Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: sweet potatoes

  • William Stocker
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
      From: "benonthenet" <benonthenet@...>
      To: <fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 12:25 PM
      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Re: sweet potatoes

      Ben, I send to you because you post most often. William

      > Dear Students of fukuosa san, 10.05.04

      I see many of us are starting "natural gardens" this year. I feel that
      I must say to you, If you must have Sweet Potatoes, buy them at Safeway for
      two or three years. Your ground is not ready for specialty crops.

      First you must establish a "Edible Jungle". Learn the essential
      composition of a seedball.

      Best if your land has been fallow for three years or more and has a
      vigorous crop of weeds. Do not forget, "There is no such thing as a noxious
      weed". Spread seedballs anytime of year. The sooner the better.

      Spend lots of time in your garden. Learn to identify many plants long
      befor it must screem "I'm a tomato!". "Nature will teach you"

      I feel that Seed balls in the Fall Should be reseeded in the Spring,
      after the last frost. Different things will survive for each. This crop
      should go to seed. Possibly next springs crop also.

      There is no harm in harvesting discreetly. Like the early American
      Indians taught, When you find a new herb, look around. Do not kill the last
      of a species.

      Let the fourth year suprise you with its generosity. The fifth year
      should suprise you again by maxing out. You probably do that well from now
      on.

      You will know that you are getting there when you see many bids, gofers
      and moles. Let us try to remember the noble earthworm. It has been quoted
      that the deep topsoil of England (some 20 to 40 feet deep on average) has
      been thru the bodies of earthworms hundreds or thousands of times. He does
      not need a compost pile.

      William (a gardener)

      > Elinor,
      >
      > You have do dig the root vegetables out to get them. Or soften the
      > ground with water sufficiently so that you can pull up them easily.
      >
      > Sweet potatoes are a tropical/subtropical crop. They need a pretty
      > long warm growing season to produce (about 9 months in my
      > experience). You can get more warmth to the vines if you need to by
      > planting the sweet potatoes up against rocks, bricks, or
      > cinderblock. You might even surround the plants with rocks to trap
      > heat.
      >
      > If you put sweet potatoes with some greening eyes in the ground,
      > they will sprout. Once they are going and have begun to root along
      > the nodes of the vine, periodically trim the vines back. This sends
      > more energy towards tuber production instead of vine production.
      >
      > Near the end of the season, take some cuttings of the vines and put
      > them in some compost to root them. If you do this every year, you'll
      > never need to start new tubers. Just plant out the rooted cuttings
      > when it warms up outside.
      >
      > Benjamin
      > Long Beach, CA

    • benonthenet
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
        William,

        I like that!

        My dream is to have my own plot that I completely have control over
        so that I can cocreate a natural garden without having to worry
        about others being concerned about my weeds and fallow ground.

        Natural gardening is more than an activity. It presents a relaxed
        wholistic perspective on life if one is willing to see it.

        Benjamin
        Long Beach, CA

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "William Stocker"
        <stoc85@s...> wrote:

> [...]
      • francisco cotejo
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
          Dear Elinor,

          You have to dig if you plant those root crops in the soil.However, if you have wood shavings, rice hull, etc., on top of your soil as your growing medium, pulling is enough.

          Francisco

          Elinor Jean <u3288545@...> wrote:
          Hi, I've got two questions:

          Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem artichokes,
          yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the ground
          without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?

          Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to grow
          sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting them now,
          but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The ones I
          grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing but not
          nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect if I
          just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will rot. Or if
          there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of seed (e.g.
          by mail order?).

          Thanks, Eli.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296ueiei/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097111559/A=2380023/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=124gll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10720 ";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_yahoo_em4_100104.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296ueiei/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097111559/A=2380023/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=124gll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10720 ";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_em4_100104.jpg";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

        • Sean Phelan
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
            William,

            > I see many of us are starting "natural gardens" this year. I feel
            that
            > I must say to you, If you must have Sweet Potatoes, buy them at Safeway
            for
            > two or three years. Your ground is not ready for specialty crops.

            I could not disagree more. Sweet Potatoes are the absolute easiest thing I
            can grow, and they have worked wonders for my property so far.

            What's the catch? I live in Florida.

            I assume the short growing season up north make sweet potatoes a lot of
            work, but down here, I just put it in the ground and it becomes a very
            agressive groundcover, which eventually gives me something to eat. They
            survive year-round in the ground, since we don't get any real frosts.

            I might call them weeds if I hadn't planted them deliberately!

            As a ground cover, it smothers out most other weeds (except bitter melon and
            a specific seeding grass variety), and is easy to mow back if it escapes the
            borders you'd like to keep it in (I garden a small yard, so borders are
            still important)

            Anyhow, to conclude, advice is based on perspective, and perspective in
            gardening is largely defined by where you live. My weed is someone else's
            specialty crop. But ask me to grow an apple tree? Not much chance.

            Happy gardening!
            Sp

            Sean Phelan
            Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense
            http://www.sqcn.com

> [...]
            > >
            > > Sweet potatoes are a tropical/subtropical crop. They need a pretty
            > > long warm growing season to produce (about 9 months in my
            > > experience). You can get more warmth to the vines if you need to by
            > > planting the sweet potatoes up against rocks, bricks, or
            > > cinderblock. You might even surround the plants with rocks to trap
            > > heat.
            > >
            > > If you put sweet potatoes with some greening eyes in the ground,
            > > they will sprout. Once they are going and have begun to root along
            > > the nodes of the vine, periodically trim the vines back. This sends
            > > more energy towards tuber production instead of vine production.
            > >
            > > Near the end of the season, take some cuttings of the vines and put
            > > them in some compost to root them. If you do this every year, you'll
            > > never need to start new tubers. Just plant out the rooted cuttings

          • Sergio Montinola
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
              Dear Sean,

              In our tropical country, sweet potato is a prime
              commodity. It is nutritius too. We eat all parts of
              the plant all year round. Sweet potato frys is far
              supperior to French Potato frys.

              Regards,
              Sergio Montinola
              Philippines

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • Sean Phelan
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                Sergio,

                > In our tropical country, sweet potato is a prime
                > commodity. It is nutritius too. We eat all parts of
                > the plant all year round.

                All parts? Including the greens?

                Could you explain to me how the greens are eaten? I've heard about people
                doing that, but was looking for some first-hand knowledge.

                Thanks!
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                  Dear Sean,

                  The problem of eating sweet potato tops is that the
                  tubers will not develop. Its one or the other. I
                  prefer the tubers.

                  The tops can be eaten as a salad or cooked as a
                  vegetable garnish in soup or mixed with other recipes.

                  Its nutritious and high in Vitamin A & C.

                  Sergio