Re: [fukuoka_farming] Disposing of Weeds - One Method

  • Vijay Wilankar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
      Hi Benjamin:

      This is Vijay.

      I like th idea and will experiment it. Thanks for your inputs.

      It is so simple yet so far !

      Regards,

      Vijay

      benonthenet <benonthenet@...> wrote:
      When doing some initial weeding or digging out pernicious grasses,
      you'll be left with a lot of plant material. How do you return them
      to the earth without just creating a new weed problem?

      Easy...

      Put the grasses or weeds in a watertight container (preferably one
      with a lid) - I use a 30 gallon trash can. Fill the container with
      water until it's enough to cover the weeds plus a few extra inches.
      (You may need to push or weight them down to keep them below the
      surface of the water.) Then...let them rot.

      When the weeds have fully rotted, you can shovel them plant matter
      onto the surface of the garden. The weeds are now a mush that will
      feed the soil and make healthy plants without springing back to life.
      The resultant liquid (may or may not be smelly - mine doesn't smell)
      is also nutritious for the soil. Water the garden with it.

      This works very well.

      For those among us who compost: composting will not destroy
      pernicious roots and weed seeds unless actively managed to maintain a
      high temperature - a lot of work. Drown 'em and let 'em rot is easier
      and kills them all without question.

      Benjamin
      Natural Gardener

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Do it right the first time, all the time....

      Yahoo! India Careers: Over 50,000 jobsonline.

    • benonthenet
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
        > Hi Benjamin:
        >
        > This is Vijay.
        >
        > I like th idea and will experiment it. Thanks for your inputs.
        >
        > It is so simple yet so far !
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Vijay

        You're welcome. If we all share what we do, we can learn from each
        other and make what we do better.

        Benjamin
      • Veganomad4peace@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2004
          this is very interesting.
          we have a small intentional community in WI, usa,
          and have a major problem with quackgrass.
          we also seem to live in a swamp area, and have tons of water!
          i am thinking of planing rice and cranberries !

          but composting the weeds...hmmm, might work on some of the soggy areas!
          ~shahara lefay

          www.terrasoluna.org
          www.deeplyrooted.net