Yes, you have to have high humidity for this. I read that the trees on
          the tops of some NE USA mountains where there is a lot of fog but little rain
          act in this same way. Water condenses on their needles and drips down to
          water the ground. Where man has cut down the trees, the areas then become
          arid.

        • Rodolfo Neugebauer
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
            I found http://www.airwatercorp.com/
            They have an expensive solution to get water from air, and you need a
            a eletric power source also.

            I was thinking about a simple way to push air (using wind power) thru
            tubes ground plunged.
            There is some temperature difference between atmosphere and ground.
            Soil is colder than atmosphere and maybe we could condense the water
            thru a long tube.
            Of course this tube must be plunged with declivity.

            Does someone could try this ?

            I don´t know how to push the air. May be some kind of funnel that
            remains all the time looking to the wind.

            Imagine: the water flowing, growing plants, people drinking.

            Bye

            Rodolfo Neugebauer

            > > Putting very thin nets vertically(like mosquitoes nets) that was
            catching
            > > the humidity of the air.(Well oriented according to the wind)It
            was collected
            > > each morning in kind of basin put under the nets... This water
            saved a
            > > village from the dependance of the water brought from far away...
            > >
            > > There the humidity comes from the pacific ocean...
            > > I suppose to get enough water you need enough humidity in your air...
            > >
            > > Yes, you have to have high humidity for this. I read that
            the trees on
            > the tops of some NE USA mountains where there is a lot of fog but
            little rain
            > act in this same way. Water condenses on their needles and drips
            down to
            > water the ground. Where man has cut down the trees, the areas then
            become
            > arid.

          • Greg and Garbo
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
              Hey,

              I remember seeing a program on this subject on TV a while back. The program
              showed how a simple pile of loosely fitting rocks that cooled during the
              night, could then condense humidity from moist morning air moving thru the
              rocks. This provided enough moisture to change the micro-climate around the
              rocks, which allowed a different variety of plants to grow near the pile of
              rocks.

              Thanks,
              Greg

              On 1/13/05 5:39 PM, "Rodolfo Neugebauer" <rneugeba@...> wrote:

              > I found http://www.airwatercorp.com/
              > They have an expensive solution to get water from air, and you need a
              > a eletric power source also.
              >
              > I was thinking about a simple way to push air (using wind power) thru
              > tubes ground plunged.
              > There is some temperature difference between atmosphere and ground.
              > Soil is colder than atmosphere and maybe we could condense the water
              > thru a long tube.
              > Of course this tube must be plunged with declivity.
              >
              > Does someone could try this ?
              >
              > I don´t know how to push the air. May be some kind of funnel that
              > remains all the time looking to the wind.
              >
              > Imagine: the water flowing, growing plants, people drinking.
              >
              > Bye
              >
              > Rodolfo Neugebauer

            • Elinor Jean
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                Greg wrote about rock mulches around trees and plants -- they are superb.
                In our garden plants always grow heaps better where there is a loose
                fitting layer of rocks over the top. I'm guessing this has both to do with
                water and heat control.

                Other possible ways to trap water -- all of course require some degree of
                humidity:

                > Get black plastic pipe, leave it in the hot hot sun and cap its ends
                when still very hot. Then take the caps off very early morning and there
                should be condensation. I've no idea whether there would be enough water
                there for a garden though.

                > Make water traps like survival manuals tell you to do if stuck in the
                desert.... You just pin a piece of plastic to the ground and make sure the
                centre is indented. Leave it overnight. As condensation gathers on the
                surface of the plastic it runs down and collects. One would presumably want
                to harvest the water before it evaporated again. If one had fruit trees
                with wells around thenm you could just make the tree itself the
                indentation. I don't know if the plastic sitting on the ground would damage
                the soil underneath though.

                > I have always wanted to make the nets that Beatrice wrote about. It is
                quite wet at our place at night, so it might work. Speaking of vegetation
                trapping moisture, this is perfectly true. Two occasions in my life have
                been truly memorable. Both times we were driving across dry, dusty, barren
                farmland with only scattered trees. It was hot and hideous. When we entered
                native bushland though -- such as a national park -- suddenly there was
                water. There was misty rain, with water dripping from the leaves. The water
                was even flowing across the ground -- truly awesome. It was so hard to
                believe that only 2 or 3 kilometres back it was as dry as dust.

                I think incredibly important for keeping a garden moist is doing things the
                fukuoka way and not disturbing the soil. Where the soil is not disturbed
                and a rich variety of plants cover the top, it is often incredibly cool and
                moist underneath. But when you dig it up, the soil becomes finer and loses
                the moisture. And the beautiful, healthy structure goes too. Then the
                garden will definitely need extra water.

                Better go, much love to all,
                Eli.

              • Elinor Jean
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                  My last email was very long so I'll do this separately:

                  I read some stuff on the internet by Fukuoka about greening the desert a
                  while back, but the information was not very specific. I am trying to
                  garden in a very dry climate, in the middle of the drought, so I would like
                  to apply some of his principles. Plus experiment a little.

                  Does anyone know of any good references for this? Or have some experience?
                  Recommendations for food plants that like the dry would be good too.

                  Thanks, Elin.

                • William Stocker
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                    Is someone paying you to divert from fukuokas teachings? William
                    > They have an expensive solution to get water from air, and you need a
                    > a eletric power source also.
                    >
                    > I was thinking about a simple way to push air (using wind power) thru
                    > tubes ground plunged.
                    > There is some temperature difference between atmosphere and ground.
                    > Soil is colder than atmosphere and maybe we could condense the water
                    > thru a long tube.
                    > Of course this tube must be plunged with declivity.
                    >
                    > Does someone could try this ?
                    >
                    > I don´t know how to push the air. May be some kind of funnel that
                    > remains all the time looking to the wind.
                    >
                    > Imagine: the water flowing, growing plants, people drinking.
                    >
                    > Bye
                    >
                    > Rodolfo Neugebauer

                  • Chandrakant Deokar
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                       hi all,

                      collect dew on the plants in early morning...

                      chandrakant Deokar

                    • Rodolfo Neugebauer
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 14, 2005
                        Dear William

                        Last week, I visited a small town inside my country, named "Riacho dos Machados".
                        Riacho means small river. That river doesn't exist any more.
                        My relatives retired from this city about 1939, during a very greate water missing.
                        This city has 9.000 people, and half of then doesn't have any earning and the water is missing day by day.

                        I believe that around the world there is a lot of people with the same problems.

                        Do you think you could help then get water?

                        I hope so.

                        Rodolfo

                        De:"William Stocker" stoc85@...

                        Para:fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

                        Cópia:"William Stocker" stoc85@...

                        Data:Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:05:54 -0800

                        > Is someone paying you to divert from fukuokas teachings? William

                      • Dennis
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 14, 2005
                          An issue I see with this is the potential for mold in the tubes.

                          Dennis

                          Rodolfo Neugebauer wrote:

                          >I found http://www.airwatercorp.com/
                          >They have an expensive solution to get water from air, and you need a
                          >a eletric power source also.
                          >
                          >I was thinking about a simple way to push air (using wind power) thru
                          >tubes ground plunged.
                          >There is some temperature difference between atmosphere and ground.
                          >Soil is colder than atmosphere and maybe we could condense the water
                          >thru a long tube.
                          >Of course this tube must be plunged with declivity.
                          >
                          >Does someone could try this ?
                          >
                          >I don´t know how to push the air. May be some kind of funnel that
                          >remains all the time looking to the wind.
                          >
                          >Imagine: the water flowing, growing plants, people drinking.
                          >
                          >Bye
                          >
                          >Rodolfo Neugebauer

                        • Vinay
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 14, 2005
                            Check this link..it has some real life stories and traditional techniques.

                            http://www.rainwaterharvesting.org/Rural/Raj-Samadhiyala.htm

                            One more... on efforts of Rajinder singh in Rajasthan (india)...

                            http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/lists/html/dam-l/2000/msg00347.html

                            But i suppose not from thin air!!!!???
                            HTH

                            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Rodolfo Neugebauer"
                            <rneugeba@t...> wrote:
                            > Dear William
                            >
                            > Last week, I visited a small town inside my country, named "Riacho
                            dos Machados".
                            > Riacho means small river. That river doesn't exist any more.
                            > My relatives retired from this city about 1939, during a very greate
                            water missing.
                            > This city has 9.000 people, and half of then doesn't have any
                            earning and the water is missing day by day.

                            > I believe that around the world there is a lot of people with the
                            same problems.

                            > Do you think you could help then get water?
                            >
                            > I hope so.
                            >
                            > Rodolfo
                          • William Stocker
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 14, 2005
                              stoc85@...
                              As Fukuoka would say "No. Thank you very much. Your
                              Small Town needs water storage and Composting Toilets.
                              This sight is about "Natural Farming.
                              Your town could possibly pull its self up by its bootstraps with
                              Natural Farming. There is enough on the two web sites,
                              even without the "hard to get books. William