Re: [fukuoka_farming] chickens

  • SArjuna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2004
      In a message dated 7/21/04 5:51:47 PM, lucia@... writes:

      > Shivani wrote:
      > > ...fence kept most of the chickens in, but not the foxes out, so the field
      > was
      > > dotted with A-frame coops with roots in them that the chickens went into
      > at dusk.
      >
      > Lucia asked:
      > could you describe what you mean by 'roots' ?
      >
      > Guess I should proofread. I meant roosts! Sorry for the mental
      acrobatics you must have done imagining what kind of roots chickens could go into
      in a coop at dusk!
      The floors were a raised (off the ground) tight-weave wire fencing, so
      the poop could fall through, with rows of two by four inch wooden boards set
      on edge just above the floor that the chickens roosted on. (They didn't
      really walk around on the mesh floor.) There were separate compartmentalized
      nesting hutches or boxes for them to lay their eggs in. About 3 nests high and
      wide, if I recall correctly.
      The little A-frame roosting coops were each built on a couple of long
      beams and could be moved around by pulling them with a tractor, like a sledge.
      There were watering troughs here and there that I cleaned and filled
      daily. The chickens scratched up bugs, etc. but we also gave them some grain.
      Shivani

    • Michael Meredith
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2010
        DOG

        Posted by: "Pamela Melcher" dancingcedar@... dancingcedar
        Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:33 am (PDT)

        I need help protecting my plants from the neighbor's chickens.

        They are hurting front yard plants where a fence would not look good.

        There are some long neglected rhododendrons that need help now. I am watering
        and mulching and cutting back ivy.

        My next door neighbor has 3 chickens who roam loose around the neighborhood.

        They are making a mess of our garden.
        * *
        Now that it is dry, they zero in on the watered area around the rhodies,
        digging holes about 4 inches deep directly next to the trunk, thus
        harming the feeder roots.

        They disturb the mulch anywhere I put it, on any plants. They are uprooting
        chickweed and other plants and trampling plants.
        My neighbors may never do anything to restrain the chickens. We
        just moved here about a month ago and I do not have a sense of the neighborhood

        dynamics. I want to live in harmony with my neighbors.

        I have put a pallet on one side of the rhody and some heavy stones
        on the other side of the trunk, with mulch underneath all of them.

        I want to plant many new plants, and am discouraged by the behavior
        of these chickens who appear ready to mess up new plantings and many of my
        plans for this space.

        They do not peck where I have mulched with blackberry canes that I
        cut back.

        Do you know of ways to repel chickens from digging near the plants?

        Are the chickens valuable in a home garden in some way?

        I live in Portland, Oregon where it is legal to keep 3 chickens. I
        will find out the laws - surely it is not OK for chickens to wreck their
        neighbors plants.

        We have a large yard in a quarter of an acre lot.

        My plan is to develop a permaculture design and create a space for
        people to learn about permaculture and wild edible plants.

        Thanks a lot for any suggestions that you have.

        Happiness, Health, Peace and Abundance for All!

        Many Blessings,
        Pamela Melcher