Organicly growing and giving organic foods -- "The Revolution Will Be Planted and Catered!"

  • David Johnston
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      Dear Arun,

      One of the things that you may be interested in that can be tried as an "experiment in truth"
      as Gandhi would say is gift-giving. I recently attended the gift economy conference (http://www.gifteconomyconference.com and see http://www.gift-economy.com/) and came away with beautiful inspiration. As you say, "organic farming is a Benefit making...venture," I too think this. That is why I would like to suggest the idea of the gift economy to you and the fukuoka_farming list to try. Here at this website you can listen to the conference:
      Gift-conference talks in streaming Real Audio
      courtesy of FIRE/RIF (Feminist International Radio Endeavour/Radio Internacional Feminista)
      http://www.radiofeminista.net/nov04/notas/gifteconomy2.htm

      A good example of the gift economy is in the film Gifting-It, which describes how the gift economy operates at the Burning Man festival in the desert of Nevada, USA.
      http://www.giftingit.com/

      "The Revolution Will Be Planted Catered!"
      I like this book: Food Not Bombs
      by Keith McHenry, C. T. Lawrence Butler
      and this website: http://www.foodnotlawns.com/

      Aloha,

      David Johnston

      "4.Organic farming is a Benefit making( by
      > harnessing from nature) and not
      > a Profit making(exploiting nature) venture."

      Message: 5
      Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 11:23:37 +0530 (IST)
      From: aksharma@...
      Subject: Organic mentality
      HAPPY new year/ERA of
      Organic Mentality
      Organized cycle
      Occupied with diversity
      Omit competition
      with
      Nature
      It was primarily the mentality which caused ill effects of
      chemical
      (conventional) farming and not the chemical itself. It is the mentality
      and not the technology which decides the direction of development
      (Atomic
      energy-both use destructive or constructive).
      Mentality is the prime infrastructure for success of any plan.
      Thus for success of organic farming following concepts in the mentality
      are need to be imbibed.
      1.Always seek cooperation of Nature, Native(human, animal, plants) and
      Neighbor.
      2.Use Natural things/products as far as possible naturally ( Neem
      extract
      is better than isolated azadirectin).
      3. Maintained food chain as far as possible and not to make new food
      .Human being by nature is not a carnivorous.
      4.Organic farming is a Benefit making( by harnessing from nature) and
      not
      a Profit making(exploiting nature) venture.
      5.Local and Seasonal food may be better for body in a given Social and
      Climatic conditions.
      6.Principals/practices/approaches of physical science may not be every
      time applicable in biological science because of numerous complicated
      interactions.
      Think organically
      Arun K.Sharma
      Central Arid Zone Research Institute
      Jodhpur-342003,INDIA
      +91 291 2703547 / 2740789
      a.k_sharma@...
      A handbook of organic farming ( 626page)-Arun K.Sharma