Re: maple tapping

  • stonepylon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hi!

      I don't say much here, but I thought this might be useful to
      someone. You can concentrate the sugars not only by evaporation,
      which requires a lot of fuel, but also by freezing. If you have a
      freezer that you use all the time anyway, you might like to try it.

      Here is an article from Mother Earth News that tells how:
      http://www.motherearthnews.com/arc/4891/

      Happy sugaring!

      She.Rex
    • stonepylon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005
        Hi again!

        Just a couple more links and ideas.

        DIY Evaporator:
        http://www.motherearthnews.com/arc/5919/

        Also try going to http://www.motherearthnews.com/index.php?
        page=archindex and typing "maple" or "syrup" or "sugar" into the
        search box at top right (not on the left - that's the book search).

        I thought I read about a solar evaporator someone used to make
        molasses, but can't seem to find it. What about using the parabolic
        solar mechanism (usually used to make a solar stove) to concentrate
        heat and boil the syrup? With molasses-making, they use several
        metal trays in a line, evaporating the water out more in each tray,
        and sometimes maple syrup is made the same way. One could use a
        parabolic setup to heat each tray and perhaps speed the operation.
        There are many places on the internet to get clear instructions on
        making these parabolic setups at home, using cheap and available
        materials. I like http://solarcooking.org/ - under "Plans", click
        on "Parabolic Cookers".

        She.Rex
        http://www.stonepylon.com/garden/Why_Ecological_Gardening.html