Petite presentation

  • katrika@altern.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
      Ok well,
      Hello i'm r�mi, i suscribed to this list one year ago, to get contact in natural farming mouvement(?), so i read some message since one year but i'never participate so much.
      So what to say?
      i stay in france; south east dep of Alpes de hautes provence, 600m alt, with a growing period from 15 may (last freez) to now first freez!
      Less water than last year, average60% and as you now last year was not the best.
      The source still not flowing and rain do not come.
      I'm here since ten month and we decide to make a garden on this land uncultivated since 5 year, just horses, goats and
      medicago sp,so we done three garden, one with watering, 2 without one more conventional two more experimentalo permaculturo naturalo dry growing.
      So in my own one, i got tomatos (black prince,barbaniaka,t des andes and calabraise) and cucurbita max and mosc and vicia faba, and potatoe, sun flower, topinambour(heliantus tuberosus), but no brinjal no physalis.
      those plant got transplanted from yaourth pot to earth, without watering at all, in a hole in soil with littl cowdung compst, and a big straw mulch.
      sometime those tiny tomtoe pln spend one month without moving just trying to survive, nd it done ( less than 20%of death on tomtoe).
      one goat invasion killed many of my sunflower, herivore stay my direct competitor, even if i m not fully veg.
      I trow seed ball mix in may and june with a straw mulch, and i throw another mix last week mostly solanaceae.
      I let the tomatoe die from themselve even if it's frozing.

      So one question, do you think that among the seeds i can harvest (tomatoe, cucubitaceae,sunflower), some could be more convenient for dry condition, even after just one season?
      another do you throw seed ball of solanaceae before or after winter?
      Thanks
      R�mi.
    • lucia@lrw.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
        hi all - I have a dumb question. where do you get red clay from to make
        seed balls?

        Lucia
      • Beatrice Gilboa
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2004
          Bienvenu Rémi,

          >> So one question, do you think that among the seeds i can harvest
          (tomatoe, cucubitaceae,sunflower), some could be more convenient for dry
          condition, even after just one season?

          - You could better refer to your neibourghood to fine local adapted seeds.
          Or browsing on the Kokopelli catalogue to find seed wich originate from a
          similar wether than yours.

          >> another do you throw seed ball of solanaceae before or after winter?

          - In your case and wether, I would have done it after the winter (to avoid
          that the ball decompose and offer the seeds whithout protection to a
          possible rotting process with wetness and freezing situation but before the
          dry season to permit the clay to wet and give the seed the opportunity to
          prout on its time...

          Good luck for your project.
          (I lived before in the northen part of th french Alpes)

          Beatrice
          Udim, Israel