Re: [fukuoka_farming] choice of cover/mulch crop

  • SArjuna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2004
      We did not get our whole garden area planted this year, due to
      combination of extremely wet and cold weather and working on changing it to permanent
      raised beds. There is a fair amount of open space remaining that I'd like to
      get some kind of crop going in now that would help break up the packed clay
      soil and also add good nutrients. I'd appeciate ideas about what to grow. I
      live in Wisconsin, USA. We begin to get freezing weather around the end of
      October.
      I've read that rapeseed grows fast, makes lots of nitrogen-rich leaves
      and has deep roots that loosen clay. But if I just cut it off at the surface,
      will it go on growing from the roots that are left? I want to plant
      something that will not do that and crowd out the veggies I plan to plant next
      spring.
      Will appreciate hearing the voices of experience!
      Thanks,
      Shivani