Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Maple-tapping, revisited

  • lucia@lrw.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
      Dear EinuIf, Andres, and Karri - thank you for all the birch tapping
      info, links, and personal experience stories.

      On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Andres Rattur wrote:

      > I have usually collected birch sap by breaking v-shaped branch and
      > putt this branch inside bottle so bottle is hanging on tree.

      I'm not clear about this. you use the branch for a support for the bottle,
      but you still have to tap the tree somehow, right?

      > Mostly I just drink this sap without making no preparation

      I wonder if there are any health benefits to drinking this sap, or is it
      just a sugar high?

      lucia
    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
        <i being a hard firm believer in passive growing
        systems (selective organic choices)that cause me much
        stress when i look at what has been done to our
        overwhelming abundance of resources here. Your point
        of the mentality and understanding is well taken. Need
        to provide in some manor is also understood. Knowledge
        and improving choices over time is what brings change.>

        could you explain what you mean by passive growing system and selective organic choices ?

        jean-claude

      • Andres Rattur
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
          Lucia wrote:
          I'm not clear about this. you use the branch for a support for the bottle, but you still have to tap the tree somehow, right?

          No I don't tap the tree. I just hang bottles up on the trees branches. It is hard to explain, I tried to draw some picture of it in Paint: http://www.hot.ee/andre66/sap.jpg

          Explanation:
          1. I cut or brake two branches, which form V (or Y).
          2. I press these two branches together, so they can go through bottle's throttle.
          3. I push branch into bottle and before pressed branches go wider, so bottle won't fall of branch.
          4. Finally the bottle hangs on trees branch and every morning I collect sap into bigger container.

          I wonder if there are any health benefits to drinking this sap, or is it just a sugar high?
          The sap has health benefits, but I don't know excactly what are these benefits. I have heard that it is good for immunity. In Karri Varpio's mail is link about birch sap produce, on that page there are writen some ingredients of this sap.

          Thanks to Karri Varpio and EinuIf about interesting information.

          ITV - Sinu lemmiksaated internetis!
          http://www.itv.ee
        • les landeck
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
            Good Morning,

            i'll start at the end and go back to the beginning.
            selective organic to me is to only use items from the
            list of whats allowed under the organic standards that
            do not compromise the beliefs of those who i provide
            for. so no blood meal, bone meal, feather meal,fish
            emulsion,,killing sprays of any form including soap
            sprays. in the past i used two or three hundred pounds
            of rock power but found my heart was not in it, as for
            the destruction caused in mining. over the past twenty
            years this has been a slow learning.

            i do use chicken and horse manure mixed with rice
            hauls or fur shavings. but i have been concern the
            past six or eight years as to the things that may have
            been done to these resources like with mushroom
            compost,from 1986 into the early 90's i worked with
            this layering it on top the soil blocking the grasses
            and this stopped the need to turn the soil (tilling)
            it was a great help and a waste produce that i didn't
            want to see go to the dump. many times i questioned
            the people at the source as to how they handled and
            prepared this material, feeling that part of their
            story was missing i want down to their operation. they
            explained the steam process that seemed fine but when
            i questioned any other sprays that they might have
            been used their body language revealed something was
            not being told, i asked the same question three times
            each time the same reaction. i find it the same with
            many sources of composting supplies. before cars a
            market grower could take a load of produce to town and
            return with a load of horse manure. not sure how they
            cleaned the wagon? when we are concerned with the
            quality of the produce we provide to the children, the
            choices become very hard to sort out.

            as Fukuoka's system of returning the rice and barley
            straw to the field that is a form of layer composting.
            using small amounts over a number of years plus the
            clover in combination with the passive system of
            flooding the field thus causing the clover and other
            wild plants to giveway, he had a control system that
            modeled nature,no soil disruption (passive).

            i grow very few 120 day crops and no three acre fields
            of rice, nor do i have the water to flood the fields,
            they are sloped and full of golfer runs. just won't
            work.

            so the question was how can i extract Fukuoka's main
            points no till, passive and apply it in another form
            that would meet the needs of a market garden that
            required three to four rotations per bed per year. if
            the land did not cost so much we could make it on one
            or two rotations that would allow crop rotations of
            green manure plantings. But without the use of flood
            irrigation how could i cause the green manure crop to
            giveway into a clean seed bed as a tilled bed would
            look? so along comes the straw, it takes a lot of
            light straw to get old growth to giveway. mushroom and
            later horse manure with fur and pine shavings came
            later. this was put down on the first application in a
            six inch layer, that on the next rotation a wheel
            barrow of chicken manure per 400 square foot bed
            (4X100) and maybe two inches of mushroom compost over
            and ready to reseed. we need to note seed if we worked
            with large transplanting machines all of this might be
            different.

            with this we had a system that worked, the cost of
            importing was off set due to the lack of maintenance
            no hand weeding or hoeing. good trade. the problem
            came in finding stable, quality sources of compost
            supplies in the volume necessary to sustain our needs.

            i think this covers your two questions Jean-Claude.
            it's just how can we grow food for the children
            without offending the requirements of a vegan life
            style. i do this in respect for others i'm a bit more
            open in my eating habits but very narrow to many, are
            not we all?

            That last lap was quite a trip 589,000,000 miles, can
            you believe 18.51 miles per second. in only one year
            to get around the Sun. All of us riding together on
            this little ball of water, rock, soil, and Life.
            buckle up and enjoy the view. as we become aware of
            our traveling companions it's good to note our Solar
            systems speed of some 155 miles per second in our
            travels around the Milky Way. seems to be helping me
            bring things into perspective.

            Happy New Year All Les

            http://my.yahoo.com
          • lucia@lrw.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
              > No I don't tap the tree. I just hang bottles up on the trees branches.
              > It is hard to explain, I tried to draw some picture of it in Paint:
              > http://www.hot.ee/andre66/sap.jpg

              ahhh. I understand now. great picture!

              > The sap has health benefits, but I don't know excactly what are these
              > benefits. I have heard that it is good for immunity. In Karri Varpio's
              > mail is link about birch sap produce, on that page there are writen
              > some ingredients of this sap.

              looks like an interesting enterprise, but I couldn't find anything
              concrete on the website about the health benefits. they've written a book
              but it looks like it's only in Finnish. I'll search for something in
              English.

              thanks again!

              Lucia
            • EinuIf
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Karri Varpio"
                <karri.varpio@r...> wrote:

                > http://www.aurinkolehto.fi/eng/index.htm has developed a method to
                store [birch sap]
                > without heating, but they keep their method as a secret.

                I suspect that they sterilize the sap using ultraviolet light, ozone,
                or both -- the same way that chlorine-free tap-water treatment is done.
              • lucia@lrw.net
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                  ok. I've done some research on the net and some books such as Steve
                  Brill's "Edible and Medicinal Plants" and found out that Black Birch/Sweet
                  Birch/Betula Lenta has alot of nutrients. the barch provides beta
                  carotene, calcium, vitamins B1 and B2, calcium, copper, iron, manganese,
                  phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and silicon, xylithol, betulinal and
                  glucoside. the inner bark can be eaten raw, ground into flour, or added to
                  soups. I haven't found out what nutrients the sap contains, but drinking
                  it raw is better than boiling it down into a highly concentrated sugar.

                  several people mention making a tea by infusing the twigs but warn against
                  boiling which would drive off the volatile wintergreen oils.

                  has anyone done this? do you just let it sit in cold water? or pour warm
                  water over it and let it sit? or gently heat to warm?

                  Lucia