Re: [fukuoka_farming] sweet potatoes

  • francisco cotejo
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
      Dear Elinor,

      You have to dig if you plant those root crops in the soil.However, if you have wood shavings, rice hull, etc., on top of your soil as your growing medium, pulling is enough.

      Francisco

      Elinor Jean <u3288545@...> wrote:
      Hi, I've got two questions:

      Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem artichokes,
      yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the ground
      without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?

      Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to grow
      sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting them now,
      but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The ones I
      grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing but not
      nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect if I
      just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will rot. Or if
      there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of seed (e.g.
      by mail order?).

      Thanks, Eli.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296ueiei/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097111559/A=2380023/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=124gll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10720 ";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_yahoo_em4_100104.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296ueiei/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097111559/A=2380023/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=124gll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10720 ";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_em4_100104.jpg";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

    • Sean Phelan
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
        William,

        > I see many of us are starting "natural gardens" this year. I feel
        that
        > I must say to you, If you must have Sweet Potatoes, buy them at Safeway
        for
        > two or three years. Your ground is not ready for specialty crops.

        I could not disagree more. Sweet Potatoes are the absolute easiest thing I
        can grow, and they have worked wonders for my property so far.

        What's the catch? I live in Florida.

        I assume the short growing season up north make sweet potatoes a lot of
        work, but down here, I just put it in the ground and it becomes a very
        agressive groundcover, which eventually gives me something to eat. They
        survive year-round in the ground, since we don't get any real frosts.

        I might call them weeds if I hadn't planted them deliberately!

        As a ground cover, it smothers out most other weeds (except bitter melon and
        a specific seeding grass variety), and is easy to mow back if it escapes the
        borders you'd like to keep it in (I garden a small yard, so borders are
        still important)

        Anyhow, to conclude, advice is based on perspective, and perspective in
        gardening is largely defined by where you live. My weed is someone else's
        specialty crop. But ask me to grow an apple tree? Not much chance.

        Happy gardening!
        Sp

        Sean Phelan
        Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense
        http://www.sqcn.com

        > Ben, I send to you because you post most often. William
        >
        > > Dear Students of fukuosa san, 10.05.04
        >
        > I see many of us are starting "natural gardens" this year. I feel
        that
        > I must say to you, If you must have Sweet Potatoes, buy them at Safeway
        for
        > two or three years. Your ground is not ready for specialty crops.
        >
        > First you must establish a "Edible Jungle". Learn the essential
        > composition of a seedball.
        >
        > Best if your land has been fallow for three years or more and has a
        > vigorous crop of weeds. Do not forget, "There is no such thing as a
        noxious
        > weed". Spread seedballs anytime of year. The sooner the better.
        >
        > Spend lots of time in your garden. Learn to identify many plants
        long
        > befor it must screem "I'm a tomato!". "Nature will teach you"
        >
        > I feel that Seed balls in the Fall Should be reseeded in the Spring,
        > after the last frost. Different things will survive for each. This crop
        > should go to seed. Possibly next springs crop also.
        >
        > There is no harm in harvesting discreetly. Like the early American
        > Indians taught, When you find a new herb, look around. Do not kill the
        last
        > of a species.
        >
        > Let the fourth year suprise you with its generosity. The fifth year
        > should suprise you again by maxing out. You probably do that well from now
        > on.
        >
        > You will know that you are getting there when you see many bids,
        gofers
        > and moles. Let us try to remember the noble earthworm. It has been quoted
        > that the deep topsoil of England (some 20 to 40 feet deep on average) has
        > been thru the bodies of earthworms hundreds or thousands of times. He does
        > not need a compost pile.
        >
        > William (a gardener)
        >

        > > Elinor,
        > >
        > > You have do dig the root vegetables out to get them. Or soften the
        > > ground with water sufficiently so that you can pull up them easily.
        > >
        > > Sweet potatoes are a tropical/subtropical crop. They need a pretty
        > > long warm growing season to produce (about 9 months in my
        > > experience). You can get more warmth to the vines if you need to by
        > > planting the sweet potatoes up against rocks, bricks, or
        > > cinderblock. You might even surround the plants with rocks to trap
        > > heat.
        > >
        > > If you put sweet potatoes with some greening eyes in the ground,
        > > they will sprout. Once they are going and have begun to root along
        > > the nodes of the vine, periodically trim the vines back. This sends
        > > more energy towards tuber production instead of vine production.
        > >
        > > Near the end of the season, take some cuttings of the vines and put
        > > them in some compost to root them. If you do this every year, you'll
        > > never need to start new tubers. Just plant out the rooted cuttings
> [...]
      • Sergio Montinola
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
          Dear Sean,

          In our tropical country, sweet potato is a prime
          commodity. It is nutritius too. We eat all parts of
          the plant all year round. Sweet potato frys is far
          supperior to French Potato frys.

          Regards,
          Sergio Montinola
          Philippines

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Sean Phelan
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
            Sergio,

            > In our tropical country, sweet potato is a prime
            > commodity. It is nutritius too. We eat all parts of
            > the plant all year round.

            All parts? Including the greens?

            Could you explain to me how the greens are eaten? I've heard about people
            doing that, but was looking for some first-hand knowledge.

            Thanks!
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
              Dear Sean,

              The problem of eating sweet potato tops is that the
              tubers will not develop. Its one or the other. I
              prefer the tubers.

              The tops can be eaten as a salad or cooked as a
              vegetable garnish in soup or mixed with other recipes.

              Its nutritious and high in Vitamin A & C.

              Sergio