RE: [fukuoka_farming] Alice's small orchard

  • Corner Plot Vegetables
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2004
      How exciting.
      where are you exactly? I am in Leicester, working an acre certified organic
      smallholding permaculture/fukuoka style and would love to meet others trying
      these things.

      all the best
      Cesca
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2004
        Hi Cesca

        Quoting Corner Plot Vegetables
        <cesca@...>:

        > How exciting.
        > where are you exactly? I am in Leicester, working an acre
        > certified organic
        > smallholding permaculture/fukuoka style and would love to meet
        > others trying
        > these things.

        I'd be intersted to chat with you about organic certification.

        The plot is in Wolston, at the other end of the village from the
        HDRA, between Coventry and Rugby. It's a prt of a 5 acre small
        holding.

        Alice

      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2004
          hello alice

          it is exiting to start a fukuoka orchard in such ideal conditions .
          natural farming aim is not to grow crops but the perfection of human beings as masonobu wrote us so the first question to ask yourself is :what do i need , want and what do i see the land offering me ? from there the relationship between you and that piece of land can establish . you seem to have allready done the work of the second answer but my guess from what you wrote is that you are not clear of what are your needs , what you'd like this land to give to you , where do you fit in that ecosystem , what are your requests from it ( not demands as it is open door for failure in natural farming ).

          before you read farther , please let yourself and me know what are your feelings when you read that .

          from what i got from your request. to create an instantenous natural garden you will have to focus mostly on annuals and preparing permanent beds that you will mulch over the winter seems to be the appropriate way ,then you will sow and transplant a wide variety of vegetables in association with some berry producing bushes and even some small trees if not treed enough .
          the other option is to satrt from an established tree and associate with it bushes and plants in a tight association extending over the years the surface planted as the tree grow .
          on the grassy parts that you want clover to spread over sow big strong vegetables from the cabbage ( kale , daikon, mustards ) familly that can grow tall over the clover and shut down the grass with the help of the clover in july they will be making their seed and as the foliage wither it will give you light for plants to succed to it .
          once you will know better what you want and have more specific request i will be happy to explore farther the possibilities ( as there is millions )
          jean-claude

        • alice@am464.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 14, 2004
            Hi jean-claude :)

            (I first heard about Fukuoka from your family vision statement,
            linked to by the awesome Ingrid from the continuum concept
            support forum.)

            Such great questions! I love what you have written there. It
            really cheered me up this morning. Brought a smile to my face
            and a joyful feeling in my heart. You're pointing out exactly
            what I wasn't focusing on, and to think about that is really
            good, it shows me where my heart is.

            This is the next deeper level of my engagement with the land that
            I love. I am requesting that it teaches me about the natural way
            of farming in this bioregion. I am asking for food my family can
            eat, and for the opportunity to spread the idea to others of how
            the land wants to be engaged with, as I learn more about what
            that means practically. I want to learn with this small orchard
            so that in the future I might be able to live with a larger plot
            of land.

            Thanks for your practical suggestions as well. I will definitely
            be asking more questions on that side of things as I get
            started.

            :)

            Alice

            Quoting Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry