sweet potatoes

  • Elinor Jean
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
      Hi, I've got two questions:

      Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem artichokes,
      yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the ground
      without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?

      Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to grow
      sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting them now,
      but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The ones I
      grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing but not
      nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect if I
      just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will rot. Or if
      there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of seed (e.g.
      by mail order?).

      Thanks, Eli.
    • benonthenet
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
        Elinor,

        You have do dig the root vegetables out to get them. Or soften the
        ground with water sufficiently so that you can pull up them easily.

        Sweet potatoes are a tropical/subtropical crop. They need a pretty
        long warm growing season to produce (about 9 months in my
        experience). You can get more warmth to the vines if you need to by
        planting the sweet potatoes up against rocks, bricks, or
        cinderblock. You might even surround the plants with rocks to trap
        heat.

        If you put sweet potatoes with some greening eyes in the ground,
        they will sprout. Once they are going and have begun to root along
        the nodes of the vine, periodically trim the vines back. This sends
        more energy towards tuber production instead of vine production.

        Near the end of the season, take some cuttings of the vines and put
        them in some compost to root them. If you do this every year, you'll
        never need to start new tubers. Just plant out the rooted cuttings
        when it warms up outside.

        Benjamin
        Long Beach, CA

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Elinor Jean <u3288545@a...>
        wrote:
        > Hi, I've got two questions:
        >
        > Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem
        artichokes,
        > yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the
        ground
        > without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?
        >
        > Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to
        grow
        > sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting
        them now,
        > but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The
        ones I
        > grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing
        but not
        > nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect
        if I
        > just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will
        rot. Or if
        > there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of
        seed (e.g.
        > by mail order?).
        >
        > Thanks, Eli.
      • Judy Hayes
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
          I plant mine above ground in a chicken wire cage... then at the end of
          season just remove the chicken wire and they fall out... its a no dig
          method.. but so easy too
          > You have do dig the root vegetables out to get them. Or soften the
          > ground with water sufficiently so that you can pull up them easily.
          >
          > Sweet potatoes are a tropical/subtropical crop. They need a pretty
          > long warm growing season to produce (about 9 months in my
          > experience). You can get more warmth to the vines if you need to by
          > planting the sweet potatoes up against rocks, bricks, or
          > cinderblock. You might even surround the plants with rocks to trap
          > heat.
          >
          > If you put sweet potatoes with some greening eyes in the ground,
          > they will sprout. Once they are going and have begun to root along
          > the nodes of the vine, periodically trim the vines back. This sends
          > more energy towards tuber production instead of vine production.
          >
          > Near the end of the season, take some cuttings of the vines and put
          > them in some compost to root them. If you do this every year, you'll
          > never need to start new tubers. Just plant out the rooted cuttings
          > when it warms up outside.
          >
          > Benjamin
          > Long Beach, CA
          >
          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Elinor Jean <u3288545@a...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi, I've got two questions:
          > >
          > > Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem
          > artichokes,
          > > yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the
          > ground
          > > without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?
          > >
          > > Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to
          > grow
          > > sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting
          > them now,
          > > but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The
          > ones I
          > > grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing
          > but not
          > > nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect
          > if I
          > > just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will
          > rot. Or if
          > > there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of
          > seed (e.g.
          > > by mail order?).
          > >
          > > Thanks, Eli.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • William Stocker
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
              William,

              I like that!

              My dream is to have my own plot that I completely have control over
              so that I can cocreate a natural garden without having to worry
              about others being concerned about my weeds and fallow ground.

              Natural gardening is more than an activity. It presents a relaxed
              wholistic perspective on life if one is willing to see it.

              Benjamin
              Long Beach, CA

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "William Stocker"
              <stoc85@s...> wrote:

> [...]
            • francisco cotejo
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
                Dear Elinor,

                You have to dig if you plant those root crops in the soil.However, if you have wood shavings, rice hull, etc., on top of your soil as your growing medium, pulling is enough.

                Francisco

                Elinor Jean <u3288545@...> wrote:
                Hi, I've got two questions:

                Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem artichokes,
                yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the ground
                without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?

                Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to grow
                sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting them now,
                but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The ones I
                grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing but not
                nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect if I
                just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will rot. Or if
                there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of seed (e.g.
                by mail order?).

                Thanks, Eli.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296ueiei/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097111559/A=2380023/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=124gll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10720 ";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_yahoo_em4_100104.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296ueiei/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097111559/A=2380023/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=124gll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10720 ";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_em4_100104.jpg";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

              • Sean Phelan
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                  William,

                  > I see many of us are starting "natural gardens" this year. I feel
                  that
                  > I must say to you, If you must have Sweet Potatoes, buy them at Safeway
                  for
                  > two or three years. Your ground is not ready for specialty crops.

                  I could not disagree more. Sweet Potatoes are the absolute easiest thing I
                  can grow, and they have worked wonders for my property so far.

                  What's the catch? I live in Florida.

                  I assume the short growing season up north make sweet potatoes a lot of
                  work, but down here, I just put it in the ground and it becomes a very
                  agressive groundcover, which eventually gives me something to eat. They
                  survive year-round in the ground, since we don't get any real frosts.

                  I might call them weeds if I hadn't planted them deliberately!

                  As a ground cover, it smothers out most other weeds (except bitter melon and
                  a specific seeding grass variety), and is easy to mow back if it escapes the
                  borders you'd like to keep it in (I garden a small yard, so borders are
                  still important)

                  Anyhow, to conclude, advice is based on perspective, and perspective in
                  gardening is largely defined by where you live. My weed is someone else's
                  specialty crop. But ask me to grow an apple tree? Not much chance.

                  Happy gardening!
                  Sp

                  Sean Phelan
                  Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense
                  http://www.sqcn.com

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > Sweet potatoes are a tropical/subtropical crop. They need a pretty
                  > > long warm growing season to produce (about 9 months in my
                  > > experience). You can get more warmth to the vines if you need to by
                  > > planting the sweet potatoes up against rocks, bricks, or
                  > > cinderblock. You might even surround the plants with rocks to trap
                  > > heat.
                  > >
                  > > If you put sweet potatoes with some greening eyes in the ground,
                  > > they will sprout. Once they are going and have begun to root along
                  > > the nodes of the vine, periodically trim the vines back. This sends
                  > > more energy towards tuber production instead of vine production.
                  > >
                  > > Near the end of the season, take some cuttings of the vines and put
                  > > them in some compost to root them. If you do this every year, you'll
                  > > never need to start new tubers. Just plant out the rooted cuttings

                • Sergio Montinola
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                    Dear Sean,

                    In our tropical country, sweet potato is a prime
                    commodity. It is nutritius too. We eat all parts of
                    the plant all year round. Sweet potato frys is far
                    supperior to French Potato frys.

                    Regards,
                    Sergio Montinola
                    Philippines

                    Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                    www.yahoo.com
                  • Sean Phelan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                      Sergio,

                      > In our tropical country, sweet potato is a prime
                      > commodity. It is nutritius too. We eat all parts of
                      > the plant all year round.

                      All parts? Including the greens?

                      Could you explain to me how the greens are eaten? I've heard about people
                      doing that, but was looking for some first-hand knowledge.

                      Thanks!
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                        Dear Sean,

                        The problem of eating sweet potato tops is that the
                        tubers will not develop. Its one or the other. I
                        prefer the tubers.

                        The tops can be eaten as a salad or cooked as a
                        vegetable garnish in soup or mixed with other recipes.

                        Its nutritious and high in Vitamin A & C.

                        Sergio