Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: onion weed

  • Michael Worham
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2004
      Hello All,

      I don't know if this would be an option, or whether
      your land could support the weight of a tractor or
      team of horses, but have you considered mowing the
      area, then using a disc harrow? This would incorporate
      the onionweed into the surface soil layer without
      tilling it. If you applied a layer of alfalfa mulch as
      Deb suggests, then this would encourage an even faster
      degradation of the onionweed organic material and
      encourage soil life, making it ready to plant-up in
      just a few weeks.

      I know that this is becoming a more popular method of
      preparing an area for planting, as as previously
      mentioned there is no tillage. It would still be
      susceptible to soil compaction however, but is a
      viable alternative to using black plastic for the
      reasons that Deb points out below.

      All the best,
      Michael

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush