Worthy web sites on Fukuoka farming?

  • BT Benjaminson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
      Hi fellow farmers
      I'm new on the list. I am a permaculturist and organic market gardener. I
      live and farm in the mountains of Israel.
      Today my task is applying compost tea to the garden. Just taking a break
      now.
      Can anyone tell me a reliable web site from which I can learn the basics of
      Fukuoka style farming? I'd also like to know any Japanese-language sites
      because I can read Japanese fluently.
      One immediate practical question:
      Has anyone experienced a significant loosening and lightening of very heavy
      clay soils over time using no-till methods? I imagine the decomposing roots
      in the soil will eventually loosen it, (and sometimes I leave the roots of
      annual weeds and spent crops in the soil) but my soil here is so gooey and
      tight that I feel compelled to turn in some sand and peat on a pretty
      frequent basis. What am I missing?
      Thanks in advance for any insights.
      Bat-Tzion Benjaminson
    • Beatrice Gilboa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
        Welcome Ben,

        I'm also living in Israel in a moshav south of Netanya.
        I've'nt got the heavy gooey black soil that you probably talk about, but
        the under ground is also with a big proportion of red clay.

        >> Has anyone experienced a significant loosening and lightening of very
        heavy clay soils over time using no-till methods?

        - I started whith potatoes just put on the soil or in a small hole and
        covered with much organic material or compost. That process improve the
        situation and after a year or so, the situation was already much better. But
        Fukuoka used Daikon as many of us on this list. I think any deep rooted
        plant would do the work...
        You could read on http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net
        many useful explanations on this problem.

        >> I imagine the decomposing roots in the soil will eventually loosen it,
        (and sometimes I leave the roots of annual weeds and spent crops in the
        soil)

        - I never get out the roots of annual weeds but preferably cut them near the
        soil

        >> but my soil here is so gooey and tight that I feel compelled to turn in
        some sand and peat on a pretty frequent basis. What am I missing?

        mulch mulch mulch (on watered soil in the begining). Large diversity or
        plants. Patience to learn and act from the observation, and not from our
        ideas (and that is a uge program!)

        Best wishes

        Beatrice G
        Udim, Israel
      • Sergio Montinola
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2004
          Dear Beatrice,

          Our experience in the tropics is to mulch, mulch and
          mulch. This natural process improves the soil and
          actually builds more natural soil.

          I am sure in your case, mulching is the best natural
          process you can practice in all your problems of soil.

          Keep us informed of your experiences. Thanks,

          Serge M.
          Philippines.

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com