Re: to dig or not to dig

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 11 4:23 PM
      I would suggest you read Faulkner's "Plowman's Folly" online at
      http://www.soilandhealth.org He answers some of this there. He
      speaks of a tree growing on solid rock, for instance.

      Gloria
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Calin A. Radulescu"
      <crandrei@y...> wrote:

      > how about in a place where there is no topsoil at all
      > ? the spot i intend to garden is in the Florida
      > Panhandle , the soil is read loam covered with a few
      > inches of sand . there are pretty big longleaf pines
      > growing naturally some smaller oak and saw palmetto,
      > not too many weeds. this may be common to other sub-
      > tropical areas where lots of heat and humidity make
      > organic matter descompose fast but it doesn't stay
      > in place as hummus. the acidity of the soil doesn't
      > help much either. what would be the better way to
      > go about this ?

      > http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
    • Sergio Montinola
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 12 3:13 PM
        Dear Gloria,

        Try to read, "No dig, no weed Gardening" by Raymond P.
        Poincelot.

        Regards,
        Sergio J. Montinola
        Philippines