Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: starting w/out topsoil

  • Sergio Montinola
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6 3:34 PM
      There is a book entitled "No dig, No weed Gardening"
      by Raymond P. Poincelot.

      Serge Montinola
      Philippines

      --- Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6 3:37 PM

        --- benonthenet <benonthenet@...> wrote:

        > Shivani,
        >
        > > Benjamin, how deep did your friend pile the soil
        > on the concrete?
        >
        > The soil is about two feet deep.
        >
        > > Does the ground freeze in winter where she lives?
        >
        > No ground freeze here in southern California.
        >
        > Benjamin

      • francisco cotejo
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6 4:45 PM
          Dear Sergio,

          May I see your garden? If yes, where is it specifically located?

          Francisco

          Sergio Montinola <sjmosprey2001@...> wrote:
          Dear Shivani,

          Thanks for telling us of the book "Gardening on
          Pavement, ......

          Its really doable to produce your own soil. I have
          been doing it in my small backyard and helping in
          getting rid of my grass clippings, kitchn waste and
          other organic trash.

          Attach is a picture of my compost drum and my compost
          plot on top of my backyard garden space. I got the
          idea from a book "No dig, No weed Gardening" by
          Raymond P. Poincelot.

          Hope this will help all interested in doing something
          good for the ecology.

          Sergio J. Montinola
          Philippines

          --- SArjuna@... wrote:

          > I see there is a book "Gardening on Pavement,
          > Tables and Hard Surfaces,"
          > by George Schenk.
          >

          > "While some folks will undoubtedly find the idea of
          > gardening on pavement
          > discomfitting, perhaps even profane, proponents like
          > Schenk defend the practice
          > as a "greening" that brings plants more fully into
          > urban and suburban lives."
          >
          > We have accidentally begun to do somsething
          > like this ourselves, after I
          > covered our concrete patio with wood chips because I
          > found it ugly. After a
          > couple of years things began to grow on it! There
          > is really very little
          > "soil" there, just what decomposed from the chips
          > and and a few leaves that spent
          > the winter... No effort was made to produce soil.
          > Yet, plants are there.
          > I can see how adding a few inches of soil to it
          > would greatly extend the
          > range of what could grow there.
          > Shivani

          > removed]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Sergio Montinola
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7 3:34 PM
            Dear Francisco,

            Call me at no. 750 7949.

            Mo. 4 Saturn St. Bel Air 2 Makati City, Metro Manila,
            Philippines.

            Sergio

            --- francisco cotejo <franciscotejojr88@...>

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail