Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: starting w/out topsoil

  • Sergio Montinola
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
      There is a book entitled "No dig, No weed Gardening"
      by Raymond P. Poincelot.

      Serge Montinola
      Philippines

      --- benonthenet <benonthenet@...> wrote:

      > Shivani,
      >
      > > Benjamin, how deep did your friend pile the soil
      > on the concrete?
      >
      > The soil is about two feet deep.
      >
      > > Does the ground freeze in winter where she lives?
      >
      > No ground freeze here in southern California.
      >
      > Benjamin

    • francisco cotejo
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
        Dear Sergio,

        May I see your garden? If yes, where is it specifically located?

        Francisco

        Sergio Montinola <sjmosprey2001@...> wrote:
        Dear Shivani,

        Thanks for telling us of the book "Gardening on
        Pavement, ......

        Its really doable to produce your own soil. I have
        been doing it in my small backyard and helping in
        getting rid of my grass clippings, kitchn waste and
        other organic trash.

        Attach is a picture of my compost drum and my compost
        plot on top of my backyard garden space. I got the
        idea from a book "No dig, No weed Gardening" by
        Raymond P. Poincelot.

        Hope this will help all interested in doing something
        good for the ecology.

        Sergio J. Montinola
        Philippines

        --- SArjuna@... wrote:

        > I see there is a book "Gardening on Pavement,
        > Tables and Hard Surfaces,"
        > by George Schenk.
        >

        > "While some folks will undoubtedly find the idea of
        > gardening on pavement
        > discomfitting, perhaps even profane, proponents like
        > Schenk defend the practice
        > as a "greening" that brings plants more fully into
        > urban and suburban lives."
        >
        > We have accidentally begun to do somsething
        > like this ourselves, after I
        > covered our concrete patio with wood chips because I
        > found it ugly. After a
        > couple of years things began to grow on it! There
        > is really very little
        > "soil" there, just what decomposed from the chips
        > and and a few leaves that spent
        > the winter... No effort was made to produce soil.
        > Yet, plants are there.
        > I can see how adding a few inches of soil to it
        > would greatly extend the
        > range of what could grow there.
        > Shivani

        > removed]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Sergio Montinola
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
          Dear Francisco,

          Call me at no. 750 7949.

          Mo. 4 Saturn St. Bel Air 2 Makati City, Metro Manila,
          Philippines.

          Sergio

          --- francisco cotejo <franciscotejojr88@...>

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail