Re: Maple-tapping, revisited

  • pollywog
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 29, 2004
      ---About any maple can be tapped with some level of success: as can
      the juglans (notably, black walnut). The principles are the same for
      each tapping, and of course one needs to pay attention to the final
      use of the gatherings.

      I enjoy the inclusion of tapping information other than the standard,
      since there is so much wonderful material available for use, and
      without having to destroy the source!

      Thanks, Michael! deb

      In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Inniss <mdinniss@y...> wrote:

      > Further to post #3937 by matterplay1 (12/23/2003), about tapping maples
      > outside of the well-established area for it in eastern North
      America, this
      > here is said maple-tapping brother of his, just in case anyone wants to
      > know more about tapping the Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) on the
      other
      > side of that same continent.

    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 29, 2004
        do you know about any possible toxicity for humans in walnut sap?
        jean-claude

        ---About any maple can be tapped with some level of success: as can
        the juglans (notably, black walnut). The principles are the same for
        each tapping, and of course one needs to pay attention to the final
        use of the gatherings.

        I enjoy the inclusion of tapping information other than the standard,
        since there is so much wonderful material available for use, and
        without having to destroy the source!

        Thanks, Michael! deb

        In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Inniss <mdinniss@y...> wrote:

        > Further to post #3937 by matterplay1 (12/23/2003), about tapping maples
        > outside of the well-established area for it in eastern North
        America, this
        > here is said maple-tapping brother of his, just in case anyone wants to
        > know more about tapping the Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) on the
        other
        > side of that same continent.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • lucia@lrw.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 29, 2004
          re: tapping. we have alot of black birch. does anyone have experience in
          tapping them?

          Lucia
        • EinuIf
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 30, 2004
            I have read that birches are tapped in Scandinavia, and "birch beer"
            is made from the sap.

            Many years ago, I tried tapping a Paper Birch (Betula papyrifera), in
            late winter here in southwestern British Columbia. It produced sap
            only lightly, but I gathered enough to boil down in a small pan, to
            yield just enough syrup to find out how it tasted. It was unpalatably
            bitter. I have not been tempted to experiment any further.

            The Paper Birch (aka White, or Canoe Birch) is the only one hereabout.
            It is found across Canada and a little way into the northern U.S.A.
            Other birch species might yield better results. (For that matter,
            other specimens of B. papyrifera might yield better results.)

            Likely you know this already, but "Black Birch" is one of the common
            names of two different species of eastern North America: Betula nigra,
            and B. lenta. The former is most commonly known as the River Birch,
            but also as the Red, Black, or Water Birch. The latter is commonly
            called the Sweet, Black, Cherry, or (more rarely, it seems) Spice
            Birch. "Sweet" and "Spice" come from its wintergreen scent. (A third
            eastern species, the Yellow Birch, B. alleghaniensis, also smells of
            wintergreen, but less strongly.)

            I suppose that you mean B. lenta, and that its wintergreen scent is
            what makes you interested in that birch species in particular.
            If you have Sweet Birches available to you, why not try tapping them
            this spring? My guess is that the best time would be during the
            traditional maple-tapping season of eastern North America. You might
            try drilling a test-hole a few weeks early, though -- or more than one
            test-hole if you have more than one tree. If the holes remain dry
            after a couple of weeks, try drilling some fresh ones at different
            spots. And so on, till you discover when the Sweet-Birch sap starts
            to run in your area -- assuming that it does run in gatherable
            amounts, which it might not. (Provided you have a good-size tree, it
            will not be harmed by the drilling of a few extra holes, as might
            result from the above method for finding the start of your
            birch-tapping season. The test-holes should heal up in a year, just
            as successful tap-holes do.)

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, lucia@l... wrote:
            > re: tapping. we have alot of black birch. does anyone have experience in
            > tapping them?
            >
            > Lucia
          • EinuIf
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, lucia@l... wrote:
              > re: tapping. we have alot of black birch. does anyone have experience in
              > tapping them?
              >
              > Lucia

              (#@*%#&!! I thought I posted a reply to this yesterday. I don't know
              what happened to that. This second draft likely will be better,
              anyhow, so if the other one eventually shows up, this will be the
              version to read.)

              I have no experience with tapping Black Birch, in particular, but can
              offer a few related thoughts and observations.

              I have read that in Scandinavia birches are tapped and "birch beer" is
              made from the sap. I suppose that would be Betula pendula, known in
              North America as the European Birch, among other names.

              With that in mind, some years ago I tried tapping a Paper Birch
              (Betula papyrifera) in southwestern British Columbia, during
              February/March. The tree yielded only lightly, but I gathered enough
              sap to boil down in a small saucepan, and so produce just enough syrup
              to find how it tasted: It was unpalatably bitter. I have not been
              tempted to experiment further.

              The Paper Birch (aka White or Canoe Birch)is the only native one in
              southwestern BC, and it also occurs across Canada and a little way
              into the northern U.S.A. You might know that "Black Birch" is a
              common name for two different species of eastern North America: Betula
              nigra, and Betula lenta. The former is most commonly called the River
              Birch, but also the Red, Black, or Water Birch. The latter is known
              as the Sweet, Cherry, Black or (more rarely, it seems) Spice Birch.
              "Sweet" and "Spice" refer to its strong wintergreen scent. (A third
              eastern species, the Yellow Birch, B. allegheniensis, also smells of
              wintergreen, but less strongly.)

              I suppose that B. lenta is the "Black Birch" of your interest, because
              of the wintergreen scent. If you have some available, why not try
              tapping them this coming spring? Do it the same way as for tapping
              maples. Likely the best time would be during the traditional
              maple-tapping season of eastern North America, too. You might try
              drilling some test-holes a few weeks early, though, and then some more
              a couple of weeks later, if the first lot stay dry, and so on till you
              discover when the black-birch-sap starts running in your area --
              assuming it ever does run in gatherable amounts, which it might not.
              (Provided you have good-size trees, they wouldn't be harmed by a
              couple of extra test-holes, as might result from the season-finding
              method I am suggesting. The extra holes would heal up in a year, just
              as producing tap-holes do.)

              [|:-{>
            • aksharma@cazri.raj.nic.in
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                HAPPY new year/ERA of
                Organic Mentality

                Organized cycle
                Occupied with diversity
                Omit competition with
                Nature

                It was primarily the mentality which caused ill effects of chemical
                (conventional) farming and not the chemical itself. It is the mentality
                and not the technology which decides the direction of development (Atomic
                energy-both use destructive or constructive).
                Mentality is the prime infrastructure for success of any plan.
                Thus for success of organic farming following concepts in the mentality
                are need to be imbibed.

                1.Always seek cooperation of Nature, Native(human, animal, plants) and
                Neighbor.

                2.Use Natural things/products as far as possible naturally ( Neem extract
                is better than isolated azadirectin).

                3. Maintained food chain as far as possible and not to make new food
                .Human being by nature is not a carnivorous.

                4.Organic farming is a Benefit making( by harnessing from nature) and not
                a Profit making(exploiting nature) venture.

                5.Local and Seasonal food may be better for body in a given Social and
                Climatic conditions.

                6.Principals/practices/approaches of physical science may not be every
                time applicable in biological science because of numerous complicated
                interactions.

                Think organically
                Arun K.Sharma
                Central Arid Zone Research Institute
                Jodhpur-342003,INDIA
                +91 291 2703547 / 2740789
                a.k_sharma@...

                A handbook of organic farming ( 626page)-Arun K.Sharma
              • les landeck
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                  i being a hard firm believer in passive growing
                  systems (selective organic choices)that cause me much
                  stress when i look at what has been done to our
                  overwhelming abundance of resources here. Your point
                  of the mentality and understanding is well taken. Need
                  to provide in some manor is also understood. Knowledge
                  and improving choices over time is what brings change.

                  Do Well in the New Year Arun, Les

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                • Andres Rattur
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                    Hello, everybody!

                    I live near Scandinavia, to the south from Finland, in Estonia!

                    Here grows naturally four species of birch: Betula pendula, Betula pubescens, Betula fruticosa (Betula humilis), Betula nana and of course many introduced species.

                    Mainly here in Estonia people take sap from Betula pendula and Acer platanoides (maple). Sap of maple is much sweeter than birch sap. When I have taken sap from birch, I have noticed that, the taste of it depends where current tree grows.

                    I have usually collected birch sap by breaking v-shaped branch and putt this branch inside bottle so bottle is hanging on tree.
                    Mostly I just drink this sap without making no preparation, but as it was mentioned earlier it is possible to make beer and other drinks. Unfortunately there isn't no such tree with a sap containing enough sugar to produce syrup, like there is in Canada.

                    With best whishes,
                    Andres Rattur!

                    ITV - Sinu lemmiksaated internetis!
                    http://www.itv.ee
                  • pollywog
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                      ---Not absolute toxicity, but, as Steve Brill says; "This
                      concentrated, highly processed sugar is just as unhealthful as white
                      sugar."

                      Which, to me, means use in moderation only, just as with any sugar. deb

                      In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry"
                      <instinct@s...> wrote:

                      > do you know about any possible toxicity for humans in walnut sap?
                      > jean-claude

                    • Karri Varpio
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                        In Finland both B. pendula and B. pubescens are used for taking sap. Usually
                        it is drunk as such, but one book said that it could also be boiled to
                        syrup. It can be frozen or pasteurized to store it longer, but heating of
                        course destroys some elements.
                        http://www.aurinkolehto.fi/eng/index.htm has developed a method to store it
                        without heating, but they keep their method as a secret. (Pages look
                        business-orientated, but contain also information about birch sap.)

                        Karri

                        > Hello, everybody!
                        >
                        > I live near Scandinavia, to the south from Finland, in Estonia!
                        >
                        > Here grows naturally four species of birch: Betula pendula,
                        > Betula pubescens, Betula fruticosa (Betula humilis), Betula nana
                        > and of course many introduced species.
                        >
                        > Mainly here in Estonia people take sap from Betula pendula and
                        > Acer platanoides (maple). Sap of maple is much sweeter than birch
                        > sap. When I have taken sap from birch, I have noticed that, the
                        > taste of it depends where current tree grows.
                        >
                        > I have usually collected birch sap by breaking v-shaped branch
                        > and putt this branch inside bottle so bottle is hanging on tree.
                        > Mostly I just drink this sap without making no preparation, but
                        > as it was mentioned earlier it is possible to make beer and other
                        > drinks. Unfortunately there isn't no such tree with a sap
                        > containing enough sugar to produce syrup, like there is in Canada.
                        >
                        > With best whishes,
                        > Andres Rattur!

                      • EinuIf
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Andres Rattur" <Andre66@h...>
                          wrote:

                          > Mainly here in Estonia people take sap from Betula pendula and Acer
                          platanoides (maple). Sap of maple is much sweeter than birch sap.
                          Unfortunately there isn't no such tree with a sap containing enough
                          sugar to produce syrup, like there is in Canada.

                          ----------
                          Hello Andres, and everyone.

                          Thanks for that Estonian sap-tapping lore.

                          About the possibility of your making maple syrup, there, check out
                          these links:
                          http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Acer+platanoides&CAN=COMIND
                          http://www.the-tree.org.uk/BritishTrees/MrsGrieve/mgmaples.htm

                          It seems that syrup CAN BE made, and HAS BEEN made from A. platanoides
                          ("Norway Maple", to English-speakers). "The concentration of sugar
                          [in the sap] is considerably lower than in the sugar maples (A.
                          saccharum)", but if you can taste the sweetness of your maple sap then
                          making syrup from it might be more practical than you think. (Myself,
                          I can scarcely taste any flavour in the raw Bigleaf Maple sap I gather
                          -- but my sense of taste might not be the sharpest, as my young nephew
                          seems well able to taste the the sweetness of the sap, judging by his
                          keeness for it.)

                          At any rate, "The sap [of A. platanoides] ... can be concentrated into
                          a syrup by boiling off the water", and, "Sugar has been made from the
                          sap in Norway and Sweden."

                          The second link also lists some other maple species that yield sap for
                          "sugar" or other products, including a Scottish maple-wine. The lore,
                          therein, is from a 1930's British perspective, with according kinds of
                          maple covered.

                          (By the way, just to clear away any possible confusion, the second
                          link also gives the wrong scientific name, A. saccharinum, for the
                          Sugar Maple. The Sugar Maple is really A. saccharum, while A.
                          saccharinum is really the Silver Maple, both of them native to eastern
                          North America.)

                          [|:-{>
                        • lucia@lrw.net
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                            Dear EinuIf, Andres, and Karri - thank you for all the birch tapping
                            info, links, and personal experience stories.

                            On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Andres Rattur wrote:

                            > I have usually collected birch sap by breaking v-shaped branch and
                            > putt this branch inside bottle so bottle is hanging on tree.

                            I'm not clear about this. you use the branch for a support for the bottle,
                            but you still have to tap the tree somehow, right?

                            > Mostly I just drink this sap without making no preparation

                            I wonder if there are any health benefits to drinking this sap, or is it
                            just a sugar high?

                            lucia
                          • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                              <i being a hard firm believer in passive growing
                              systems (selective organic choices)that cause me much
                              stress when i look at what has been done to our
                              overwhelming abundance of resources here. Your point
                              of the mentality and understanding is well taken. Need
                              to provide in some manor is also understood. Knowledge
                              and improving choices over time is what brings change.>

                              could you explain what you mean by passive growing system and selective organic choices ?

                              jean-claude

                            • Andres Rattur
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                Lucia wrote:
                                I'm not clear about this. you use the branch for a support for the bottle, but you still have to tap the tree somehow, right?

                                No I don't tap the tree. I just hang bottles up on the trees branches. It is hard to explain, I tried to draw some picture of it in Paint: http://www.hot.ee/andre66/sap.jpg

                                Explanation:
                                1. I cut or brake two branches, which form V (or Y).
                                2. I press these two branches together, so they can go through bottle's throttle.
                                3. I push branch into bottle and before pressed branches go wider, so bottle won't fall of branch.
                                4. Finally the bottle hangs on trees branch and every morning I collect sap into bigger container.

                                I wonder if there are any health benefits to drinking this sap, or is it just a sugar high?
                                The sap has health benefits, but I don't know excactly what are these benefits. I have heard that it is good for immunity. In Karri Varpio's mail is link about birch sap produce, on that page there are writen some ingredients of this sap.

                                Thanks to Karri Varpio and EinuIf about interesting information.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                  Good Morning,

                                  i'll start at the end and go back to the beginning.
                                  selective organic to me is to only use items from the
                                  list of whats allowed under the organic standards that
                                  do not compromise the beliefs of those who i provide
                                  for. so no blood meal, bone meal, feather meal,fish
                                  emulsion,,killing sprays of any form including soap
                                  sprays. in the past i used two or three hundred pounds
                                  of rock power but found my heart was not in it, as for
                                  the destruction caused in mining. over the past twenty
                                  years this has been a slow learning.

                                  i do use chicken and horse manure mixed with rice
                                  hauls or fur shavings. but i have been concern the
                                  past six or eight years as to the things that may have
                                  been done to these resources like with mushroom
                                  compost,from 1986 into the early 90's i worked with
                                  this layering it on top the soil blocking the grasses
                                  and this stopped the need to turn the soil (tilling)
                                  it was a great help and a waste produce that i didn't
                                  want to see go to the dump. many times i questioned
                                  the people at the source as to how they handled and
                                  prepared this material, feeling that part of their
                                  story was missing i want down to their operation. they
                                  explained the steam process that seemed fine but when
                                  i questioned any other sprays that they might have
                                  been used their body language revealed something was
                                  not being told, i asked the same question three times
                                  each time the same reaction. i find it the same with
                                  many sources of composting supplies. before cars a
                                  market grower could take a load of produce to town and
                                  return with a load of horse manure. not sure how they
                                  cleaned the wagon? when we are concerned with the
                                  quality of the produce we provide to the children, the
                                  choices become very hard to sort out.

                                  as Fukuoka's system of returning the rice and barley
                                  straw to the field that is a form of layer composting.
                                  using small amounts over a number of years plus the
                                  clover in combination with the passive system of
                                  flooding the field thus causing the clover and other
                                  wild plants to giveway, he had a control system that
                                  modeled nature,no soil disruption (passive).

                                  i grow very few 120 day crops and no three acre fields
                                  of rice, nor do i have the water to flood the fields,
                                  they are sloped and full of golfer runs. just won't
                                  work.

                                  so the question was how can i extract Fukuoka's main
                                  points no till, passive and apply it in another form
                                  that would meet the needs of a market garden that
                                  required three to four rotations per bed per year. if
                                  the land did not cost so much we could make it on one
                                  or two rotations that would allow crop rotations of
                                  green manure plantings. But without the use of flood
                                  irrigation how could i cause the green manure crop to
                                  giveway into a clean seed bed as a tilled bed would
                                  look? so along comes the straw, it takes a lot of
                                  light straw to get old growth to giveway. mushroom and
                                  later horse manure with fur and pine shavings came
                                  later. this was put down on the first application in a
                                  six inch layer, that on the next rotation a wheel
                                  barrow of chicken manure per 400 square foot bed
                                  (4X100) and maybe two inches of mushroom compost over
                                  and ready to reseed. we need to note seed if we worked
                                  with large transplanting machines all of this might be
                                  different.

                                  with this we had a system that worked, the cost of
                                  importing was off set due to the lack of maintenance
                                  no hand weeding or hoeing. good trade. the problem
                                  came in finding stable, quality sources of compost
                                  supplies in the volume necessary to sustain our needs.

                                  i think this covers your two questions Jean-Claude.
                                  it's just how can we grow food for the children
                                  without offending the requirements of a vegan life
                                  style. i do this in respect for others i'm a bit more
                                  open in my eating habits but very narrow to many, are
                                  not we all?

                                  That last lap was quite a trip 589,000,000 miles, can
                                  you believe 18.51 miles per second. in only one year
                                  to get around the Sun. All of us riding together on
                                  this little ball of water, rock, soil, and Life.
                                  buckle up and enjoy the view. as we become aware of
                                  our traveling companions it's good to note our Solar
                                  systems speed of some 155 miles per second in our
                                  travels around the Milky Way. seems to be helping me
                                  bring things into perspective.

                                  Happy New Year All Les

                                  http://my.yahoo.com
                                • lucia@lrw.net
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                    > No I don't tap the tree. I just hang bottles up on the trees branches.
                                    > It is hard to explain, I tried to draw some picture of it in Paint:
                                    > http://www.hot.ee/andre66/sap.jpg

                                    ahhh. I understand now. great picture!

                                    > The sap has health benefits, but I don't know excactly what are these
                                    > benefits. I have heard that it is good for immunity. In Karri Varpio's
                                    > mail is link about birch sap produce, on that page there are writen
                                    > some ingredients of this sap.

                                    looks like an interesting enterprise, but I couldn't find anything
                                    concrete on the website about the health benefits. they've written a book
                                    but it looks like it's only in Finnish. I'll search for something in
                                    English.

                                    thanks again!

                                    Lucia
                                  • EinuIf
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Karri Varpio"
                                      <karri.varpio@r...> wrote:

                                      > http://www.aurinkolehto.fi/eng/index.htm has developed a method to
                                      store [birch sap]
                                      > without heating, but they keep their method as a secret.

                                      I suspect that they sterilize the sap using ultraviolet light, ozone,
                                      or both -- the same way that chlorine-free tap-water treatment is done.
                                    • lucia@lrw.net
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                        ok. I've done some research on the net and some books such as Steve
                                        Brill's "Edible and Medicinal Plants" and found out that Black Birch/Sweet
                                        Birch/Betula Lenta has alot of nutrients. the barch provides beta
                                        carotene, calcium, vitamins B1 and B2, calcium, copper, iron, manganese,
                                        phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and silicon, xylithol, betulinal and
                                        glucoside. the inner bark can be eaten raw, ground into flour, or added to
                                        soups. I haven't found out what nutrients the sap contains, but drinking
                                        it raw is better than boiling it down into a highly concentrated sugar.

                                        several people mention making a tea by infusing the twigs but warn against
                                        boiling which would drive off the volatile wintergreen oils.

                                        has anyone done this? do you just let it sit in cold water? or pour warm
                                        water over it and let it sit? or gently heat to warm?

                                        Lucia