Re: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Gardening in Long Beach

  • Mary Jo Terry
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 8, 2004
      Miss Puffman
      Do you pile the soil up sroung the sweet potatoes like you do the new potatoes? Is it too late to plant them this year?
      Jo_Al
    • Peggy James
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 8, 2004
        I plant the sweet potato slips in round depressions in the ground. These
        depressions are called "hills." The hills are about the same dimension
        across as a large salad bowl, and about as deep. The idea is to catch
        water for the newly-planted slips until they are established. Once
        they're established, you don't have to water.

        You don't have to pile soil up around sweet potatoes. Sweet potato vines
        grow along the ground like ivy. They don't stand up like white potato
        vines (which do have to be earthed-up).

        No, it's not to late to plant.

        You can start slips in compost and have them in about six weeks. You can
        start them in a glass of water, too, and have some in about 10 days. Put
        the pointed end down in the water, and cut slips off as wanted.

        The slips I planted this year were started in sand on March 1 of this
        year. They came from sweet potatoes harvested on Thanksgiving day last
        year. Holding sweet potatoes from the previous year's harvest in a box
        of dry sand is a way to have slips ready to go when I want them.

        Actually, if you don't want to mess with slips and all you need is weed
        control, you can bury the sweet potatoes wherever you want and let them
        take over. It may take a week or two for slips to emerge. Make sure you
        get organic potatoes--others might have been sprayed with a sprout
        inhibitor.

        Happy Farming!

        Miss Puffman
        32N 96W

        Mary Jo Terry wrote:

        > Miss Puffman
        > Do you pile the soil up sroung the sweet potatoes like you do the new
        > potatoes? Is it too late to plant them this year?
        > Jo_Al
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        [click here]

        > Service.

      • benonthenet
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 8, 2004
          Once you have some sweet potato vines, you can just take cuttings
          push them into the ground. Keep them moist until they root (about a
          week or two).
        • Mary Jo Terry
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 9, 2004
            Thanks for the info. Now I have to get to the garden!
            Jo_Al