Re: [fukuoka_farming] Fwd:The Coming Singularity

  • Michael Worham
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
      Hi William,

      Thanks for speaking up here - it certainly needed to
      be said. It's a real dissapointment when I log on and
      see half a dozen Fukuoka Farming mails, and they are
      mostly related to individual beliefs, views, and
      opinions that don't really relate to the subject.
      There's a saying that you should never discuss
      Politics or Religion amongst friends, and while
      Fukuoka-san's philopohy incorporates elements of both,
      I feel that these make just a part of his ideas. Some
      on this group however, focus too heavily on the
      phiosophical element, going to the extreme, and
      consequently distorting the message with their own
      prejudices and ideals. Well, we are here to discuss
      Fukuoka, not their meanderings.

      I wil take a phrase that I read recently about
      sustainable development and this "alternative
      culture": "Just make sure that you are an eco-warrior,
      not an eco-worrier". You have to practice what you
      preach, but in the case of certain more vocal speakers
      on this forum, I wonder how far they are from really
      practicing Mr Fukuoka's guidelines.

      Let's all try to stay on course and focus on his
      teachings. We do not need to be distracted by
      individual ideologies and in-fighting. Please let's
      stay on the subject! A couple of years ago, this group
      was very dynamic, with a good, strong spirit: we also
      had people who were speaking from experience. When it
      comes to natural farming - and if you remember, this
      IS what we are supposed to be discussing - there is no
      substitute for experience. We should be sharing the
      fruits of our struggles to learn what has long been
      forgotten. Fukuoka shows us the path, let's follow his
      principles instead of taking winding diversions.

      Peace and light,
      MIchael

      --- William Stocker <stoc85@...> wrote:

> [...]
      === message truncated ===

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • Sergio Montinola
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
        Dear Michael and William.

        Michael is 100% right. I second the motion. Lets talk
        Fukuoka and forget distortions and distractions.

        Serge M.

      • Vijay Wilankar
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
          Dear All:

          I agree with Mike.

          We have to be focussed and nothing other than Fukuaka's Farming. Let us all follow it strictly.

          That would help us all.

          Regards,

          Vijay ....from India.

          Michael Worham <mworham@...> wrote:
          Hi William,

          Thanks for speaking up here - it certainly needed to
          be said. It's a real dissapointment when I log on and
          see half a dozen Fukuoka Farming mails, and they are
          mostly related to individual beliefs, views, and
          opinions that don't really relate to the subject.
          There's a saying that you should never discuss
          Politics or Religion amongst friends, and while
          Fukuoka-san's philopohy incorporates elements of both,
          I feel that these make just a part of his ideas. Some
          on this group however, focus too heavily on the
          phiosophical element, going to the extreme, and
          consequently distorting the message with their own
          prejudices and ideals. Well, we are here to discuss
          Fukuoka, not their meanderings.

          I wil take a phrase that I read recently about
          sustainable development and this "alternative
          culture": "Just make sure that you are an eco-warrior,
          not an eco-worrier". You have to practice what you
          preach, but in the case of certain more vocal speakers
          on this forum, I wonder how far they are from really
          practicing Mr Fukuoka's guidelines.

          Let's all try to stay on course and focus on his
          teachings. We do not need to be distracted by
          individual ideologies and in-fighting. Please let's
          stay on the subject! A couple of years ago, this group
          was very dynamic, with a good, strong spirit: we also
          had people who were speaking from experience. When it
          comes to natural farming - and if you remember, this
          IS what we are supposed to be discussing - there is no
          substitute for experience. We should be sharing the
          fruits of our struggles to learn what has long been
          forgotten. Fukuoka shows us the path, let's follow his
          principles instead of taking winding diversions.

          Peace and light,
          MIchael

          --- William Stocker <stoc85@...> wrote:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Get unlimited calls to

          U.S./Canada

          Do it right the first time, all the time....

        • jimmy allen
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
            It is all needed. The emotional opinions are simply the manure for the bigger farm to grow. Why not use it for fertilizer? The emotional releasing is stimulation for some individuals growth - that is natural. Fukuoka's farming can be a tool (not the goal) used to reach the goals that exist beyond our little personal gardens on the land, as well as for our little gardens. To duplicate Fukuoka would be a mistake.
            Natural blessings,

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            jimmy
            520 400 8675

          • waybackwitch
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
              was the coming singularity really off topic?

              Masanobu:

              The African governments and the United States government want people
              to grow coffee, tea, cotton, peanuts, sugar - only five or six
              varieties to export and make money. Vegetables are just food, they
              don't bring in any money. They say they will provide corn and grain,
              so people don't have to grow their own vegetables.

              The people in Ethiopia cook rice, barley and vegetables. They are
              happy being small farmers. The United States government is telling
              them to work, work, like slaves on a big farm, growing coffee. The
              United States is telling them that they can make money and be happy
              that way.

              African government is discouraging home gardens and small farming.
              During the last 100 years, garden seed has become scarce.

              (from an interview in 1986)

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Vijay Wilankar
              <vijaywilankar@y...> wrote:
              > Dear All:
              >
              > I agree with Mike.
              >
              > We have to be focussed and nothing other than Fukuaka's Farming.
              Let us all follow it strictly.

              > That would help us all.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Vijay ....from India.
              >
              > Michael Worham <mworham@y...> wrote:
              > Hi William,
              >
              > Thanks for speaking up here - it certainly needed to
              > be said. It's a real dissapointment when I log on and
              > see half a dozen Fukuoka Farming mails, and they are
              > mostly related to individual beliefs, views, and
              > opinions that don't really relate to the subject.
              > There's a saying that you should never discuss
              > Politics or Religion amongst friends, and while
              > Fukuoka-san's philopohy incorporates elements of both,
              > I feel that these make just a part of his ideas. Some
              > on this group however, focus too heavily on the
              > phiosophical element, going to the extreme, and
              > consequently distorting the message with their own
              > prejudices and ideals. Well, we are here to discuss
              > Fukuoka, not their meanderings.
              >
              > I wil take a phrase that I read recently about
              > sustainable development and this "alternative
              > culture": "Just make sure that you are an eco-warrior,
              > not an eco-worrier". You have to practice what you
              > preach, but in the case of certain more vocal speakers
              > on this forum, I wonder how far they are from really
              > practicing Mr Fukuoka's guidelines.
              >
              > Let's all try to stay on course and focus on his
              > teachings. We do not need to be distracted by
              > individual ideologies and in-fighting. Please let's
              > stay on the subject! A couple of years ago, this group
              > was very dynamic, with a good, strong spirit: we also
              > had people who were speaking from experience. When it
              > comes to natural farming - and if you remember, this
              > IS what we are supposed to be discussing - there is no
              > substitute for experience. We should be sharing the
              > fruits of our struggles to learn what has long been
              > forgotten. Fukuoka shows us the path, let's follow his
              > principles instead of taking winding diversions.
              >
              > Peace and light,
              > MIchael
              >

              > --- William Stocker <stoc85@s...> wrote:

              Service.

              > Do it right the first time, all the time....
              >
              > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partneronline.

            • benonthenet
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
                I agree that we should stick to discussions of natural farming.
                Anyone who wants to discuss politics and other topics can discuss
                them on boards where that is appropriate.

                Benjamin
                (Long Beach, CA)

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, jimmy allen <flowqi@y...>
                wrote:

                > It is all needed. The emotional opinions are simply the manure for
                the bigger farm to grow. Why not use it for fertilizer? The
                emotional releasing is stimulation for some individuals growth -
                that is natural. Fukuoka's farming can be a tool (not the goal) used
                to reach the goals that exist beyond our little personal gardens on
                the land, as well as for our little gardens. To duplicate Fukuoka
                would be a mistake.
                > Natural blessings,

              • angela flynn
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
                  I have not had much time to contribute lately, I moved
                  and started a new job with an organic landscaping
                  company and am finally feeling settled, but my .02� is
                  to allow a broad range here. All of us who farm are
                  potentially effected by political happenings. It is
                  important to keep abreast.

                  The whole gm topic is of vital importance. When these
                  crops cross pollinate with non gm crops, the resulting
                  seed becomes the property of the patent holder of the
                  orignal gm seed. The case of Percy Schmeiser in
                  Canada is a unfortunate example of what can happen to
                  a farmer who had been saving and developing seed for
                  15 years.

                  I believe the goal of these multinationals is to take
                  over the entire seed supply. There is an effort to
                  stop this in California. Three counties have passed
                  ordinances to prohibit the growing of gm crops. And
                  there will likely be a state wide effort in the near
                  future. Vermont has passed legislation to protect
                  farmers from any gm cross polination, holding the
                  patent holder liable.

                  If you can, see the "Future of Food" a documentary on
                  this topic produced by Deborah Koons Garcia. Here's a
                  link to a review and how to get the film.

                  http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/future-of-food.cfm

                  Regards,

                  Angela

                  http://mail.yahoo.com