Re: [fukuoka_farming] starting w/out topsoil

  • SArjuna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
      I see there is a book "Gardening on Pavement, Tables and Hard Surfaces,"
      by George Schenk.

      "While some folks will undoubtedly find the idea of gardening on pavement
      discomfitting, perhaps even profane, proponents like Schenk defend the practice
      as a "greening" that brings plants more fully into urban and suburban lives."

      We have accidentally begun to do somsething like this ourselves, after I
      covered our concrete patio with wood chips because I found it ugly. After a
      couple of years things began to grow on it! There is really very little
      "soil" there, just what decomposed from the chips and and a few leaves that spent
      the winter... No effort was made to produce soil. Yet, plants are there.
      I can see how adding a few inches of soil to it would greatly extend the
      range of what could grow there.
      Shivani

    • benonthenet
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
        > I see there is a book "Gardening on Pavement, Tables and Hard
        > Surfaces,"

        I know someone who has a whole garden that is on concrete. She just
        piled soil on top of her paved backyard. I didn't even know there was
        concrete under there until one day helping her plant a tree. I had to
        bust up the concrete to put the tree in the actual ground. In effect
        she has raised beds on top of the concrete.

        Benjamin
      • SArjuna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
          Benjamin, how deep did your friend pile the soil on the concrete? Does
          the ground freeze in winter where she lives? (Wondering how earthworms
          winter over.)
          Thanks,
          Shivani

        • benonthenet
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
            Shivani,

            > Benjamin, how deep did your friend pile the soil on the concrete?

            The soil is about two feet deep.

            > Does the ground freeze in winter where she lives?

            No ground freeze here in southern California.

            Benjamin
          • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
              > I know someone who has a whole garden that is on concrete. She just
              > piled soil on top of her paved backyard. I didn't even know there was
              > concrete under there until one day helping her plant a tree. I had to
              > bust up the concrete to put the tree in the actual ground. In effect
              > she has raised beds on top of the concrete.

              one of my garden bed is above the sceptic tank with may be 3ocm of soil
              above .not parctical when we have to empty the tank .
              jean-claude
            • Sergio Montinola
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                Dear Shivani,

                Thanks for telling us of the book "Gardening on
                Pavement, ......

                Its really doable to produce your own soil. I have
                been doing it in my small backyard and helping in
                getting rid of my grass clippings, kitchn waste and
                other organic trash.

                Attach is a picture of my compost drum and my compost
                plot on top of my backyard garden space. I got the
                idea from a book "No dig, No weed Gardening" by
                Raymond P. Poincelot.

                Hope this will help all interested in doing something
                good for the ecology.

                Sergio J. Montinola
                Philippines

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                  There is a book entitled "No dig, No weed Gardening"
                  by Raymond P. Poincelot.

                  Serge Montinola
                  Philippines

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004

                    --- benonthenet <benonthenet@...> wrote:

                    > Shivani,
                    >
                    > > Benjamin, how deep did your friend pile the soil
                    > on the concrete?
                    >
                    > The soil is about two feet deep.
                    >
                    > > Does the ground freeze in winter where she lives?
                    >
                    > No ground freeze here in southern California.
                    >
                    > Benjamin

                  • francisco cotejo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                      Dear Sergio,

                      May I see your garden? If yes, where is it specifically located?

                      Francisco

                      --- SArjuna@... wrote:

                      > I see there is a book "Gardening on Pavement,
                      > Tables and Hard Surfaces,"
                      > by George Schenk.
                      >

                      > "While some folks will undoubtedly find the idea of
                      > gardening on pavement
                      > discomfitting, perhaps even profane, proponents like
                      > Schenk defend the practice
                      > as a "greening" that brings plants more fully into
                      > urban and suburban lives."
                      >
                      > We have accidentally begun to do somsething
                      > like this ourselves, after I
                      > covered our concrete patio with wood chips because I
                      > found it ugly. After a
                      > couple of years things began to grow on it! There
                      > is really very little
                      > "soil" there, just what decomposed from the chips
                      > and and a few leaves that spent
                      > the winter... No effort was made to produce soil.
                      > Yet, plants are there.
                      > I can see how adding a few inches of soil to it
                      > would greatly extend the
                      > range of what could grow there.
                      > Shivani

                      > removed]

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    • Sergio Montinola
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
                        Dear Francisco,

                        Call me at no. 750 7949.

                        Mo. 4 Saturn St. Bel Air 2 Makati City, Metro Manila,
                        Philippines.

                        Sergio

                        --- francisco cotejo <franciscotejojr88@...>

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail