Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Gardening in Long Beach

  • benonthenet
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 5, 2004
      > I'd like to know more about gardening without tilling. We have a
      lot of bermuda and johnson grasses here. How do I get rid of them
      without tilling? They kill everything we plant if we don't till.

      Mary Joy,

      If you have grasses that form root mats like bermuda grass, you'll
      have to do an initial digging to dig them out. If they are pretty
      established, you'll wind up digging out a foot of roots and top soil.
      I would not suggest sifting the the roots to get some of that soil
      back into the ground. If any little pieces of root end back in the
      ground, you'll be stuck with the grass again.

      I had to dig out my community garden plot I recently started. The
      good thing is that once you dig out the grass, it's so much easier to
      control. Part of the solution to dealing with grasses after getting
      the garden started is working with plants that can survive with some
      grass. It may be helpful to also plant the border with something that
      will keep the grass at bay like sweet potato or a variety of clumping
      bamboo. If you use bamboo (they come in dwarf varieties too), you
      don't want a bamboo that reproduces by runners. Bamboo is a grass and
      the running types will produce a root mat that is virtually
      impregnable.

      Another part of the solution is to plant so that very little to no
      light reaches the ground. Grass are sun lovers. Exposed and desturbed
      ground or open stretches of land is where they naturally thrive.
      Deprive them of light and you eliminate them.

      Benjamin
    • Mary Jo Terry
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 7, 2004
        Thanks Les,
        I will try this on a small scale to start. Sounds workable for a small veg. garden or flowers either.
        Jo_Al
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 8, 2004
            I plant the sweet potato slips in round depressions in the ground. These
            depressions are called "hills." The hills are about the same dimension
            across as a large salad bowl, and about as deep. The idea is to catch
            water for the newly-planted slips until they are established. Once
            they're established, you don't have to water.

            You don't have to pile soil up around sweet potatoes. Sweet potato vines
            grow along the ground like ivy. They don't stand up like white potato
            vines (which do have to be earthed-up).

            No, it's not to late to plant.

            You can start slips in compost and have them in about six weeks. You can
            start them in a glass of water, too, and have some in about 10 days. Put
            the pointed end down in the water, and cut slips off as wanted.

            The slips I planted this year were started in sand on March 1 of this
            year. They came from sweet potatoes harvested on Thanksgiving day last
            year. Holding sweet potatoes from the previous year's harvest in a box
            of dry sand is a way to have slips ready to go when I want them.

            Actually, if you don't want to mess with slips and all you need is weed
            control, you can bury the sweet potatoes wherever you want and let them
            take over. It may take a week or two for slips to emerge. Make sure you
            get organic potatoes--others might have been sprayed with a sprout
            inhibitor.

            Happy Farming!

            Miss Puffman
            32N 96W

            Mary Jo Terry wrote:

            > Miss Puffman
            > Do you pile the soil up sroung the sweet potatoes like you do the new
            > potatoes? Is it too late to plant them this year?
            > Jo_Al
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            [click here]

            > Service.

          • benonthenet
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2004
              Once you have some sweet potato vines, you can just take cuttings
              push them into the ground. Keep them moist until they root (about a
              week or two).
            • Mary Jo Terry
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 9, 2004
                Thanks for the info. Now I have to get to the garden!
                Jo_Al