Re: maple tapping - more ideas

  • stonepylon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hi again!

      Just a couple more links and ideas.

      DIY Evaporator:
      http://www.motherearthnews.com/arc/5919/

      Also try going to http://www.motherearthnews.com/index.php?
      page=archindex and typing "maple" or "syrup" or "sugar" into the
      search box at top right (not on the left - that's the book search).

      I thought I read about a solar evaporator someone used to make
      molasses, but can't seem to find it. What about using the parabolic
      solar mechanism (usually used to make a solar stove) to concentrate
      heat and boil the syrup? With molasses-making, they use several
      metal trays in a line, evaporating the water out more in each tray,
      and sometimes maple syrup is made the same way. One could use a
      parabolic setup to heat each tray and perhaps speed the operation.
      There are many places on the internet to get clear instructions on
      making these parabolic setups at home, using cheap and available
      materials. I like http://solarcooking.org/ - under "Plans", click
      on "Parabolic Cookers".

      She.Rex
      http://www.stonepylon.com/garden/Why_Ecological_Gardening.html