Re: [fukuoka_farming] vegetarianism & sustainability

  • William Stocker
    Message 1 of 82 , Jul 19, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <SArjuna@...>
      To: <fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 12:33 PM
      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] vegetarianism & sustainability

      > Hi,
      > A while ago a contributor mentioned vegetarianism. As attractive
      as
      > the abstract philosopy is, a purely vegetarian diet can lead to dietary
      > insufficiency in the long term. I was vegetarian (no dairy except ghee)
      for 30
> [...]
      and
      > cod liver oil. (And quit soy altogether. That is a topic in itself.)
      > year ago I added fish. I started by eating fish for supper three nights
      in a
      > row while we were travelling. By the 3rd or 4th day, my tooth decay
      stopped.
      > (I knew by the difference in what I smelled when cleaning my teeth.)
      > Verified that with my dental hygienist.
      > What inspired me to try that was reading about dental recalcification
      > when nutrition is improved, in the book Nutrition & Physical Degeneration
      by Dr.
      > Weston A. Price. He travelled the world over studying the health and
      > nutrition of the different cultures. He had hoped to find a healthy
      vegetarian
      > culture but did not.
      > There is a great website based on his work. With links to
      discussion
      > groups of people whose health was damaged by vegan diet. Many people
      seem to
      > do alright for several years before encountering symptoms that all is not
      > alright. As there is a lot of "belief" involved, and often association
      with a
      > group of people who strongly believe in the diet as part of an ideal
      lifestyle,
      > it can be hard for an individual to want to look at the facts and make
      needed
      > changes. Often it's easier to think "I must just not be getting it quite
      > right."
      > As a quick "rule of thumb," one can look at how his teeth and
      gums
      > are, and whether he catches colds, etc. With a nutrition-dense diet, one
      > does not get dental decay.
      > Inadequate nutrition is easier to take for adults than for children,
      as
      > kids are literally building a body. Also, inadequate nutrition of the
      > parents will have severe affects on a fetus, often ending in miscarriage
      but
      > possibly in a very weak child. Offspring also likely to have crooked or
      crowded
      > teeth, narrow dental arch, pinched nostrils, etc.
      > If you are vegan, I strongly suggest you take an openminded look at
      the
      > information at www.westonaprice.org
      > By the way, I have not noticed any deleterious changes in my
      > consciousness as a result of these dietary changes. No increase in
      anger, lust, etc.
      > as some claim accompanies eating animal products. My meditation is
      actually
      > better than before. Hey - I am healthier!
      > Now, if we need to eat animal products to be truly healthy, then our
      > vision of sustainability has to include how to produce them.
      > Regards,
      > Shivani

      > I chose not to accept advertising. William

    • Bart Van Audenhove
      Message 82 of 82 , Oct 5, 2004
        Exactly.

        "Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to
        pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."

        Martin Luther King - and me :-)

        --- waybackwitch <waybackwitch@...> escribió:

        > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Carter
        > <actasau@b...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > On 27/07/2004, at 1:46 AM, benonthenet wrote:
        > You can teach natural farming all you like,
        > > but I think that it is delusional to believe that
        > it is going to
        > change
        > > the world when faced with the overwhelming
        > destructive forces I
        > > mentioned above.
        >
        > the colorado river carved the grand canyon. how?
        > water can't do
        > that. but it did. what is a river. a mighty force
        > that can wash
        > away mountains but it starts as a single drop.
        >
        > i change the world. every time i plant a seed the
        > world changes.
        > when i use recycled or organic products. i change
        > the world. when i
        > decide i need to go for a long drive, i change the
        > world. we all
        > do. all the time.
        >
        > those overwhelming destructive forces did not start
        > out that way.
        > they started small. mere drops.
        >
        > we must be aware of what we do at all times. we
        > must observe. we
        > must consider the world around us and be aware of
        > our effect. if
        > enough people do that, perhaps we can form a mighty
        > river to wash
        > away that overwhelming destructive force.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/bAOolB/TM

        =====
        "There is not much to be done against them, but everything without them."