Re: [fukuoka_farming] plastic mulch

  • Andi Hazelwood
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2004
      Shivani, I haven't been able to put any organic gardening principles
      into practice yet, but I have been doing a great deal of reading. This
      is what I've read continuously regarding using plastic- it does indeed
      kill weeds and any other unwanted vegetation, but it also kills soil
      and any beneficial bugs in it. Most of the sources I've been reading
      suggest using cardboard or newspaper (not the slick colored sections)
      covered with natural mulch (leaves, bark, wood chips, whatever)
      instead of plastic. The paper and cardboard can do the same job as the
      plastic but they'll break down and along with the mulch will actually
      help feed the soil instead of kill it.
      Hope that helps!

      Andi