Re: [fukuoka_farming] Fwd:The Coming Singularity

  • Sergio Montinola
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
      Dear Michael,

      MY REPLY OR COMMENT IS CAPITAL LETTERS AS FOLLOWS;

      --- michael <mdearing@...> wrote:

      > > Hello friend,
      > >
      > > It's been a long time since I last sent a message
      > to you. So much has
      > > transpired in the past 3+ years, it's hard to know
      > where to start.
      > > I'll be sending a few messages to you in coming
      > months, exploring
      > > several vital issues and a fascinating, compelling
      > project I'm leading
      > > that is scheduled to launch in the first half of
      > 2005.
      > >
      > > But on the day of an election almost universally
      > seen as a key
      > > inflection point for the United States and the
      > world, I'd like to
      > > share some thoughts on issues bigger than those
      > talked about by either
      > > candidate for President.
      > >

      > > A Forcing Function for a New Civilization
      > >
      > > Since the paradigm-shattering attacks of September
      > 11, 2001, the U.S.
      > > has declared a "war on terror that will not end in
      > our lifetimes".

      BUT AS THE SAYING GOES, "THE END OF A JOURNEY BEGINS
      WITH ONE STEP FORWARD".

      The
      > > Bush administration has established a new
      > pre-emptive National
      > > Security policy, radically expanded budgets for
      > defensive and
      > > offensive military operations, invaded two
      > countries, only one of
      > > which -- even according to the official story now
      > -- harbored real
      > > threats to our nation, and cracked down on civil
      > liberties at home.

      FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY IS WORTH DYING FOR.

      > > The results so far: the Muslim world is inflamed
      > toward the U.S. like
      > > never before in the history of our nation.

      THE MUSLIM WORLD IS ALSO INFLAMED TOWARDS "TERRORIST"
      AMONG THEIR FLOCK. DO NOT CONFUSE THE MUSLIM WORLD
      WITH "TERRORISM".

      > Afghanistan remains
      > > significantly in the control of warlords, yet is
      > struggling to achieve
      > > stability amidst hopeful elections, resistant
      > fundamentalists and a
      > > record-setting, exploding heroin trade that
      > remains central to its
      > > economy. And the primary objective of that war --
      > Osama bin Laden --
      > > remains at large.

      SO BE IT. DO NOT GIVE UP UNTIL OSAMA BIN LADEN IS
      CAPTURED AND DECAPITATED.

      > > For the moment, at least, Iraq appears to be
      > spinning out of control.
      > > Daily attacks on troops, contractors and Iraqi
      > officials are rising.
      > > Beheadings of hostages are horrifying a world that
      > relied upon
      > > pronouncements of Bush and Blair that a different
      > kind of outcome
      > > would follow from their attempt at liberation.

      GUSH AND BLAIR WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE END.

      As
      > a result of the
      > > chaos unleashed in Iraq, it seems painfully likely
      > that new Osama bin
      > > Ladens are being minted every time Iraqis witness
      > the dismemberment of
      > > their family members -- now numbering at least in
      > the tens of
      > > thousands.

      THIS IS WHAT OSAMA BIN LADEN THINKS AND HOPES TO
      ACCOMPLISH. DID THE WAR ON HITLER BREED MORE HITLERS?
      WHAT MAKES BIN LADEN DIFFERENT? YOUR ATTITUDE OF
      SURRENDER WILL NEVER BE ACCEPTABLE.

      > > In Iraq we can see the inevitable Newtonian
      > reaction to unilateral
      > > occupation by a foreign culture, reaffirming laws
      > of social physics we
      > > should have learned many wars ago.

      WRONG AGAIN, HISTORY PROVES OTHERWISE. THERE IS NO
      SUCH THING AS "A FOREIGN CULTURE". THERE IS ONLY ONE
      CULTURE, THE CULTURE OF LOVE, PEACE AND A FREEDOM OF
      CHOICE NOT DICTATORS LIKE BIN LADEN, SADDAM AND
      HITLER.

      > > Meanwhile, the central vortex of Middle-East
      > conflict between Israelis
      > > and Palestinians remains largely ignored by
      > Washington. And its
      > > temperature continues to rise. In the past three
      > years, thousands have
      > > died, a new 20-foot-high Biblical Wall --
      > unthinkable in 2000 -- is
      > > now racing towards completion, and politics on
      > both sides of that wall
      > > continue to polarize.

      PALESTINIANS MUST ACCEPT ISRAEL AS A NATION AND BUILD
      THEIRS ON LOVE, PEACE AND FREEDOM. "TERRORISM" CANNOT
      BE A SOLUTION.

      > > In this context, it is essential that people
      > around the world explore
      > > whether the objectives of U.S. foreign policy are
      > actually that same
      > > as those officially declared by the Bush
      > administration. For it is
      > > possible that the real objectives are quite
      > different than those you
      > > know about.

      "DOUGHTING TOMASES" IS THE ENEMY'S WEAPON. THE U.S.
      FOREIGN POLICY IS A DEMOCRATIC SOLUTION NOT ONLY A
      BUSH ADMINISTRATION. ELECTION IS OVER, THE PEOPLE HAVE
      SPOKEN.

      It is possible that the real
      > objectives have a lot to do
      > > with an epochal crisis facing human civilization,
      > an event likely
      > > known best to oil men. It is an event that will
      > challenge every aspect
      > > of our modern life, an event that is just now
      > breaking into public

      ANOTHER MISGUIDED THOUGHT AWAY FROM "LOVE,PEACE AND
      FREEDOM" THE ONLY VIABLE SOLUTION.

      > > The Energy Crisis
      > >
      > > If you have followed my writings in the past five
      > years, you know that
      > > I have supported efforts to discover new solutions
      > to this epic
      > > challenge of our time: developing new,
      > non-polluting energy and
      > > propulsion technologies for the growing appetites
      > of modern society.

      THIS IS COMING IF NOT ALREADY HERE.

      > > In the past six months, it has become clear to me
      > that we are running
      > > out of time to respond to this challenge, much
      > more rapidly than I
      > > previously expected. It is increasingly clear that
      > our world will soon
      > > experience an event called Peak Oil. The
      > implications are beyond
      > > serious. The implications are almost beyond
      > description. The
      > > implications are urgent, perhaps even more so than
      > the problems of
      > > terrorism or global trade or domestic social
      > contracts.

      TO PEOPLE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD, THERE IS NO HOPE.
      TO LOSE HOPE IS TO DENY GOD. TO DENY GOD IS THE REAL
      PROBLEM.

      > > Why? Peak Oil is the moment in time when humanity
      > has consumed half or
      > > more of the oil cheaply available for
      > exploitation. Thereafter, the
      > > aggregate production of oil begins a permanent
      > decline, its price
      > > begins a permanent climb, and the global economy
      > begins to
      > > destabilize.

      PEAK OIL IS NOT GOD, MAN PROPOSES AND GOD DISPOSES.

      > > Oil doesn't just propel our cars. It lights,
      > heats, cools and powers
      > > our homes. It makes every piece of plastic, prints
      > every computer
      > > chip, carves every beam of steel and wood,
      > prepares every bite of food
      > > we eat, and delivers every drop of water we drink.
      > It enables you to
      > > read this email.

      GOD ENABLES ME TO LIVE AND READ. OIL IS MATERIAL. THIS
      I BELIEVE AND WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE US LIVE.

      > > With this in mind, consider the following quotes.
      > First, from one of
      > > the most highly regarded energy analysts in the
      > investment banking
      > > world, Matthew Simmons
      > (http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/default.asp):
      > >
      > > "The situation is desperate. This is the world's
      > biggest serious
      > > question... If you read The Perfect Storm , where
      > a freak storm
      > > materializes out of the convergence of three
      > weather systems, our
      > > energy crisis results from the same phenomenon.

      THIS IS THE THOUGHT OF A NON-BELIEVER. AS THE SAYING
      GOES, "THERE ARE NO NON=BELIEVERS IN FOXHOLES."

      > > "It is past time. As I have said, the experts and
      > politicians have no
      > > Plan B to fall back on. If energy peaks,
      > particularly while 5 of the
      > > world's 6.5 billion people have little or no use
      > of modern energy, it
      > > will be a tremendous jolt to our economic
      > well-being and to our health
      > > � greater than anyone could ever imagine."
      > >
      > > Asked if there is a solution to the impending
      > crisis, Simmons
      > > responded:
      > >
      > > "I don't think there is one. The solution is to
      > pray. Under the best
      > > of circumstances, if all prayers are answered
      > there will be no crisis
      > > for maybe two years. After that it's a certainty."

      TRUE PRAYER IS THE ONLY RECOURSE. GOD AND NOT MAN CAN
      SOLVE ALL OUR PROBLEMS AND UNCERTAINTYS.

      THE REST IS WISHFUL THINKING.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/bAOolB/TM

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • William Stocker
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
        I sugest that we keep this shit off of our discussion sight.
        William.

> [...]
        > > with Larry Wachowski
        > > > on the meaning of the paradigm-shattering film,
        > > The Matrix. Somewhere
        > > > in the archives, you can also listen to my recent
        > > interview with Ken.
        > > >
        > > > If you'd like to set your mind on fire with ideas
        > > that are changing
        > > > your world, check them out at
        > > http://integralnaked.org.
        > > >

        > > > A Vision of the Third Millennium
        > > >
        > > > For several years, I've been working on projects
        > > intended to help
        > > > address the deepest crises we all face. I invite
        > > you to check out
        > > > drafts of some of my writings, available at
        > > http://firmage.org. Some
        > > > are easy to read, others are more difficult to
        > > absorb. Right or wrong,
        > > > they all reflect my view of the potential
        > > solutions we must explore.
        > > >
        > > > Stay tuned for some important announcements about

      • Sergio Montinola
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
          I aggree, if you aggree to do likewise.
          Serge

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 7, 2004
            Same to you.

            --- Sergio Montinola <sjmosprey2001@...> wrote:

            > I aggree, if you aggree to do likewise.
            > Serge

          • Michael Worham
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
              Hi William,

              Thanks for speaking up here - it certainly needed to
              be said. It's a real dissapointment when I log on and
              see half a dozen Fukuoka Farming mails, and they are
              mostly related to individual beliefs, views, and
              opinions that don't really relate to the subject.
              There's a saying that you should never discuss
              Politics or Religion amongst friends, and while
              Fukuoka-san's philopohy incorporates elements of both,
              I feel that these make just a part of his ideas. Some
              on this group however, focus too heavily on the
              phiosophical element, going to the extreme, and
              consequently distorting the message with their own
              prejudices and ideals. Well, we are here to discuss
              Fukuoka, not their meanderings.

              I wil take a phrase that I read recently about
              sustainable development and this "alternative
              culture": "Just make sure that you are an eco-warrior,
              not an eco-worrier". You have to practice what you
              preach, but in the case of certain more vocal speakers
              on this forum, I wonder how far they are from really
              practicing Mr Fukuoka's guidelines.

              Let's all try to stay on course and focus on his
              teachings. We do not need to be distracted by
              individual ideologies and in-fighting. Please let's
              stay on the subject! A couple of years ago, this group
              was very dynamic, with a good, strong spirit: we also
              had people who were speaking from experience. When it
              comes to natural farming - and if you remember, this
              IS what we are supposed to be discussing - there is no
              substitute for experience. We should be sharing the
              fruits of our struggles to learn what has long been
              forgotten. Fukuoka shows us the path, let's follow his
              principles instead of taking winding diversions.

              Peace and light,
              MIchael

              --- William Stocker <stoc85@...> wrote:

              === message truncated ===

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
                Dear Michael and William.

                Michael is 100% right. I second the motion. Lets talk
                Fukuoka and forget distortions and distractions.

                Serge M.

              • Vijay Wilankar
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
                  Dear All:

                  I agree with Mike.

                  We have to be focussed and nothing other than Fukuaka's Farming. Let us all follow it strictly.

                  That would help us all.

                  Regards,

                  Vijay ....from India.

                  Michael Worham <mworham@...> wrote:
                  Hi William,

                  Thanks for speaking up here - it certainly needed to
                  be said. It's a real dissapointment when I log on and
                  see half a dozen Fukuoka Farming mails, and they are
                  mostly related to individual beliefs, views, and
                  opinions that don't really relate to the subject.
                  There's a saying that you should never discuss
                  Politics or Religion amongst friends, and while
                  Fukuoka-san's philopohy incorporates elements of both,
                  I feel that these make just a part of his ideas. Some
                  on this group however, focus too heavily on the
                  phiosophical element, going to the extreme, and
                  consequently distorting the message with their own
                  prejudices and ideals. Well, we are here to discuss
                  Fukuoka, not their meanderings.

                  I wil take a phrase that I read recently about
                  sustainable development and this "alternative
                  culture": "Just make sure that you are an eco-warrior,
                  not an eco-worrier". You have to practice what you
                  preach, but in the case of certain more vocal speakers
                  on this forum, I wonder how far they are from really
                  practicing Mr Fukuoka's guidelines.

                  Let's all try to stay on course and focus on his
                  teachings. We do not need to be distracted by
                  individual ideologies and in-fighting. Please let's
                  stay on the subject! A couple of years ago, this group
                  was very dynamic, with a good, strong spirit: we also
                  had people who were speaking from experience. When it
                  comes to natural farming - and if you remember, this
                  IS what we are supposed to be discussing - there is no
                  substitute for experience. We should be sharing the
                  fruits of our struggles to learn what has long been
                  forgotten. Fukuoka shows us the path, let's follow his
                  principles instead of taking winding diversions.

                  Peace and light,
                  MIchael

                  --- William Stocker <stoc85@...> wrote:

                  === message truncated ===

                  Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                  www.yahoo.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  Get unlimited calls to

                  U.S./Canada

                  Do it right the first time, all the time....

                • jimmy allen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
                    It is all needed. The emotional opinions are simply the manure for the bigger farm to grow. Why not use it for fertilizer? The emotional releasing is stimulation for some individuals growth - that is natural. Fukuoka's farming can be a tool (not the goal) used to reach the goals that exist beyond our little personal gardens on the land, as well as for our little gardens. To duplicate Fukuoka would be a mistake.
                    Natural blessings,

                    Vijay Wilankar <vijaywilankar@...> wrote:
                    Dear All:

                    I agree with Mike.

                    We have to be focussed and nothing other than Fukuaka's Farming. Let us all follow it strictly.

                    That would help us all.

                    Regards,

                    Vijay ....from India.

                    Michael Worham <mworham@...> wrote:
                    Hi William,

                    Thanks for speaking up here - it certainly needed to
                    be said. It's a real dissapointment when I log on and
                    see half a dozen Fukuoka Farming mails, and they are
                    mostly related to individual beliefs, views, and
                    opinions that don't really relate to the subject.
                    There's a saying that you should never discuss
                    Politics or Religion amongst friends, and while
                    Fukuoka-san's philopohy incorporates elements of both,
                    I feel that these make just a part of his ideas. Some
                    on this group however, focus too heavily on the
                    phiosophical element, going to the extreme, and
                    consequently distorting the message with their own
                    prejudices and ideals. Well, we are here to discuss
                    Fukuoka, not their meanderings.

                    I wil take a phrase that I read recently about
                    sustainable development and this "alternative
                    culture": "Just make sure that you are an eco-warrior,
                    not an eco-worrier". You have to practice what you
                    preach, but in the case of certain more vocal speakers
                    on this forum, I wonder how far they are from really
                    practicing Mr Fukuoka's guidelines.

                    Let's all try to stay on course and focus on his
                    teachings. We do not need to be distracted by
                    individual ideologies and in-fighting. Please let's
                    stay on the subject! A couple of years ago, this group
                    was very dynamic, with a good, strong spirit: we also
                    had people who were speaking from experience. When it
                    comes to natural farming - and if you remember, this
                    IS what we are supposed to be discussing - there is no
                    substitute for experience. We should be sharing the
                    fruits of our struggles to learn what has long been
                    forgotten. Fukuoka shows us the path, let's follow his
                    principles instead of taking winding diversions.

                    Peace and light,
                    MIchael

                    --- William Stocker <stoc85@...> wrote:

                    === message truncated ===

                    Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                    www.yahoo.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    Get unlimited calls to

                    U.S./Canada

                    Do it right the first time, all the time....

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    jimmy
                    520 400 8675

                  • waybackwitch
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
                      was the coming singularity really off topic?

                      Masanobu:

                      The African governments and the United States government want people
                      to grow coffee, tea, cotton, peanuts, sugar - only five or six
                      varieties to export and make money. Vegetables are just food, they
                      don't bring in any money. They say they will provide corn and grain,
                      so people don't have to grow their own vegetables.

                      The people in Ethiopia cook rice, barley and vegetables. They are
                      happy being small farmers. The United States government is telling
                      them to work, work, like slaves on a big farm, growing coffee. The
                      United States is telling them that they can make money and be happy
                      that way.

                      African government is discouraging home gardens and small farming.
                      During the last 100 years, garden seed has become scarce.

                      (from an interview in 1986)

                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Vijay Wilankar
                      <vijaywilankar@y...> wrote:
                      > Dear All:
                      >
                      > I agree with Mike.
                      >
                      > We have to be focussed and nothing other than Fukuaka's Farming.
                      Let us all follow it strictly.

                      > That would help us all.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Vijay ....from India.
                      >
                      > Michael Worham <mworham@y...> wrote:
                      > Hi William,
                      >
                      > Thanks for speaking up here - it certainly needed to
                      > be said. It's a real dissapointment when I log on and
                      > see half a dozen Fukuoka Farming mails, and they are
                      > mostly related to individual beliefs, views, and
                      > opinions that don't really relate to the subject.
                      > There's a saying that you should never discuss
                      > Politics or Religion amongst friends, and while
                      > Fukuoka-san's philopohy incorporates elements of both,
                      > I feel that these make just a part of his ideas. Some
                      > on this group however, focus too heavily on the
                      > phiosophical element, going to the extreme, and
                      > consequently distorting the message with their own
                      > prejudices and ideals. Well, we are here to discuss
                      > Fukuoka, not their meanderings.
                      >
                      > I wil take a phrase that I read recently about
                      > sustainable development and this "alternative
                      > culture": "Just make sure that you are an eco-warrior,
                      > not an eco-worrier". You have to practice what you
                      > preach, but in the case of certain more vocal speakers
                      > on this forum, I wonder how far they are from really
                      > practicing Mr Fukuoka's guidelines.
                      >
                      > Let's all try to stay on course and focus on his
                      > teachings. We do not need to be distracted by
                      > individual ideologies and in-fighting. Please let's
                      > stay on the subject! A couple of years ago, this group
                      > was very dynamic, with a good, strong spirit: we also
                      > had people who were speaking from experience. When it
                      > comes to natural farming - and if you remember, this
                      > IS what we are supposed to be discussing - there is no
                      > substitute for experience. We should be sharing the
                      > fruits of our struggles to learn what has long been
                      > forgotten. Fukuoka shows us the path, let's follow his
                      > principles instead of taking winding diversions.
                      >
                      > Peace and light,
                      > MIchael
                      >

                      > --- William Stocker <stoc85@s...> wrote:

                      Service.

                      > Do it right the first time, all the time....
                      >
                      > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partneronline.

                    • benonthenet
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
                        I agree that we should stick to discussions of natural farming.
                        Anyone who wants to discuss politics and other topics can discuss
                        them on boards where that is appropriate.

                        Benjamin
                        (Long Beach, CA)

                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, jimmy allen <flowqi@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > It is all needed. The emotional opinions are simply the manure for
                        the bigger farm to grow. Why not use it for fertilizer? The
                        emotional releasing is stimulation for some individuals growth -
                        that is natural. Fukuoka's farming can be a tool (not the goal) used
                        to reach the goals that exist beyond our little personal gardens on
                        the land, as well as for our little gardens. To duplicate Fukuoka
                        would be a mistake.
                        > Natural blessings,

                      • angela flynn
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 19, 2004
                          I have not had much time to contribute lately, I moved
                          and started a new job with an organic landscaping
                          company and am finally feeling settled, but my .02� is
                          to allow a broad range here. All of us who farm are
                          potentially effected by political happenings. It is
                          important to keep abreast.

                          The whole gm topic is of vital importance. When these
                          crops cross pollinate with non gm crops, the resulting
                          seed becomes the property of the patent holder of the
                          orignal gm seed. The case of Percy Schmeiser in
                          Canada is a unfortunate example of what can happen to
                          a farmer who had been saving and developing seed for
                          15 years.

                          I believe the goal of these multinationals is to take
                          over the entire seed supply. There is an effort to
                          stop this in California. Three counties have passed
                          ordinances to prohibit the growing of gm crops. And
                          there will likely be a state wide effort in the near
                          future. Vermont has passed legislation to protect
                          farmers from any gm cross polination, holding the
                          patent holder liable.

                          If you can, see the "Future of Food" a documentary on
                          this topic produced by Deborah Koons Garcia. Here's a
                          link to a review and how to get the film.

                          http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/future-of-food.cfm

                          Regards,

                          Angela

                          http://mail.yahoo.com