Re: [fukuoka_farming] Off Topic: Iraqis Forbidden to Save Heritage Seeds

  • William Stocker
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2004
      From: "Robin, Maya, or Napi" <seafloorgarden@...>
      To: <fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 7:38 AM
      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Off Topic: Iraqis Forbidden to Save Heritage
      Seeds

      > Do not read this,
      > unless you want to know
      > how endangered natural farming is
      > from corporate takeover by patenting 'food'.
      >

      > > Scott wrote:
      > >
      > >> from urbansurvival.com :
      > >>
      > >> Report: Russian Troops to Iraq
      > >>
      > >> Ask yourself why would Russia send troops to Iraq - even a few - and
      only if
      > >> just to protect oil infrastructure?
      > >> http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/11/17/iraq.shtml We have a simple
      theory
      > >> that explains it. By having troops on the American side of the border,
      the
      > >> chance of US forces getting a nod to head into neighboring Iran without
      > >> prior notice drops. Strategically, we have to call the Russian move a
      > >> brilliant play on the world's corporatist structure - which is
      sweetening
      > >> the deal with talking of WTO membership for Russia in 2005:
      > >> http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/11/17/ruswtodeal1.shtml
      > >>

      > >> Corporate Takeover of Iraq Continuing
      > >>
      > >> Sure, you know that at least some portion of the Iraq war was about
      > >> gathering control of oil supplies in the region. And, yes, you know
      that
      > >> another portion of the war decision was based on Saddam Hussein's
      stated
      > >> intent to sell his oil for Euros. But now that we've pretty well
      leveled
      > >> Fallujah and are setting up to do the same in Mosul, ( story ) here is
      one
      > >> hell of a story about how the "government" of Iraq is now forcing
      farmer to
      > >> suck up to the corporatist ways.
      > >>

      > >> Specifically, the report says, farmers will have to get licenses in
      order to
      > >> save their own heritage seeds that they have harvested for generations.
      And
      > >> you know who sells seeds to those who can't afford the licenses, right?
      Big
      > >> corporations in the business of patenting the very food you eat:
      > >> http://www.rense.com/general59/newiraqlawoutlaws.htm What a fine scam
      it is
      > >> all around- and don't bother trying to find the tie-in between
      corporate
      > >> contributions to politicos from the purveyors of patented seeds -
      that's old
      > >> news.
      > >>
      > >> That Darn Iran Excuse
      > >>
      > >> The idea that the right-wing radio blathers and the neocon prompters
      have
      > >> been pushing - that Iran has a secret nuclear program that could
      threaten
      > >> Israel and other U.S. interests, is being slowly deflated by the
      > >> International Atomic Energy Agency. Of course this won't make headline
      in
      > >> the U.S. but it is making headlines in China:
      > >> http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-11/16/content_2223889.htm
      > >> which recently signed a $70-billion oil deal with Iran. Oh, no, we
      don't
      > >> expect the "all talk, no hat" crowd to change their rap - they have
      > >> demonstrated, as in the case of Iraq WMD's and the non-existent link
      between
      > >> Saddam and al Qaida that a lie repeated often enough becomes a fact. A
      > >> lesson from early Nazi Germany, I might add.
      > >>
      > >> Thanks,
      > >> Scott

    • William Stocker
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2004
        > > from corporate takeover by patenting 'food'.

        > and only if
        > simple theory
        > border, the
        > without
        > move a
        > sweetening

        > about
        > know that
        > Hussein's stated
        > well leveled
        > here is one
        > forcing farmer to

        > licenses in order to
        > generations. And
        > licenses, right? Big
        > fine scam it is
        > corporate
        > seeds - that's old

        > prompters have
        > could threaten
        > headline in
        > no, we don't
        > have
        > link between
        > fact. A

      • Tim Peters
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23, 2004
          I wonder just how easy it is for the Iraqis to stick to 'natural farming'...

          Fukuoka's way is both political and religious. Your way is both political
          and religious. The very life we live is political and religious.

          'Off-topic' is not infrequently indicative of the political and religious
          motivations of the judge that used the term. ...and the narrowness or
          comprehensiveness of ones thinking.