Re: Tree Clearing by Lorrie

  • pollywog
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2004
      ---It rather depend on the type of locust. Honey locust and black
      locust are both considered toxic to some degree (with the exception of
      the flowers), especially the bark. The toxins are eradicated by
      heat,which is how many parts are usable for food. But... who's gonna
      cook up a nice mess of fenceposts? <G>

      For about any other livestock, I'd say just de-bark it and go ahead.
      Goats, however, do like to chew on things, and the wood does tend to
      spinter, besides any possible toxins. I'd be concerned about the
      little guys getting mouthfuls of shredded wood, more than anything else.

      For goats, I'd go with hedgewood, myself. But I'm no expert.

      Heh, as usual, I yak alot but say nothing. {;) The bottom line is, I
      might ask some goat experts about that, or perhaps your local
      Extension office, if someone on group here doesn't know. deb

      In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "neptune_violet"
      <lorraine_spencer@m...> wrote:

      > I do have a question about the locust wood. I had heard that it makes
      > good fence posts. I was thinking of using it to create fencing for my
      > goats. However, I heard the wood is poisonous. Do you know how true
      > this is?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Lorrie

    • ehren_coleman
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
        from THE NATURAL WAY OF FARMING p.149
        "Vegetation on the hillside is cut in lateral strips, and the large
        trunks, branches, and leaves of the felled trees are arranged or
        buried in trenches running along hill contours, covered with earth,
        and allowed to decompose naturally. None of the vegetation cut down
        in the orchard should be carried away."