Smothering Bermuda Grass...How?

  • benonthenet
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
      It's preparation time for my Southern California arid natural
      garden. I am still in my first year with this garden. When I took
      over this community garden plot it was mostly covered in bermuda
      grass which I had to begin to dig out just to get started...the
      ground was hard and the root mat of the grass was in some places a
      foot deep.

      Someone told me that macuna ssp. (velvet bean) will smother bermuda
      grass. Is there anything else I can use to smother and control the
      bermuda grass.

      Benjamin
      Long Beach, CA
    • francisco cotejo
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
        Dear Benjamen,

        If your problem happens in my place, I will dump rice hull / wood shavings, open a planting hole, place compost / top soil and direct seed or plant whatever you want.

        Francisco

        benonthenet <benonthenet@...> wrote:

        It's preparation time for my Southern California arid natural
        garden. I am still in my first year with this garden. When I took
        over this community garden plot it was mostly covered in bermuda
        grass which I had to begin to dig out just to get started...the
        ground was hard and the root mat of the grass was in some places a
        foot deep.

        Someone told me that macuna ssp. (velvet bean) will smother bermuda
        grass. Is there anything else I can use to smother and control the
        bermuda grass.

        Benjamin
        Long Beach, CA

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129km575q/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097079002/A=2380024/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=124u69elg/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10718";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_yahoo_em_100104.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129km575q/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097079002/A=2380024/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=124u69elg/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10718";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_yahoo_100104.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

      • Golden Love
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
          I use cardboard. I also solarized my backyard with black plastic for 4 plus
          months, (fried Bermuda an Kikuyu grass).

          Golden Love

          Love's Gardens

          Creating and Maintaining Sustainable Urban Landscapes

          California Licensed Contractor C27 363672

          127 National St.

          Santa Cruz, CA 95060

          Phone (831) 471-9100

          Fax ( 831) 471-9200

          goldenlove@...

          _____

          It's preparation time for my Southern California arid natural
          garden. I am still in my first year with this garden. When I took
          over this community garden plot it was mostly covered in bermuda
          grass which I had to begin to dig out just to get started...the
          ground was hard and the root mat of the grass was in some places a
          foot deep.

          Someone told me that macuna ssp. (velvet bean) will smother bermuda
          grass. Is there anything else I can use to smother and control the
          bermuda grass.

          Benjamin
          Long Beach, CA

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129km575q/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=gr
          oups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097079002/A=2380089/R=0/SIG=12adlsi8e/*http:/mortg
          ages.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10716>

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129km575q/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=gr
          oups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097079002/A=2380089/R=1/SIG=12adlsi8e/*http:/mortg
          ages.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10716>

          Select Your State: Alabama Alaska Arkansas Arizona California Colorado
          Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana
          Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan
          Minnesota Missippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New
          Mexico New Jersey New York North Carolina North Dakota Oklahoma Ohio
          Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee
          Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington Washington D.C. West Virginia
          Wisconsin Wyoming
          <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/x_100104.gif>
          Purchase Refinance
          <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/x_100104.gif>

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129km575q/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=gr
          oups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097079002/A=2380089/R=3/SIG=12adlsi8e/*http:/mortg
          ages.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10716>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2380089/rand=876867104>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • benonthenet
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
            <goldenlove@c...> wrote:
            > I use cardboard. I also solarized my backyard with black plastic
            for 4 plus
            > months, (fried Bermuda an Kikuyu grass).

            Golden Love -

            That's not an option for me since this my garden is in a community
            garden. Black plastic covering the ground for that long would not be
            allowed. Besides, solarizing the ground detroys all life in the
            topsoil. I don't want to do that because I would loose valuable
            growing time. So far I've been using the garden plot to test drought
            tolerance of some edibles. Now I'm ready to put it space into high
            productivity.

            Bermuda is a sun lover and will die back under dense shade. So, I
            want to keep the ground densly covered with a cover crop that will
            outcompete it for long enough to keep it at bay.

            I'll plant sweet potatoes on the edge that the grass is invading
            from to keep the grass from coming in. But in the middle I have to
            use a different strategy. I need to be able to walk on
            (periodically) the cove crop to get to other things. Walking on
            sweet potatoes wouldn't be a good idea. I'm thinking of chickpeas
            and tall fava beans to shade out the grass. I can walk through them
            well enough.

            During the warm season pumpkins, squash, new zealand spinach and
            lablab beans will smother out the grass.

            So, I guess what I'm looking for after all this rambling is
            something that will smother out the bermuda grass during the cool
            (but rainy season).

            Thanks to everyone for your advise.
            Benjamin
          • Judy Hayes
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
              I cant tell you the results yet.. but I just scattered clover seed to try to
              drown out the bermuda, I know that on a smaller scale I tried basil this
              summer and it almost completly killed out the bermuda. One thing I noticed
              though is the bermuda then trys growing loooong little blades of grass to
              peep out and get some sun. So you have to be diligant on pulling those...
              and on a large scale I am not sure I will be able to keep up.

              Judy Lynn
              > > I use cardboard. I also solarized my backyard with black plastic
              > for 4 plus
              > > months, (fried Bermuda an Kikuyu grass).
              >
              > Golden Love -
              >
              > That's not an option for me since this my garden is in a community
              > garden. Black plastic covering the ground for that long would not be
              > allowed. Besides, solarizing the ground detroys all life in the
              > topsoil. I don't want to do that because I would loose valuable
              > growing time. So far I've been using the garden plot to test drought
              > tolerance of some edibles. Now I'm ready to put it space into high
              > productivity.
              >
              > Bermuda is a sun lover and will die back under dense shade. So, I
              > want to keep the ground densly covered with a cover crop that will
              > outcompete it for long enough to keep it at bay.
              >
              > I'll plant sweet potatoes on the edge that the grass is invading
              > from to keep the grass from coming in. But in the middle I have to
              > use a different strategy. I need to be able to walk on
              > (periodically) the cove crop to get to other things. Walking on
              > sweet potatoes wouldn't be a good idea. I'm thinking of chickpeas
              > and tall fava beans to shade out the grass. I can walk through them
              > well enough.
              >
              > During the warm season pumpkins, squash, new zealand spinach and
              > lablab beans will smother out the grass.
              >
              > So, I guess what I'm looking for after all this rambling is
              > something that will smother out the bermuda grass during the cool
              > (but rainy season).
              >
              > Thanks to everyone for your advise.
              > Benjamin
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Elinor Jean
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
                Hi, I've got two questions:

                Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem artichokes,
                yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the ground
                without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?

                Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to grow
                sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting them now,
                but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The ones I
                grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing but not
                nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect if I
                just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will rot. Or if
                there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of seed (e.g.
                by mail order?).

                Thanks, Eli.
              • benonthenet
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Elinor,

                  You have do dig the root vegetables out to get them. Or soften the
                  ground with water sufficiently so that you can pull up them easily.

                  Sweet potatoes are a tropical/subtropical crop. They need a pretty
                  long warm growing season to produce (about 9 months in my
                  experience). You can get more warmth to the vines if you need to by
                  planting the sweet potatoes up against rocks, bricks, or
                  cinderblock. You might even surround the plants with rocks to trap
                  heat.

                  If you put sweet potatoes with some greening eyes in the ground,
                  they will sprout. Once they are going and have begun to root along
                  the nodes of the vine, periodically trim the vines back. This sends
                  more energy towards tuber production instead of vine production.

                  Near the end of the season, take some cuttings of the vines and put
                  them in some compost to root them. If you do this every year, you'll
                  never need to start new tubers. Just plant out the rooted cuttings
                  when it warms up outside.

                  Benjamin
                  Long Beach, CA

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Elinor Jean <u3288545@a...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi, I've got two questions:
                  >
                  > Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem
                  artichokes,
                  > yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the
                  ground
                  > without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?
                  >
                  > Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to
                  grow
                  > sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting
                  them now,
                  > but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The
                  ones I
                  > grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing
                  but not
                  > nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect
                  if I
                  > just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will
                  rot. Or if
                  > there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of
                  seed (e.g.
                  > by mail order?).
                  >
                  > Thanks, Eli.
                • Judy Hayes
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
                    I plant mine above ground in a chicken wire cage... then at the end of
                    season just remove the chicken wire and they fall out... its a no dig
                    method.. but so easy too
                    > You have do dig the root vegetables out to get them. Or soften the
                    > ground with water sufficiently so that you can pull up them easily.
                    >
                    > Sweet potatoes are a tropical/subtropical crop. They need a pretty
                    > long warm growing season to produce (about 9 months in my
                    > experience). You can get more warmth to the vines if you need to by
                    > planting the sweet potatoes up against rocks, bricks, or
                    > cinderblock. You might even surround the plants with rocks to trap
                    > heat.
                    >
                    > If you put sweet potatoes with some greening eyes in the ground,
                    > they will sprout. Once they are going and have begun to root along
                    > the nodes of the vine, periodically trim the vines back. This sends
                    > more energy towards tuber production instead of vine production.
                    >
                    > Near the end of the season, take some cuttings of the vines and put
                    > them in some compost to root them. If you do this every year, you'll
                    > never need to start new tubers. Just plant out the rooted cuttings
                    > when it warms up outside.
                    >
                    > Benjamin
                    > Long Beach, CA
                    >
                    > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Elinor Jean <u3288545@a...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Hi, I've got two questions:
                    > >
                    > > Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem
                    > artichokes,
                    > > yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the
                    > ground
                    > > without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?
                    > >
                    > > Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to
                    > grow
                    > > sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting
                    > them now,
                    > > but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The
                    > ones I
                    > > grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing
                    > but not
                    > > nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect
                    > if I
                    > > just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will
                    > rot. Or if
                    > > there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of
                    > seed (e.g.
                    > > by mail order?).
                    > >
                    > > Thanks, Eli.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • William Stocker
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
                        William,

                        I like that!

                        My dream is to have my own plot that I completely have control over
                        so that I can cocreate a natural garden without having to worry
                        about others being concerned about my weeds and fallow ground.

                        Natural gardening is more than an activity. It presents a relaxed
                        wholistic perspective on life if one is willing to see it.

                        Benjamin
                        Long Beach, CA

                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "William Stocker"
                        <stoc85@s...> wrote:

> [...]
                      • francisco cotejo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
                          Dear Elinor,

                          You have to dig if you plant those root crops in the soil.However, if you have wood shavings, rice hull, etc., on top of your soil as your growing medium, pulling is enough.

                          Francisco

                          Elinor Jean <u3288545@...> wrote:
                          Hi, I've got two questions:

                          Firstly: How does Fukuoka deal with root vegetables (jerusalem artichokes,
                          yacon, potatoes, sweet potato)? How do you get them out of the ground
                          without digging? Or are you allowed to dig?

                          Secondly: I live in quite a cold area, but I would really like to grow
                          sweet potatoes. The problem is that I really need to be starting them now,
                          but you don't find them shooting in the shops until january. The ones I
                          grew from jan last year went everywhere and did some tuber growing but not
                          nearly enough. Is there any way of making a tuber shoot? I suspect if I
                          just put it in the ground it will still be too cold and it will rot. Or if
                          there are any Australians out there, is there a good source of seed (e.g.
                          by mail order?).

                          Thanks, Eli.

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                          var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296ueiei/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097111559/A=2380023/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=124gll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10720 ";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_yahoo_em4_100104.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296ueiei/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D=groups/S=1705041947:HM/EXP=1097111559/A=2380023/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=124gll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10720 ";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_em4_100104.jpg";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                        • Sean Phelan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                            William,

                            > I see many of us are starting "natural gardens" this year. I feel
                            that
                            > I must say to you, If you must have Sweet Potatoes, buy them at Safeway
                            for
                            > two or three years. Your ground is not ready for specialty crops.

                            I could not disagree more. Sweet Potatoes are the absolute easiest thing I
                            can grow, and they have worked wonders for my property so far.

                            What's the catch? I live in Florida.

                            I assume the short growing season up north make sweet potatoes a lot of
                            work, but down here, I just put it in the ground and it becomes a very
                            agressive groundcover, which eventually gives me something to eat. They
                            survive year-round in the ground, since we don't get any real frosts.

                            I might call them weeds if I hadn't planted them deliberately!

                            As a ground cover, it smothers out most other weeds (except bitter melon and
                            a specific seeding grass variety), and is easy to mow back if it escapes the
                            borders you'd like to keep it in (I garden a small yard, so borders are
                            still important)

                            Anyhow, to conclude, advice is based on perspective, and perspective in
                            gardening is largely defined by where you live. My weed is someone else's
                            specialty crop. But ask me to grow an apple tree? Not much chance.

                            Happy gardening!
                            Sp

                            Sean Phelan
                            Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense
                            http://www.sqcn.com

> [...]
                            > >
                            > > Sweet potatoes are a tropical/subtropical crop. They need a pretty
                            > > long warm growing season to produce (about 9 months in my
                            > > experience). You can get more warmth to the vines if you need to by
                            > > planting the sweet potatoes up against rocks, bricks, or
                            > > cinderblock. You might even surround the plants with rocks to trap
                            > > heat.
                            > >
                            > > If you put sweet potatoes with some greening eyes in the ground,
                            > > they will sprout. Once they are going and have begun to root along
                            > > the nodes of the vine, periodically trim the vines back. This sends
                            > > more energy towards tuber production instead of vine production.
                            > >
                            > > Near the end of the season, take some cuttings of the vines and put
                            > > them in some compost to root them. If you do this every year, you'll
                            > > never need to start new tubers. Just plant out the rooted cuttings

                          • Sergio Montinola
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                              Dear Sean,

                              In our tropical country, sweet potato is a prime
                              commodity. It is nutritius too. We eat all parts of
                              the plant all year round. Sweet potato frys is far
                              supperior to French Potato frys.

                              Regards,
                              Sergio Montinola
                              Philippines

                              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                              www.yahoo.com
                            • Sean Phelan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                                Sergio,

                                > In our tropical country, sweet potato is a prime
                                > commodity. It is nutritius too. We eat all parts of
                                > the plant all year round.

                                All parts? Including the greens?

                                Could you explain to me how the greens are eaten? I've heard about people
                                doing that, but was looking for some first-hand knowledge.

                                Thanks!
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                                  Dear Sean,

                                  The problem of eating sweet potato tops is that the
                                  tubers will not develop. Its one or the other. I
                                  prefer the tubers.

                                  The tops can be eaten as a salad or cooked as a
                                  vegetable garnish in soup or mixed with other recipes.

                                  Its nutritious and high in Vitamin A & C.

                                  Sergio