Re: [fukuoka_farming] Fukuoka's books

  • Sergio Montinola
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
      Dear Jonah,

      The book is published by Japan Publications Inc, Tokyo
      and New York. You may write to them.

      Sergio J. Montinola
      Philippines

      --- Jonah L Pachuau <jonahpach@...> wrote:

      > Dear everybody
      >
      > I am a small publisher based in a small state in the
      > north east of India. Our state government has
      > recently declared its commitment towards organic
      > farming and is amongst the first to do so in India.
      >
      > However, our knowledge, information and experience
      > regarding organic farming is relatively very
      > limited.
      >
      > Towards this end, I am very much interested in
      > translating Fukuoka's books on Organic farming into
      > our local language. I would be most obliged if
      > someone could give me details on how to contact
      > Fukuoka or his representatives on this matter.
      >

      > Jonah L Pachuau

      > removed]

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • David Johnston
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2005
        I got the idea for a petition from this website:
        http://www.ishmael.org/interaction/NewsAndInfo/detail.cfm?RECORD=153

        Anyways, It would be nice to see Fukuoka's books that are not translated into other languages. If you want to get permission, you could write to Fukuoka, and if you don't have success, then try to find a Japanese person who could translate your letter into Japanese. Maybe someone at a local zen temple or other Japanese buddhist temple.
        If we all wrote letters, if might get his attention. I've heard that he may have been wanting to support his methods to be adopted in Asia and other places, where they are easily understood. In America, it seems the culture doesn't take up his ideas as easily, and we have lost a lot of our rural family farms and agriculture community.

        So if people want to do this, we could try. I have to find his mail address, and when I do I'll post it.
        To Indrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry: Do you have a English copy of "The Gods of Farming"? I am interested in getting a copy.

      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2005
          > So if people want to do this, we could try. I have to find his mail
          > address, and when I do I'll post it.
          > To Indrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry: Do you have a English copy of "The
          > Gods of Farming"? I am interested in getting a copy.
          yes i have an old copy of the "gods of farming " i will be willing to
          photocopy it and send it > because i am poor in money i will need for you to
          cover the monetary cost of doing it and may be some time in case you want it
          cheaper .( i am living on an island and the cost of photocopies are quite
          expensive here in comparaison of the big city off island where i don't go
          very often .)
          jean-claude
        • BT Benjaminson
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 20, 2005
            Jean-Claude,
            Does this book discuss the gods of farming as if they are dieties or
            energies, or something else?
            If it views them as anything other than dieties I would also very appreciate
            having a copy of this book and would gladly pay you for the cost of copies
            and also your time if you wish. Can you accept cash in US dollars? If so
            please provide your address and the cost and I will provide mine.
            thank you very much
            Bat-Tzion Benjaminson
            Israel

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 21, 2005
              > Jean-Claude,
              > Does this book discuss the gods of farming as if they are dieties or
              > energies, or something else?

              there is 20 pages about how god can't be comprehended with human intellect.
              it is all resumed in that sentence .

              "well if it is talk of god you want to hear , i will talk, but you must
              realise that all i know of god is what cannot be spoken in words ."

              and farher

              "from the very beginning, the human being was never a "knowing" animal.
              their knowledge comes not from understanding but from distinctions and
              divisions ."

              like god -human distinction or god-nature etc...

              hopefully you din't get any answer to your question

              i will let know the list when i have scanned the book and will send it when
              i will figure it out how , either in the form of an attachement to an email
              or will makes photocopies on paper ( the least prefered)

              jean-claude
            • BT Benjaminson
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 21, 2005
                In other words, if he speaks of a single god, Fukuoka is a monotheist? from
                the title I thought he was a polytheist.
                Bat-Tzion

              • lh@larryhaftl.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 21, 2005
                  Chapter 1, Part 1 of "The Ultimatum of God Nature. The One-Straw Revolution.
                  A Recapitulation." begins,
                  "I would like to talk about God now. (Translator's note: For the sake of
                  convenience, the word "God" has been used throughout the text as a
                  translation of the Japanese word "kami". Kami generally refers to a divine
                  power that may be found in natural objects, plants, animals, and human
                  beings, and should not be confused with the God of Western monotheistic
                  religions.)"

                  Hope that helps to clarify the concept/term.

                  Larry Haftl

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 21, 2005
                    > In other words, if he speaks of a single god, Fukuoka is a monotheist?
                    > from
                    > the title I thought he was a polytheist.
                    > Bat-Tzion

                    he is neither one or the other . i have seen him explain his philosophy to
                    indians by using their own deities. i can see him using the christian or
                    whatever form peoples give to god (s) to explain things .he is also saying
                    in god's farming .< people fall back upon a hypothetical god to guarantee
                    their own existence and then use the belief in their own existance as proof
                    of the existence of god . ultimately it all comes down to a circular proof,
                    each existence merely lending creedence to the other .
                    if humanity dies god dies ,if humanity's existence is not certain then so
                    too is god's.>

                    basically he affirms that god or gods can't be aprehended by the intellect
                    ... the same way than a fish can't know the ocean , the fish just
                    experience it from his own position in the ocean
                    jean-claude