Maple-tapping, revisited

  • Michael Inniss
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 27, 2004
      Further to post #3937 by matterplay1 (12/23/2003), about tapping maples
      outside of the well-established area for it in eastern North America, this
      here is said maple-tapping brother of his, just in case anyone wants to
      know more about tapping the Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) on the other
      side of that same continent.

    • pollywog
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 29, 2004
        ---About any maple can be tapped with some level of success: as can
        the juglans (notably, black walnut). The principles are the same for
        each tapping, and of course one needs to pay attention to the final
        use of the gatherings.

        I enjoy the inclusion of tapping information other than the standard,
        since there is so much wonderful material available for use, and
        without having to destroy the source!

        Thanks, Michael! deb

        In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Inniss <mdinniss@y...> wrote:

        > Further to post #3937 by matterplay1 (12/23/2003), about tapping maples
        > outside of the well-established area for it in eastern North
        America, this
        > here is said maple-tapping brother of his, just in case anyone wants to
        > know more about tapping the Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) on the
        other
        > side of that same continent.

      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 29, 2004
          do you know about any possible toxicity for humans in walnut sap?
          jean-claude

          ---About any maple can be tapped with some level of success: as can
          the juglans (notably, black walnut). The principles are the same for
          each tapping, and of course one needs to pay attention to the final
          use of the gatherings.

          I enjoy the inclusion of tapping information other than the standard,
          since there is so much wonderful material available for use, and
          without having to destroy the source!

          Thanks, Michael! deb

          In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Inniss <mdinniss@y...> wrote:

          > Further to post #3937 by matterplay1 (12/23/2003), about tapping maples
          > outside of the well-established area for it in eastern North
          America, this
          > here is said maple-tapping brother of his, just in case anyone wants to
          > know more about tapping the Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) on the
          other
          > side of that same continent.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • lucia@lrw.net
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 29, 2004
            re: tapping. we have alot of black birch. does anyone have experience in
            tapping them?

            Lucia
          • EinuIf
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 30, 2004
              I have read that birches are tapped in Scandinavia, and "birch beer"
              is made from the sap.

              Many years ago, I tried tapping a Paper Birch (Betula papyrifera), in
              late winter here in southwestern British Columbia. It produced sap
              only lightly, but I gathered enough to boil down in a small pan, to
              yield just enough syrup to find out how it tasted. It was unpalatably
              bitter. I have not been tempted to experiment any further.

              The Paper Birch (aka White, or Canoe Birch) is the only one hereabout.
              It is found across Canada and a little way into the northern U.S.A.
              Other birch species might yield better results. (For that matter,
              other specimens of B. papyrifera might yield better results.)

              Likely you know this already, but "Black Birch" is one of the common
              names of two different species of eastern North America: Betula nigra,
              and B. lenta. The former is most commonly known as the River Birch,
              but also as the Red, Black, or Water Birch. The latter is commonly
              called the Sweet, Black, Cherry, or (more rarely, it seems) Spice
              Birch. "Sweet" and "Spice" come from its wintergreen scent. (A third
              eastern species, the Yellow Birch, B. alleghaniensis, also smells of
              wintergreen, but less strongly.)

              I suppose that you mean B. lenta, and that its wintergreen scent is
              what makes you interested in that birch species in particular.
              If you have Sweet Birches available to you, why not try tapping them
              this spring? My guess is that the best time would be during the
              traditional maple-tapping season of eastern North America. You might
              try drilling a test-hole a few weeks early, though -- or more than one
              test-hole if you have more than one tree. If the holes remain dry
              after a couple of weeks, try drilling some fresh ones at different
              spots. And so on, till you discover when the Sweet-Birch sap starts
              to run in your area -- assuming that it does run in gatherable
              amounts, which it might not. (Provided you have a good-size tree, it
              will not be harmed by the drilling of a few extra holes, as might
              result from the above method for finding the start of your
              birch-tapping season. The test-holes should heal up in a year, just
              as successful tap-holes do.)

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, lucia@l... wrote:
              > re: tapping. we have alot of black birch. does anyone have experience in
              > tapping them?
              >
              > Lucia
            • EinuIf
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, lucia@l... wrote:
                > re: tapping. we have alot of black birch. does anyone have experience in
                > tapping them?
                >
                > Lucia

                (#@*%#&!! I thought I posted a reply to this yesterday. I don't know
                what happened to that. This second draft likely will be better,
                anyhow, so if the other one eventually shows up, this will be the
                version to read.)

                I have no experience with tapping Black Birch, in particular, but can
                offer a few related thoughts and observations.

                I have read that in Scandinavia birches are tapped and "birch beer" is
                made from the sap. I suppose that would be Betula pendula, known in
                North America as the European Birch, among other names.

                With that in mind, some years ago I tried tapping a Paper Birch
                (Betula papyrifera) in southwestern British Columbia, during
                February/March. The tree yielded only lightly, but I gathered enough
                sap to boil down in a small saucepan, and so produce just enough syrup
                to find how it tasted: It was unpalatably bitter. I have not been
                tempted to experiment further.

                The Paper Birch (aka White or Canoe Birch)is the only native one in
                southwestern BC, and it also occurs across Canada and a little way
                into the northern U.S.A. You might know that "Black Birch" is a
                common name for two different species of eastern North America: Betula
                nigra, and Betula lenta. The former is most commonly called the River
                Birch, but also the Red, Black, or Water Birch. The latter is known
                as the Sweet, Cherry, Black or (more rarely, it seems) Spice Birch.
                "Sweet" and "Spice" refer to its strong wintergreen scent. (A third
                eastern species, the Yellow Birch, B. allegheniensis, also smells of
                wintergreen, but less strongly.)

                I suppose that B. lenta is the "Black Birch" of your interest, because
                of the wintergreen scent. If you have some available, why not try
                tapping them this coming spring? Do it the same way as for tapping
                maples. Likely the best time would be during the traditional
                maple-tapping season of eastern North America, too. You might try
                drilling some test-holes a few weeks early, though, and then some more
                a couple of weeks later, if the first lot stay dry, and so on till you
                discover when the black-birch-sap starts running in your area --
                assuming it ever does run in gatherable amounts, which it might not.
                (Provided you have good-size trees, they wouldn't be harmed by a
                couple of extra test-holes, as might result from the season-finding
                method I am suggesting. The extra holes would heal up in a year, just
                as producing tap-holes do.)

                [|:-{>
              • aksharma@cazri.raj.nic.in
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                  HAPPY new year/ERA of
                  Organic Mentality

                  Organized cycle
                  Occupied with diversity
                  Omit competition with
                  Nature

                  It was primarily the mentality which caused ill effects of chemical
                  (conventional) farming and not the chemical itself. It is the mentality
                  and not the technology which decides the direction of development (Atomic
                  energy-both use destructive or constructive).
                  Mentality is the prime infrastructure for success of any plan.
                  Thus for success of organic farming following concepts in the mentality
                  are need to be imbibed.

                  1.Always seek cooperation of Nature, Native(human, animal, plants) and
                  Neighbor.

                  2.Use Natural things/products as far as possible naturally ( Neem extract
                  is better than isolated azadirectin).

                  3. Maintained food chain as far as possible and not to make new food
                  .Human being by nature is not a carnivorous.

                  4.Organic farming is a Benefit making( by harnessing from nature) and not
                  a Profit making(exploiting nature) venture.

                  5.Local and Seasonal food may be better for body in a given Social and
                  Climatic conditions.

                  6.Principals/practices/approaches of physical science may not be every
                  time applicable in biological science because of numerous complicated
                  interactions.

                  Think organically
                  Arun K.Sharma
                  Central Arid Zone Research Institute
                  Jodhpur-342003,INDIA
                  +91 291 2703547 / 2740789
                  a.k_sharma@...

                  A handbook of organic farming ( 626page)-Arun K.Sharma
                • les landeck
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                    i being a hard firm believer in passive growing
                    systems (selective organic choices)that cause me much
                    stress when i look at what has been done to our
                    overwhelming abundance of resources here. Your point
                    of the mentality and understanding is well taken. Need
                    to provide in some manor is also understood. Knowledge
                    and improving choices over time is what brings change.

                    Do Well in the New Year Arun, Les

                    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                  • Andres Rattur
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                      Hello, everybody!

                      I live near Scandinavia, to the south from Finland, in Estonia!

                      Here grows naturally four species of birch: Betula pendula, Betula pubescens, Betula fruticosa (Betula humilis), Betula nana and of course many introduced species.

                      Mainly here in Estonia people take sap from Betula pendula and Acer platanoides (maple). Sap of maple is much sweeter than birch sap. When I have taken sap from birch, I have noticed that, the taste of it depends where current tree grows.

                      I have usually collected birch sap by breaking v-shaped branch and putt this branch inside bottle so bottle is hanging on tree.
                      Mostly I just drink this sap without making no preparation, but as it was mentioned earlier it is possible to make beer and other drinks. Unfortunately there isn't no such tree with a sap containing enough sugar to produce syrup, like there is in Canada.

                      With best whishes,
                      Andres Rattur!

                      ITV - Sinu lemmiksaated internetis!
                      http://www.itv.ee
                    • pollywog
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                        ---Not absolute toxicity, but, as Steve Brill says; "This
                        concentrated, highly processed sugar is just as unhealthful as white
                        sugar."

                        Which, to me, means use in moderation only, just as with any sugar. deb

                        In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry"
                        <instinct@s...> wrote:

                        > do you know about any possible toxicity for humans in walnut sap?
                        > jean-claude

                      • Karri Varpio
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                          In Finland both B. pendula and B. pubescens are used for taking sap. Usually
                          it is drunk as such, but one book said that it could also be boiled to
                          syrup. It can be frozen or pasteurized to store it longer, but heating of
                          course destroys some elements.
                          http://www.aurinkolehto.fi/eng/index.htm has developed a method to store it
                          without heating, but they keep their method as a secret. (Pages look
                          business-orientated, but contain also information about birch sap.)

                          Karri

                          > Hello, everybody!
                          >
                          > I live near Scandinavia, to the south from Finland, in Estonia!
                          >
                          > Here grows naturally four species of birch: Betula pendula,
                          > Betula pubescens, Betula fruticosa (Betula humilis), Betula nana
                          > and of course many introduced species.
                          >
                          > Mainly here in Estonia people take sap from Betula pendula and
                          > Acer platanoides (maple). Sap of maple is much sweeter than birch
                          > sap. When I have taken sap from birch, I have noticed that, the
                          > taste of it depends where current tree grows.
                          >
                          > I have usually collected birch sap by breaking v-shaped branch
                          > and putt this branch inside bottle so bottle is hanging on tree.
                          > Mostly I just drink this sap without making no preparation, but
                          > as it was mentioned earlier it is possible to make beer and other
                          > drinks. Unfortunately there isn't no such tree with a sap
                          > containing enough sugar to produce syrup, like there is in Canada.
                          >
                          > With best whishes,
                          > Andres Rattur!

                        • EinuIf
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Andres Rattur" <Andre66@h...>
                            wrote:

                            > Mainly here in Estonia people take sap from Betula pendula and Acer
                            platanoides (maple). Sap of maple is much sweeter than birch sap.
                            Unfortunately there isn't no such tree with a sap containing enough
                            sugar to produce syrup, like there is in Canada.

                            ----------
                            Hello Andres, and everyone.

                            Thanks for that Estonian sap-tapping lore.

                            About the possibility of your making maple syrup, there, check out
                            these links:
                            http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Acer+platanoides&CAN=COMIND
                            http://www.the-tree.org.uk/BritishTrees/MrsGrieve/mgmaples.htm

                            It seems that syrup CAN BE made, and HAS BEEN made from A. platanoides
                            ("Norway Maple", to English-speakers). "The concentration of sugar
                            [in the sap] is considerably lower than in the sugar maples (A.
                            saccharum)", but if you can taste the sweetness of your maple sap then
                            making syrup from it might be more practical than you think. (Myself,
                            I can scarcely taste any flavour in the raw Bigleaf Maple sap I gather
                            -- but my sense of taste might not be the sharpest, as my young nephew
                            seems well able to taste the the sweetness of the sap, judging by his
                            keeness for it.)

                            At any rate, "The sap [of A. platanoides] ... can be concentrated into
                            a syrup by boiling off the water", and, "Sugar has been made from the
                            sap in Norway and Sweden."

                            The second link also lists some other maple species that yield sap for
                            "sugar" or other products, including a Scottish maple-wine. The lore,
                            therein, is from a 1930's British perspective, with according kinds of
                            maple covered.

                            (By the way, just to clear away any possible confusion, the second
                            link also gives the wrong scientific name, A. saccharinum, for the
                            Sugar Maple. The Sugar Maple is really A. saccharum, while A.
                            saccharinum is really the Silver Maple, both of them native to eastern
                            North America.)

                            [|:-{>
                          • lucia@lrw.net
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                              Dear EinuIf, Andres, and Karri - thank you for all the birch tapping
                              info, links, and personal experience stories.

                              On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Andres Rattur wrote:

                              > I have usually collected birch sap by breaking v-shaped branch and
                              > putt this branch inside bottle so bottle is hanging on tree.

                              I'm not clear about this. you use the branch for a support for the bottle,
                              but you still have to tap the tree somehow, right?

                              > Mostly I just drink this sap without making no preparation

                              I wonder if there are any health benefits to drinking this sap, or is it
                              just a sugar high?

                              lucia
                            • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                                <i being a hard firm believer in passive growing
                                systems (selective organic choices)that cause me much
                                stress when i look at what has been done to our
                                overwhelming abundance of resources here. Your point
                                of the mentality and understanding is well taken. Need
                                to provide in some manor is also understood. Knowledge
                                and improving choices over time is what brings change.>

                                could you explain what you mean by passive growing system and selective organic choices ?

                                jean-claude

                              • Andres Rattur
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                  Lucia wrote:
                                  I'm not clear about this. you use the branch for a support for the bottle, but you still have to tap the tree somehow, right?

                                  No I don't tap the tree. I just hang bottles up on the trees branches. It is hard to explain, I tried to draw some picture of it in Paint: http://www.hot.ee/andre66/sap.jpg

                                  Explanation:
                                  1. I cut or brake two branches, which form V (or Y).
                                  2. I press these two branches together, so they can go through bottle's throttle.
                                  3. I push branch into bottle and before pressed branches go wider, so bottle won't fall of branch.
                                  4. Finally the bottle hangs on trees branch and every morning I collect sap into bigger container.

                                  I wonder if there are any health benefits to drinking this sap, or is it just a sugar high?
                                  The sap has health benefits, but I don't know excactly what are these benefits. I have heard that it is good for immunity. In Karri Varpio's mail is link about birch sap produce, on that page there are writen some ingredients of this sap.

                                  Thanks to Karri Varpio and EinuIf about interesting information.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                    Good Morning,

                                    i'll start at the end and go back to the beginning.
                                    selective organic to me is to only use items from the
                                    list of whats allowed under the organic standards that
                                    do not compromise the beliefs of those who i provide
                                    for. so no blood meal, bone meal, feather meal,fish
                                    emulsion,,killing sprays of any form including soap
                                    sprays. in the past i used two or three hundred pounds
                                    of rock power but found my heart was not in it, as for
                                    the destruction caused in mining. over the past twenty
                                    years this has been a slow learning.

                                    i do use chicken and horse manure mixed with rice
                                    hauls or fur shavings. but i have been concern the
                                    past six or eight years as to the things that may have
                                    been done to these resources like with mushroom
                                    compost,from 1986 into the early 90's i worked with
                                    this layering it on top the soil blocking the grasses
                                    and this stopped the need to turn the soil (tilling)
                                    it was a great help and a waste produce that i didn't
                                    want to see go to the dump. many times i questioned
                                    the people at the source as to how they handled and
                                    prepared this material, feeling that part of their
                                    story was missing i want down to their operation. they
                                    explained the steam process that seemed fine but when
                                    i questioned any other sprays that they might have
                                    been used their body language revealed something was
                                    not being told, i asked the same question three times
                                    each time the same reaction. i find it the same with
                                    many sources of composting supplies. before cars a
                                    market grower could take a load of produce to town and
                                    return with a load of horse manure. not sure how they
                                    cleaned the wagon? when we are concerned with the
                                    quality of the produce we provide to the children, the
                                    choices become very hard to sort out.

                                    as Fukuoka's system of returning the rice and barley
                                    straw to the field that is a form of layer composting.
                                    using small amounts over a number of years plus the
                                    clover in combination with the passive system of
                                    flooding the field thus causing the clover and other
                                    wild plants to giveway, he had a control system that
                                    modeled nature,no soil disruption (passive).

                                    i grow very few 120 day crops and no three acre fields
                                    of rice, nor do i have the water to flood the fields,
                                    they are sloped and full of golfer runs. just won't
                                    work.

                                    so the question was how can i extract Fukuoka's main
                                    points no till, passive and apply it in another form
                                    that would meet the needs of a market garden that
                                    required three to four rotations per bed per year. if
                                    the land did not cost so much we could make it on one
                                    or two rotations that would allow crop rotations of
                                    green manure plantings. But without the use of flood
                                    irrigation how could i cause the green manure crop to
                                    giveway into a clean seed bed as a tilled bed would
                                    look? so along comes the straw, it takes a lot of
                                    light straw to get old growth to giveway. mushroom and
                                    later horse manure with fur and pine shavings came
                                    later. this was put down on the first application in a
                                    six inch layer, that on the next rotation a wheel
                                    barrow of chicken manure per 400 square foot bed
                                    (4X100) and maybe two inches of mushroom compost over
                                    and ready to reseed. we need to note seed if we worked
                                    with large transplanting machines all of this might be
                                    different.

                                    with this we had a system that worked, the cost of
                                    importing was off set due to the lack of maintenance
                                    no hand weeding or hoeing. good trade. the problem
                                    came in finding stable, quality sources of compost
                                    supplies in the volume necessary to sustain our needs.

                                    i think this covers your two questions Jean-Claude.
                                    it's just how can we grow food for the children
                                    without offending the requirements of a vegan life
                                    style. i do this in respect for others i'm a bit more
                                    open in my eating habits but very narrow to many, are
                                    not we all?

                                    That last lap was quite a trip 589,000,000 miles, can
                                    you believe 18.51 miles per second. in only one year
                                    to get around the Sun. All of us riding together on
                                    this little ball of water, rock, soil, and Life.
                                    buckle up and enjoy the view. as we become aware of
                                    our traveling companions it's good to note our Solar
                                    systems speed of some 155 miles per second in our
                                    travels around the Milky Way. seems to be helping me
                                    bring things into perspective.

                                    Happy New Year All Les

                                    http://my.yahoo.com
                                  • lucia@lrw.net
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                      > No I don't tap the tree. I just hang bottles up on the trees branches.
                                      > It is hard to explain, I tried to draw some picture of it in Paint:
                                      > http://www.hot.ee/andre66/sap.jpg

                                      ahhh. I understand now. great picture!

                                      > The sap has health benefits, but I don't know excactly what are these
                                      > benefits. I have heard that it is good for immunity. In Karri Varpio's
                                      > mail is link about birch sap produce, on that page there are writen
                                      > some ingredients of this sap.

                                      looks like an interesting enterprise, but I couldn't find anything
                                      concrete on the website about the health benefits. they've written a book
                                      but it looks like it's only in Finnish. I'll search for something in
                                      English.

                                      thanks again!

                                      Lucia
                                    • EinuIf
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Karri Varpio"
                                        <karri.varpio@r...> wrote:

                                        > http://www.aurinkolehto.fi/eng/index.htm has developed a method to
                                        store [birch sap]
                                        > without heating, but they keep their method as a secret.

                                        I suspect that they sterilize the sap using ultraviolet light, ozone,
                                        or both -- the same way that chlorine-free tap-water treatment is done.
                                      • lucia@lrw.net
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
                                          ok. I've done some research on the net and some books such as Steve
                                          Brill's "Edible and Medicinal Plants" and found out that Black Birch/Sweet
                                          Birch/Betula Lenta has alot of nutrients. the barch provides beta
                                          carotene, calcium, vitamins B1 and B2, calcium, copper, iron, manganese,
                                          phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and silicon, xylithol, betulinal and
                                          glucoside. the inner bark can be eaten raw, ground into flour, or added to
                                          soups. I haven't found out what nutrients the sap contains, but drinking
                                          it raw is better than boiling it down into a highly concentrated sugar.

                                          several people mention making a tea by infusing the twigs but warn against
                                          boiling which would drive off the volatile wintergreen oils.

                                          has anyone done this? do you just let it sit in cold water? or pour warm
                                          water over it and let it sit? or gently heat to warm?

                                          Lucia