california farm project

  • thefreedomofcraft
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2004
      just north of the Napa Wine area I have the chance of trying to apply
      some Natural Farming ideas. I got some powdered red clay and clover
      seeds and plan to make seed balls and start tossing them out in hopes
      that, in three years, I may find out "what Nature is." I have three
      of Fukuoka's books. Since it is almost winter I was thinking of
      throwing out some rye and wheat now in seed balls. Last year I was
      excited to find a fully formed stalk of wheat among the weeds near my
      front porch, a volunteer. This shows me that perhaps I can put out
      seed and grow it along with the weeds, watered by our winter/spring
      rains. I am interested in growing some trees in natural form. So
      often I have seen elaborate root stock grafting/pruning etc. and
      heard that if you just plant a seed of a fruit tree it will not
      neccessarily give fruit that tastes the same as the parent tree--I
      wonder about how one overcomes this difficulty, of if it is really a
      difficulty at all? How should I start my trees? Should I just get
      seeds out of fruits I like and hope for the best? Or is there a good
      souce of seed for trees? Sorry, I am a raw beginner, very ignorant.
    • Sergio Montinola
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 18, 2004
        Try the seeds of your fruit you like. That will be
        more rewarding.

        Fukuoka's system is wonderful. Try it for yourself and
        join us in the group.

        We will keep in touch to help one another.

        Sergio J. Montinola
        Philippines

        --- thefreedomofcraft <brian@...>

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
      • buttahfly@xprs.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2004
          Thanks for the encouragement, Sergio. It will be a peasure to be in touch.