Re: [fukuoka_farming] Jerusalem Artichokes (Sunchokes)

  • UrbanWild
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2004
      Hi Ben,

      I didn't write it, but it consistant with all the info I've read:
      Keep them in the ground until you need them.

      http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600809.html

      To obtain the maximum yield of Jerusalem artichokes,
      wait until late fall when the leaves of the plant begin to
      die before harvesting the tubers. Store tubers in a cool
      place (32 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit) embedded in moist sand
      to keep the humidity high. If the humidity is not kept
      high, the tubers will shrivel.

      Jerusalem artichokes may be left in the ground over
      winter. Mulch heavily so that the ground doesn't totally
      freeze. Dig up tubers as needed.

      Take care,

      UW

      My Urban Garden projects
      http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
      Items wanted and Thanks [received]
      http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2004
        Hi Ben,

        It is common practice in rural France to leave the
        tubers in the ground over winter. It is said that the
        colder the tubers get, the sweeter they taste.

        All the best,
        Michael

        --- UrbanWild <urbanwild@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ben,
        >
        > I didn't write it, but it consistant with all the
        > info I've read:
        > Keep them in the ground until you need them.
        >
        > http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600809.html
        >
        > To obtain the maximum yield of Jerusalem
        > artichokes,
        > wait until late fall when the leaves of the plant
        > begin to
        > die before harvesting the tubers. Store tubers in a
        > cool
        > place (32 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit) embedded in
        > moist sand
        > to keep the humidity high. If the humidity is not
        > kept
        > high, the tubers will shrivel.
        >
        > Jerusalem artichokes may be left in the ground over
        > winter. Mulch heavily so that the ground doesn't
        > totally
        > freeze. Dig up tubers as needed.
        >
        > Take care,
        >
        > UW
        >

        > My Urban Garden projects
        > http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
        > Items wanted and Thanks [received]
        > http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • benonthenet
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2004
          Thanks Michael and UW!

          Sounds like I just need to leave the tubers in the ground until I
          need them. I live in southern California by the ocean, so the
          weather doesn't get cold enough to get any chill.

          I'll be putting most of the tubers back into the ground this week to
          come back up. It's planting season!

          Benjamin
          Long Beach, CA