Re: [fukuoka_farming] Soil disturbance and potatoes

  • BT Benjaminson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
      As the plant grows you keep piling mulch around it and a lot of the potatoes
      will then grow inside the mulch.
      BT Benjaminson

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
        I've been working out a Fukuoka-like system for potatoes (Solanum
        tuberosum) over the past couple of years. There's just no way to get
        around the fact that you will have to dig for them, unless you want to
        bury them under mounds of mulch. Leaving aside the fact that this isn't
        very much like the way root crops grow in nature, it takes quite a bit
        of mulch, which you must get from somewhere else on your land.

        I grow potatoes right in the dirt, and I let white clover grow between
        the potato plants after I've put the potatoes in and after the potatoes
        have died down and been dug up. At first, this means scattering some
        white clover seed, or you will have a mess of buttercups and other weeds
        that inhibit the potatoes. The white clover does its usual bit of
        preventing erosion and preventing invasion by various weeds, and helps
        enrich the soil as well. The year after the potatoes, I sow vegetables
        in the patch of clover and harvest the vegetables and the inevitable
        volunteer potatoes. I'm still watching and trying out different things
        to see what is best for the third year, but of course in the end the
        plot will go back to potatoes. This isn't yet a full cycle like
        Fukuoka's grain fields; I'm still working out details and species
        combinations and timing, and looking for side effects. I'll be able to
        tell you more in a decade or two.

        I don't believe that digging for your food is such a bad thing. It
        happens all the time in nature. Just watch pigs foraging, for instance.
        It's just that turning over the soil every year on a whole plot of land
        just to get rid of a few weeds is a poor management technique.

        Stephen

        Mike Gibbons wrote:

        >Hi
        >I am growing my first crop of potatoes. I decided to harvest some
        >today and figured out that I disturbed the soil quite a lot looking
        >for the tubers.
        >Now, disturbing the soil to such a depth is a 'bad thing', right?
        >How would I grow potatoes and harvest them without digging so deeply?
        >Thanks.
        >Mike

      • Andres Rattur
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
          Hello, Lubo!

          I haven't jet had such possibility to grow potatoes under straw, but here in Estonia (small country in Europe) I know at least two persons who have tryied this and it came out very well. One other friend has grown potatoes near sea under seatang (seaweed, tang), because at her field there is only a small layer of humus (<10 cm). She is also pleased with this method and her potatoes grow nicely this way.

          I read about growing potatoes under straw from russian article, where it has been an old tradition.

          I haven't heard about any damage by rodents. I don't know in what climate do you live. If rodents damage your harvest maybe their amount is in your area to high and there is not enough natural enemies, who would keep their quantity at the right level. Maybe for you it would be possible to get yourself a cat. Or make living places for weasels.

          With best regards,
          Andres

          ITV - Sinu lemmiksaated internetis!
          http://www.itv.ee
        • pollywog
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
            ---I have visions of one of my favorite garden gurus, Ruth Stout.
            Although many folk use the mulch/aboveground type of tuber raising as
            she did, I will not enquire as to how many enjoy doing it in the nude,
            as she did. <G>

            I plant potatoes in the soil. I have used the Stout (mulch-only)
            method, and was not particularly pleased; although I certainly do use
            mulch for the taters that peek up through the soil. As Stephen (I
            think?) said, that is how root veggies grow naturally.

            I think it is the broad disturbance of the soil, rather than the
            specific dig areas, that proves to be the problem. That is one reason,
            I think, for the idea of rotation. Just as Mom Nature does it. She
            will grow good grasses and clovers and such right in with the tubers-
            arrowroot, groundnut, potatoes, etc., and those critters that
            naturally go for the tubers for food will indeed disturb the soil
            where they dig. I have seen stands of arrowroot, for example, slowly
            move a few feet at a time over the years, as some is dug up, and the
            outer tubers and parts, not harvested, create more plants. Natural
            rotation, if you please.

            In the case of pigs, I have mixed feelings. A (domestic) pig that
            "visited" here last year sure wasn't sniffing out potatoes, and it did
            plenty of plowing as a matter being a pig. He was not exactly a
            welcome visitor, after I tripped over one of his burrows early one
            morn and he damaged the siding of my already pathetic domicile. <G>
            But, the almost surgical precision of many other critters' root
            harvest, is amazing to come across.

            That is one reason we grow a good diversity of crops. It's not the
            digging itself, it is the large areas of uneeded disturbance, that
            creates a problem. At least, that is what I am thinking after paying
            closer attention.

            As far as rodents: we have fox, coyote, and other rodent-eating
            critters in abundance here; I catch glances of one of my favorite
            foxes often when working in the garden, looking at me through the
            perimeter plant growth. Those voles and mice still have themselves a
            great time in their mulch tunnels. In some ways, I think the
            mulch-only technique of growing root crops possibly creates an
            imbalance in itself.

            The idea is to observe, and adjust to how Mom Nature is telling you to
            get things done; according to Her dictates, and as as best as you can
            fulfill them. deb

            In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Andres Rattur <Andre66@h...> wrote:
            > Hello, Lubo!
            >
            > I haven't jet had such possibility to grow potatoes under straw, but
            here in Estonia (small country in Europe) I know at least two persons
            who have tryied this and it came out very well. One other friend has
            grown potatoes near sea under seatang (seaweed, tang), because at her
            field there is only a small layer of humus (<10 cm). She is also
            pleased with this method and her potatoes grow nicely this way.

          • jo li
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2004
              Hello all, Here in the midwest of the u.s. (missouri)
              my wife and I planted potatoes using the mulch method.
              We simply lay down a thick layer of wet newspaper to
              smother the grass and weed, lay the seed potatoes on
              top of the wet newspaper and covered with a 1 foot (30
              cm) layer of straw. they grew beautifully, maybe just
              a tiny bit smaller, but absolutely delicious. Only
              issue is to check straw periodically to make sure
              potatoes themselves are covered and not exposed to
              sunlight, only the foliage above. cheers, John

              http://mail.yahoo.com