Re: [fukuoka_farming]

  • Michael Worham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29 2:05 AM
      Hello all,

      Some Permaculturalists believe that a "deep rip" with
      a sub-soiler can be useful in heavily compacted soils
      or even hardpans where water penetration is minimal,
      and where even the hardiest weeds will struggle to
      colonise. Is this the same as a chisel plow? Deep
      ripping is still a no-till method, as the sub-soiler
      opens the soil and creates a vertical and horizontal
      plane in the form of an inverted "T", which allows
      water and root penetration. Drawbacks are that this is
      a special tool, and in order ro penetrate such hard
      soils one needs heavy pulling equipment such as a
      tractor or possibly a team of oxen/horses. This could
      impact the soil further, but it has possible
      applications where long wide beds are to be
      implemented afterwards, and where the compaction ruts
      from the tractors tyres can later be used as pathways.

      Has anyone had any experience of this technique, or
      know of a similar method of "opening" the soil without
      tillage? I live in an area in Bavaria, Germany, where
      the soils are clay and pebbles, with a subsoil of hard
      compacted pebbles from glcial outwash, so tillage is
      out of the question. I have noticed that even weeds
      will not grow in areas of compacted surface soil, so
      have had to resort to building several compost heaps
      to get organic material at the surface that can then
      be spread into beds after composting is complete. I'm
      hoping that this method will let the worms do the
      digging in the original soil for me. So far I have had
      reasonable yields with a variety of crops, but suffer
      from blackspot on leaves which apparently indicates
      either a manganese dificiency or poor drainage - I
      suspect the latter.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks for the continuing varied topics!

      Best wishes,
      Michael

      --- Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/bAOolB/TM