Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Perennial weeds and no-till

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2004
      It just occurs to me that in Nature no one weeds....so how do things
      > grow so well? Isn't that what this list is about...mimicking Nature
      > ala Fukuoka?

      the principle of weed utility .
      GLoria , i apreciate your take on weeds .

      the first step away from pure natural farming is to distinguish between
      weeds and crops .
      jean-claude
    • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2004
        Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry wrote:
        > It just occurs to me that in Nature no one weeds....so how do things
        > > grow so well? Isn't that what this list is about...mimicking Nature
        > > ala Fukuoka?
        >
        > the principle of weed utility .
        > GLoria , i apreciate your take on weeds .
        >
        > the first step away from pure natural farming is to distinguish between

        > weeds

        Cut them down (scythe or sickle) let them lay and rot as mulch; do same with seedling
        weeds that appear later. Plant weeds that shade other weeds and/or are allelopathic;
        let them grow then cut them before they go to seeds, and lay and rot as mulch.
        You will soon be rid of your weed problem and richer soil with greater tilth and biological activity.
        Bermuda and Quack grass: dig it out or bury it deep; or till it then plant a weed that will out compete it.
        I've done all of the above and it all works.

        LL

        and crops .

        --
        L.F.London