Re: [fukuoka_farming] veg and sust

  • bmn@iglou.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2004
      > Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:51:40 -0400 (EDT)
      > Subject: Re: Re: vegetarian or vegan
      >
      > vegans do not eat any animal products at all, including eggs, cheese,
      > dairy, etc. whereas vegetarians do eat animal products as long as it's not
      > their flesh and they don't have to kill the animal, and some include fish
      > in their diet. that's my understanding.

      Pretty much dead-on except for the fish. Vegetarians simply don't eat
      animal flesh...fish being animals, are not included in vegetarianism.
      It has been a fad over the last 3-5 years or so for people to claim to
      be vegetarians while they continue to eat fish, shellfish, etc. While
      these folks have admirably given up the more heavy resource-depleting
      meats, they've really just given up red meats...and maybe birds.

      > I was vegetarien for about two
      > years and found it a wonderful cleansing routine, and vegetarian cuisine
      > is great, the recipes. but in the long run, for long term, maintenance,
      > maturation, and pregnancy, I don't think it's right. after a few years I
      > began to crave meat again, I explored raw foods, and that's how I came to
      > understand the Weston Price approach and the value of traditional food
      > preparation which includes raw dairy and other animal products,

      I've been a vegetarian for 22 years. I've been watching the thread with
      interest. I reply here out of convenience...not necessarily in answer
      to this poster's reply. I feel like everyone makes their own choices
      whether it be out of availability, desire to have less of a resource
      impact, ethical rationale, or fad diets (and I include pretty much all
      of the popular diet regimes here). The wild card is how one practices
      their chosen diet. I have come to the point where I crave certain foods
      (not meats) when I feel like I need them. Like most folks that long
      ago, I unfortunately succumbed to Francis Lamore-Lappe's Diet for a
      Small planet and the now debunked "protein complimentation" issues and
      was miserably planning every single meal and snack for the 1st year or
      two. Thankfully, much of the science caught up with it and protein
      complimentation was dead...or so we thought. All of the dieticians who
      were practicing or educated by folks through that time period still
      cling on to the unfortunate practice. Even Lamore-Lappe has come out in
      print in the last 10 or more years debunking her own system.

      Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent. What I'm really trying to get at,
      is that the spectrum of vegetarians is fairly wide. Vegs...like meat
      eaters, can also be pretty finicky and not have a diverse palate. I've
      known a good number of Vegs fail because they thought they had to eat
      beans all the time. Add to this the fact that everyone metabolizes
      differently, has differing tolerances of some foods, etc, etc...
      It is safe to say that people *can* be healthy within most dietary
      regimes. It is also safe to say that many will not fare well on dietary
      regimes. Whatever the plan, eating a wide variety of foods and getting
      exercise is paramount. I don't think I'm saying anything y'all don't
      already know. I think I just wanted to caution about blanket
      assumptions especially where peoples' diets are concerned.