Fwd: Organic Farm for Lease

  • Malika
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2004
      This is a forwarded message
      Date: Friday, August 06, 2004, 2:30:52 AM
      Subject: Organic Farm for Lease

      ORGANIC FARM FOR LEASE

      Lease a 100-acre organic farm for $1 per year! Yes, that's $1 per
      year, but only for an experienced organic farmer to work this land.
      The land is on an alluvial plain of the Little Blanco River on RR 32,
      about eight miles southeast of Blanco, Texas, USA. It has two wells
      on it, and a three-bedroom house. The land is currently fallow, and
      we would like to see it used for a good purpose. To find out more,
      please contact Sid Dubose at +1 (512) 288-0638.

      Please feel free to forward this to interested persons or email lists.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Sergio Montinola
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2004
        Dear Sir,

        I am sorry I cannot take you up on your generous
        offer. I live in the Philippines.

        But I will try to contact my fellow countrymen who now
        reside in Texas if they will be interested.

        Thanks,

        Sergio J. Montinola
        Organic Farmer

        --- Malika <hmcieremans@...> wrote:

        > This is a forwarded message
        > Date: Friday, August 06, 2004, 2:30:52 AM
        > Subject: Organic Farm for Lease
        >
        > ===8<==============Original message
        > text===============
        >
        > ORGANIC FARM FOR LEASE
        >
        > Lease a 100-acre organic farm for $1 per year! Yes,
        > that's $1 per
        > year, but only for an experienced organic farmer to
        > work this land.
        > The land is on an alluvial plain of the Little
        > Blanco River on RR 32,
        > about eight miles southeast of Blanco, Texas, USA.
        > It has two wells
        > on it, and a three-bedroom house. The land is
        > currently fallow, and
        > we would like to see it used for a good purpose. To
        > find out more,
        > please contact Sid Dubose at +1 (512) 288-0638.
        >
        > Please feel free to forward this to interested
        > persons or email lists.

        > ===8<===========End of original message
        > text===========

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Malika

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2004
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2004
              Dear Willaim,

              I am from the Philippines. We are adapting
              Permaculture in addition to Fukuoka's experience.

              Hope you are successful too.

              Regards,
              Sergio J. Montinola

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 22, 2004
                Sergio Montinola wrote:
                > Dear Willaim,
                >
                > I am from the Philippines. We are adapting
                > Permaculture in addition to Fukuoka's experience.
                >
                > Hope you are successful too.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Sergio J. Montinola

                There is a permaculture mailing list with about 450 members.
                If you're interested in subscribing go to this location:

                L.F.London
                lfl@...
                http://market-farming.com
                http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech
              • Allan Balliett
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 5, 2006
                  Does anyone have access to a transcript of this presentation? It
                  must have occurred around 2001. Thanks -Allan igg@...

                  Organic farming need of the hour: Fukuoka
                  NEW DELHI, Oct 6: The world renowned author of "one straw
                  revolution", Masanobu Fukuoka has called for a world wide effort to
                  popularise organic farming so that harmony with nature is maintained.
                  Delivering the third albert howard memorial lecture on "the greatest
                  mistakes of mankind" here on Wednesday, Fukuoka said the land is
                  losing its fertility due to the extensive use of chemical fertilisers
                  and genetically-modified seeds land all over the world.
                  "Where ever I have gone to study agricultural patterns, the biggest
                  threat to farmers is from chemical fertilisers and genetically
                  modified seeds which can degenerate the land in the long -run," he
                  said.
                  "Already 40-45 per cent of the total agricultural production in the
                  world is by genetically-modified seeds which can spell doom for
                  agriculture," he observed.
                  In Japan, he said, 40 years ago one straw produced 100 grains while
                  today due to the so-called chemical farming or mechanised farming
                  that yield has gone down to just 70-80 grains in one straw.
                  Fukuoka, whose book "one straw revolution" is revered by many as
                  being one of the most authentic books on organic farming said the
                  book, which he had written at the age of only 25 was meant to achieve
                  the objective of creating awareness among the farming community on
                  the threats they face from big multinationals companies in the years
                  to come, has failed to achieve its goal.
                  "My book was a foolish idea because I never realised that farmers too
                  will take so many years to realise the ill effects of using excessive
                  fertisers and genetically-modified seeds," he said.
                  Terming India's growth in agriculture as a journey with numerous
                  pitfalls, Fukuoka said in all these years india may have become
                  self-sufficient in agriculture and grown in the field of information
                  technology but it has lost the wisdom of the great leaders and
                  thinkers like Mahatma Gandhi and Gautam Buddha.
                  "Information Technology is in fact 'intellectual profit' whose sole
                  aim is to generate wealth and earn profit without caring for the
                  environment as well as for the people," he said.
                  He, however, was full of praise for the increase in awareness level
                  about environmental issues in India.
                  "Indians have shown that awareness about one's environment can really
                  make a difference in the way we think and also in the way we act," he
                  said. Fukuoka whose contribution to agriculture is no less than that
                  of any scientist, also revealed to the Indian farmers his
                  self-developed variety of rice named after him,"Fukuoka rice". The
                  rice which can give a yield two times more than the best genetically
                  modified rice has been prepared by natural breeding and use of
                  organic materials.
                  "I have experimented with sowing this rice variety in the coldest
                  places all over the world and there has been no difference in their
                  yield, whereas no other crop variety, even the best
                  genetically-modified ones can claim that it can grow in any kind of
                  climate," he said.
                  Fukuoka added his rice variety which was developed some 25 years ago
                  was kept away from the world because he never wanted anyone else
                  other than the poor farmers to know about his discovery.
                  "In southern India, this rice can give a yield three times more than
                  the present varieties, which can go a long way in solving the food
                  problems of this country," Fukuoka said.
                  He called upon farmers in India to take full advantage of his rice
                  variety so that they can earn more without harming the environment.
                  Environment Minister of Ethiopia, Dr Tewolde Egziaber, who chaired
                  the lecture, said the recently held World Summit on Sustainable
                  Development (WSSD) had given something to the pro-environment lobby
                  as it has managed to delete clauses which would have given precedence
                  to wto laws over local environmental laws.
                  Tewolde, who was the chief negotiator for African nations in WSSD
                  said, "though we have an uphill task in our hand, because we have
                  started late, but slowly this realisation is dawning upon the trade
                  organisations that environmental issues cannot be skirted for long."
                  He regretted that United Nations has not been forthcoming in
                  supporting the cause of the environmentalists.
                  Noted environmentalists from India, Dr Vandana Shiva, who organised
                  the lecture announced the Gandhi award for contribution to
                  preservation of the environment.
                  Activist Pushpa Bhargava and Khadi and Village Industries Corporation
                  have won the award this year for promotion of nature friendly
                  techniques of agriculture. (UNI)
                • Allan Balliett
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 9, 2006
                    Someone help me here, if you can. Is my request really that obscure?
                    I'd think that everyone would know about this lecture or be looking
                    for it. This is the reason he went to India a few years back. Thanks
                    for your thoughts. -Allan

                  • Royal A. Purdy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 9, 2006
                      Allan,

                      Check with "Vital Speeches of the Day" (www.votd.com) They may be able
                      to help you. They may or may not have it on file, but if you email
                      them your request they may be able to help find it.

                      Good luck. Be safe. Sincerely,

                      Royal Purdy

                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Allan Balliett <igg@...> wrote:

                      > Someone help me here, if you can. Is my request really that obscure?
                      > I'd think that everyone would know about this lecture or be looking
                      > for it. This is the reason he went to India a few years back. Thanks
                      > for your thoughts. -Allan

                    • rajutitus lal
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 11, 2006
                        Dear friend,
                        We are practising and preaching natural way of farming since about two decades.I met
                        fukuoka two times in India ,first when he was invited by govt. of india to present paper
                        in science congress.At that time he also visited our farm. We spant 3days with him.Second time we met him in Verdha (Gandhi ashram).In 1988 january when he visited our farm.He gave no one to our farm in the over all those farms who he visited in his world tour.We never read or heard from him in the favour of any thing about Organic way of Farming.In Verdha (Gandhi ashram) he told that organic way of farming is also a scientific way of farming and is not sustainable at all because of Tilling.
                        In India so many N.G.O."s are getting fund to promote organic wayof farming.They are mixing Natural in to organic farming and using fukuoka"s name this is not good .We are very humbly want say that we are not against the theory of organic farming.If people wants to use fukuokas name with any method they must stop tilling.
                        Now a days zero tillage agriculture is spreading very fast in India.Even
                        Indian scientific reaserch institute is promoting zero Tillage it means farmers are comming close to nature.More than 2o thousnds hactare land in wheat is under zero Tillage agricultuer in India.Tilling is very harmful to land ,although farmers those using this method they are using zero tillage seed drill and chemical ferteliser .They are saying that they are reducing chemicals because due to zero tillage the fertelity and water holding capacity of the field is improving.Now they are not burning and removing straws from thier field.According to our experiance there is no need of any fertelizer in the zero tillage system of agricultuer and no use of insecticide and pesticide.
                        Tilling is killing .The demand of fertelizers,weedicites,insecticides/pesticides is only
                        in dying fields.This is wrong idia that instead of inorganic ,use of organics can solve this problem.If we stop tilling we can easily get out of so many things.
                        We found lot of problems in understanding what fukuoka wants to say due to wrong
                        translation but luckeily we got translation direct japani to Hindi.I do not know in what
                        interest you are demanding copy of this speach.I personally feels that this speech was used in some personal interest because in this speech there is not a single word about Tilling. Thanks-Raju_(I am not good in English)

                        Allan Balliett <igg@...> wrote:
[...]

                        Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

                      • Allan Balliett
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 11, 2006
                          > interest you are demanding copy of this speach.I personally feels
                          >that this speech was used in some personal interest because in this
                          >speech there is not a single word about Tilling. Thanks-Raju_(I am
                          >not good in English)

                          Raju - Thanks for your good and illuminating post. I am asking for
                          the Albert Howard lecture because I want to know what Mr Fukuoka's
                          positions are in this millenium and I am very concerned as to why
                          this presentation seems to have 'disappeared.'

                          Thanks again for sharing your experience.

                          To Raju and anyone: how do you handle a commercial annual vegetable
                          farm no-till?

                          -Allan Balliett
                          West Virginia
                          USA