Re: Re: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Gardening in Long Beach

  • Mary Jo Terry
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 7, 2004
      Thanks Les,
      I will try this on a small scale to start. Sounds workable for a small veg. garden or flowers either.
      Jo_Al
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 8, 2004
          I plant the sweet potato slips in round depressions in the ground. These
          depressions are called "hills." The hills are about the same dimension
          across as a large salad bowl, and about as deep. The idea is to catch
          water for the newly-planted slips until they are established. Once
          they're established, you don't have to water.

          You don't have to pile soil up around sweet potatoes. Sweet potato vines
          grow along the ground like ivy. They don't stand up like white potato
          vines (which do have to be earthed-up).

          No, it's not to late to plant.

          You can start slips in compost and have them in about six weeks. You can
          start them in a glass of water, too, and have some in about 10 days. Put
          the pointed end down in the water, and cut slips off as wanted.

          The slips I planted this year were started in sand on March 1 of this
          year. They came from sweet potatoes harvested on Thanksgiving day last
          year. Holding sweet potatoes from the previous year's harvest in a box
          of dry sand is a way to have slips ready to go when I want them.

          Actually, if you don't want to mess with slips and all you need is weed
          control, you can bury the sweet potatoes wherever you want and let them
          take over. It may take a week or two for slips to emerge. Make sure you
          get organic potatoes--others might have been sprayed with a sprout
          inhibitor.

          Happy Farming!

          Miss Puffman
          32N 96W

          Mary Jo Terry wrote:

          > Miss Puffman
          > Do you pile the soil up sroung the sweet potatoes like you do the new
          > potatoes? Is it too late to plant them this year?
          > Jo_Al
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          [click here]

          > Service.

        • benonthenet
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 8, 2004
            Once you have some sweet potato vines, you can just take cuttings
            push them into the ground. Keep them moist until they root (about a
            week or two).
          • Mary Jo Terry
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 9, 2004
              Thanks for the info. Now I have to get to the garden!
              Jo_Al