Question about yields

  • Leunam
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2004
      Hello, I'm not sure about how to make the question nor if this is the ideal
      distribution list, but I'm thinking about making a living selling the
      vegetables and fruits and nuts I will grow, so I'm trying to find out a
      minimun acreage.

      I've read varying amounts for example 90 to 180 Kg of vegetables in 9 m2
      from raised beds (John Seymour books) or from internet:

      http://www.permaculture.com/who/davidblume.htm
      " Our Farm fed approximately 450 people through 150 shares in its CSA at
      its peak. Annually, it grew as much as 100,000 pounds of food per acre,
      without a tractor, using only hand tools, on a terraced, 35 degree slope
      similar to farms in China or Guatemala. Dave used a combination of
      biointensive and permaculture techniques to produce these impressive
      yields."

      Could you tell me your actual yields in order to make me an idea? (the land
      is irrigated from a near river)

      Actually I'm working as a computer science and get out at 15h, so initially
      I can go on living from my salary so long as necesary.

      Thank you very much.

      Manuel

      PD: Forgive my terrible english