Jerusalem Artichokes (Sunchokes)

  • benonthenet
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2004
      Does anyone know how to get jerusalem artichokes to store for longer
      than just a few days? They seem to go bad so quickly.

      Benjamin
      Long Beach, CA
    • UrbanWild
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2004
        Hi Ben,

        I didn't write it, but it consistant with all the info I've read:
        Keep them in the ground until you need them.

        http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600809.html

        To obtain the maximum yield of Jerusalem artichokes,
        wait until late fall when the leaves of the plant begin to
        die before harvesting the tubers. Store tubers in a cool
        place (32 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit) embedded in moist sand
        to keep the humidity high. If the humidity is not kept
        high, the tubers will shrivel.

        Jerusalem artichokes may be left in the ground over
        winter. Mulch heavily so that the ground doesn't totally
        freeze. Dig up tubers as needed.

        Take care,

        UW

        My Urban Garden projects
        http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
        Items wanted and Thanks [received]
        http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2004
          Hi Ben,

          It is common practice in rural France to leave the
          tubers in the ground over winter. It is said that the
          colder the tubers get, the sweeter they taste.

          All the best,
          Michael

          --- UrbanWild <urbanwild@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ben,
          >
          > I didn't write it, but it consistant with all the
          > info I've read:
          > Keep them in the ground until you need them.
          >
          > http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600809.html
          >
          > To obtain the maximum yield of Jerusalem
          > artichokes,
          > wait until late fall when the leaves of the plant
          > begin to
          > die before harvesting the tubers. Store tubers in a
          > cool
          > place (32 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit) embedded in
          > moist sand
          > to keep the humidity high. If the humidity is not
          > kept
          > high, the tubers will shrivel.
          >
          > Jerusalem artichokes may be left in the ground over
          > winter. Mulch heavily so that the ground doesn't
          > totally
          > freeze. Dig up tubers as needed.
          >
          > Take care,
          >
          > UW
          >

          > My Urban Garden projects
          > http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
          > Items wanted and Thanks [received]
          > http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • benonthenet
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 18, 2004
            Thanks Michael and UW!

            Sounds like I just need to leave the tubers in the ground until I
            need them. I live in southern California by the ocean, so the
            weather doesn't get cold enough to get any chill.

            I'll be putting most of the tubers back into the ground this week to
            come back up. It's planting season!

            Benjamin
            Long Beach, CA