VS: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Maple-tapping, revisited

  • EinuIf
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Karri Varpio"
      <karri.varpio@r...> wrote:

      > http://www.aurinkolehto.fi/eng/index.htm has developed a method to
      store [birch sap]
      > without heating, but they keep their method as a secret.

      I suspect that they sterilize the sap using ultraviolet light, ozone,
      or both -- the same way that chlorine-free tap-water treatment is done.
    • lucia@lrw.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
        ok. I've done some research on the net and some books such as Steve
        Brill's "Edible and Medicinal Plants" and found out that Black Birch/Sweet
        Birch/Betula Lenta has alot of nutrients. the barch provides beta
        carotene, calcium, vitamins B1 and B2, calcium, copper, iron, manganese,
        phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and silicon, xylithol, betulinal and
        glucoside. the inner bark can be eaten raw, ground into flour, or added to
        soups. I haven't found out what nutrients the sap contains, but drinking
        it raw is better than boiling it down into a highly concentrated sugar.

        several people mention making a tea by infusing the twigs but warn against
        boiling which would drive off the volatile wintergreen oils.

        has anyone done this? do you just let it sit in cold water? or pour warm
        water over it and let it sit? or gently heat to warm?

        Lucia