Re: [fukuoka_farming] Water from air

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 12, 2005
      Would you please say how.

      William Stocker wrote:

      > Yes I do.
      >
      > William

    • William Stocker
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 12, 2005
        Read all 14 pages of it. I think you will enjoy what you will learn.
        William

      • alice@am464.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
          Hi all,

          I am planning to spread seedballs in my small orchard this
          Spring. Fukuoka recommends one hundred kinds of seeds.

          Will anyone in the UK please give me some food seeds? I can save
          some from my food, e.g. apples, tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, and I
          hope to have saved about £40 to buy seed by then, which will buy
          about 20 packets of organic seeds (at least these are adapted to
          live soil rather than chemically-maintained). But I am still
          short of another 70 kinds. =)

          Or can anyone tell me whether fewer than 100 kinds would be okay?
          I suspect that given the goodness of earth fewer would work even
          if 100 is ideal. Maybe the "100 kinds" is to enlarge human ideas
          of how many kinds of food plants there are?

          Thanks and blessings.

          Alice
        • Beatrice Gilboa
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
            Do you know a cheap way to get water from air?

            I saw ones on tv program an original technique used in Peru along the desert cost:

            Putting very thin nets vertically(like mosquitoes nets) that was catching the humidity of the air.(Well oriented according to the wind)It was collected each morning in kind of basin put under the nets... This water saved a village from the dependance of the water brought from far away...

            There the humidity comes from the pacific ocean...
            I suppose to get enough water you need enough humidity in your air...

            Best wishes
            Beatrice

            Udim, Israel

          • SArjuna@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
              Beastrice wrote:
              > Putting  very thin nets vertically(like mosquitoes nets) that was catching
              > the humidity of the air.(Well oriented according to the wind)It was collected
              > each morning in kind of basin put under the nets... This water saved a
              > village from the dependance of the water brought from far away...
              >
              > There the humidity comes from the pacific ocean...
              > I suppose to get enough water you need enough humidity in your air...
              >
              > Yes, you have to have high humidity for this. I read that the trees on
              the tops of some NE USA mountains where there is a lot of fog but little rain
              act in this same way. Water condenses on their needles and drips down to
              water the ground. Where man has cut down the trees, the areas then become
              arid.

            • Rodolfo Neugebauer
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                I found http://www.airwatercorp.com/
                They have an expensive solution to get water from air, and you need a
                a eletric power source also.

                I was thinking about a simple way to push air (using wind power) thru
                tubes ground plunged.
                There is some temperature difference between atmosphere and ground.
                Soil is colder than atmosphere and maybe we could condense the water
                thru a long tube.
                Of course this tube must be plunged with declivity.

                Does someone could try this ?

                I don´t know how to push the air. May be some kind of funnel that
                remains all the time looking to the wind.

                Imagine: the water flowing, growing plants, people drinking.

                Bye

                Rodolfo Neugebauer

                > > Putting very thin nets vertically(like mosquitoes nets) that was
                catching
                > > the humidity of the air.(Well oriented according to the wind)It
                was collected
                > > each morning in kind of basin put under the nets... This water
                saved a
                > > village from the dependance of the water brought from far away...
                > >
                > > There the humidity comes from the pacific ocean...
                > > I suppose to get enough water you need enough humidity in your air...
                > >
                > > Yes, you have to have high humidity for this. I read that
                the trees on
                > the tops of some NE USA mountains where there is a lot of fog but
                little rain
                > act in this same way. Water condenses on their needles and drips
                down to
                > water the ground. Where man has cut down the trees, the areas then
                become
                > arid.

              • Greg and Garbo
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                  Hey,

                  I remember seeing a program on this subject on TV a while back. The program
                  showed how a simple pile of loosely fitting rocks that cooled during the
                  night, could then condense humidity from moist morning air moving thru the
                  rocks. This provided enough moisture to change the micro-climate around the
                  rocks, which allowed a different variety of plants to grow near the pile of
                  rocks.

                  Thanks,
                  Greg

                  On 1/13/05 5:39 PM, "Rodolfo Neugebauer" <rneugeba@...> wrote:

                  > I found http://www.airwatercorp.com/
                  > They have an expensive solution to get water from air, and you need a
                  > a eletric power source also.
                  >
                  > I was thinking about a simple way to push air (using wind power) thru
                  > tubes ground plunged.
                  > There is some temperature difference between atmosphere and ground.
                  > Soil is colder than atmosphere and maybe we could condense the water
                  > thru a long tube.
                  > Of course this tube must be plunged with declivity.
                  >
                  > Does someone could try this ?
                  >
                  > I don´t know how to push the air. May be some kind of funnel that
                  > remains all the time looking to the wind.
                  >
                  > Imagine: the water flowing, growing plants, people drinking.
                  >
                  > Bye
                  >
                  > Rodolfo Neugebauer

                • Elinor Jean
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                    Greg wrote about rock mulches around trees and plants -- they are superb.
                    In our garden plants always grow heaps better where there is a loose
                    fitting layer of rocks over the top. I'm guessing this has both to do with
                    water and heat control.

                    Other possible ways to trap water -- all of course require some degree of
                    humidity:

                    > Get black plastic pipe, leave it in the hot hot sun and cap its ends
                    when still very hot. Then take the caps off very early morning and there
                    should be condensation. I've no idea whether there would be enough water
                    there for a garden though.

                    > Make water traps like survival manuals tell you to do if stuck in the
                    desert.... You just pin a piece of plastic to the ground and make sure the
                    centre is indented. Leave it overnight. As condensation gathers on the
                    surface of the plastic it runs down and collects. One would presumably want
                    to harvest the water before it evaporated again. If one had fruit trees
                    with wells around thenm you could just make the tree itself the
                    indentation. I don't know if the plastic sitting on the ground would damage
                    the soil underneath though.

                    > I have always wanted to make the nets that Beatrice wrote about. It is
                    quite wet at our place at night, so it might work. Speaking of vegetation
                    trapping moisture, this is perfectly true. Two occasions in my life have
                    been truly memorable. Both times we were driving across dry, dusty, barren
                    farmland with only scattered trees. It was hot and hideous. When we entered
                    native bushland though -- such as a national park -- suddenly there was
                    water. There was misty rain, with water dripping from the leaves. The water
                    was even flowing across the ground -- truly awesome. It was so hard to
                    believe that only 2 or 3 kilometres back it was as dry as dust.

                    I think incredibly important for keeping a garden moist is doing things the
                    fukuoka way and not disturbing the soil. Where the soil is not disturbed
                    and a rich variety of plants cover the top, it is often incredibly cool and
                    moist underneath. But when you dig it up, the soil becomes finer and loses
                    the moisture. And the beautiful, healthy structure goes too. Then the
                    garden will definitely need extra water.

                    Better go, much love to all,
                    Eli.

                  • Elinor Jean
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                      My last email was very long so I'll do this separately:

                      I read some stuff on the internet by Fukuoka about greening the desert a
                      while back, but the information was not very specific. I am trying to
                      garden in a very dry climate, in the middle of the drought, so I would like
                      to apply some of his principles. Plus experiment a little.

                      Does anyone know of any good references for this? Or have some experience?
                      Recommendations for food plants that like the dry would be good too.

                      Thanks, Elin.

                    • William Stocker
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                        Is someone paying you to divert from fukuokas teachings? William
                        > They have an expensive solution to get water from air, and you need a
                        > a eletric power source also.
                        >
                        > I was thinking about a simple way to push air (using wind power) thru
                        > tubes ground plunged.
                        > There is some temperature difference between atmosphere and ground.
                        > Soil is colder than atmosphere and maybe we could condense the water
                        > thru a long tube.
                        > Of course this tube must be plunged with declivity.
                        >
                        > Does someone could try this ?
                        >
                        > I don´t know how to push the air. May be some kind of funnel that
                        > remains all the time looking to the wind.
                        >
                        > Imagine: the water flowing, growing plants, people drinking.
                        >
                        > Bye
                        >
                        > Rodolfo Neugebauer

                      • Chandrakant Deokar
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                           hi all,

                          collect dew on the plants in early morning...

                          chandrakant Deokar

                        • Rodolfo Neugebauer
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 14, 2005
                            Dear William

                            Last week, I visited a small town inside my country, named "Riacho dos Machados".
                            Riacho means small river. That river doesn't exist any more.
                            My relatives retired from this city about 1939, during a very greate water missing.
                            This city has 9.000 people, and half of then doesn't have any earning and the water is missing day by day.

                            I believe that around the world there is a lot of people with the same problems.

                            Do you think you could help then get water?

                            I hope so.

                            Rodolfo

                            De:"William Stocker" stoc85@...

                            Para:fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

                            Cópia:"William Stocker" stoc85@...

                            Data:Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:05:54 -0800

                            > Is someone paying you to divert from fukuokas teachings? William

                          • Dennis
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 14, 2005
                              An issue I see with this is the potential for mold in the tubes.

                              Dennis

                              Rodolfo Neugebauer wrote:

                              >I found http://www.airwatercorp.com/
                              >They have an expensive solution to get water from air, and you need a
                              >a eletric power source also.
                              >
                              >I was thinking about a simple way to push air (using wind power) thru
                              >tubes ground plunged.
                              >There is some temperature difference between atmosphere and ground.
                              >Soil is colder than atmosphere and maybe we could condense the water
                              >thru a long tube.
                              >Of course this tube must be plunged with declivity.
                              >
                              >Does someone could try this ?
                              >
                              >I don´t know how to push the air. May be some kind of funnel that
                              >remains all the time looking to the wind.
                              >
                              >Imagine: the water flowing, growing plants, people drinking.
                              >
                              >Bye
                              >
                              >Rodolfo Neugebauer

                            • Vinay
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 14, 2005
                                Check this link..it has some real life stories and traditional techniques.

                                http://www.rainwaterharvesting.org/Rural/Raj-Samadhiyala.htm

                                One more... on efforts of Rajinder singh in Rajasthan (india)...

                                http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/lists/html/dam-l/2000/msg00347.html

                                But i suppose not from thin air!!!!???
                                HTH

                                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Rodolfo Neugebauer"
                                <rneugeba@t...> wrote:
                                > Dear William
                                >
                                > Last week, I visited a small town inside my country, named "Riacho
                                dos Machados".
                                > Riacho means small river. That river doesn't exist any more.
                                > My relatives retired from this city about 1939, during a very greate
                                water missing.
                                > This city has 9.000 people, and half of then doesn't have any
                                earning and the water is missing day by day.

                                > I believe that around the world there is a lot of people with the
                                same problems.

                                > Do you think you could help then get water?
                                >
                                > I hope so.
                                >
                                > Rodolfo
                              • William Stocker
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 14, 2005
                                  stoc85@...
                                  As Fukuoka would say "No. Thank you very much. Your
                                  Small Town needs water storage and Composting Toilets.
                                  This sight is about "Natural Farming.
                                  Your town could possibly pull its self up by its bootstraps with
                                  Natural Farming. There is enough on the two web sites,
                                  even without the "hard to get books. William