Killing weeds

  • Zack Domike
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5 12:42 PM
      Growing plants is hard, killing weeds is easy. I am
      in a cold, wet climate, similar to Seattle.

      I have not followed Fukuoka in this, but my
      permaculture technique is fairly easy, quick to
      prepare, but requires the passage of time. First I
      harvest the weeds if there is some use for them (feed
      the goats, mulch other areas, etc.) This is the time
      to do the rough grading, if you need to trench for
      drainage or level for other reasons.

      Then I lay down lime and phosphorous powder, because
      the soil is acid and generally poor due to previous
      burns. This is not very Fukuokan, either. Then I
      cover this with cleaned junk cardboard boxes,
      flattened and placed overlapping. I usually place
      these in beds, about four feet wide, or less.

      Takes some time to clean the tape and the staples off
      the boxes, but it is a higher use than sending them to
      the landfill.

      I then trench in between the cardboard beds and to the
      root masses up on the cardboard sheets to prevent the
      wind from rearranging them.

      Then I wait for about three months, and the cardboard
      is mushy, the underlying weed plants are mostly dead.
      That is the time to pluck out the weeds that survived
      in the root balls that were weighting down the
      cardboard. I think Fukuoka might not approve of so
      much weeding, but it is easy with this cap of
      relocated weeds . . .

      Bingo! Instant low tech raised beds. Per Fukuoka,
      plant root veggies first, to break up the soil below.
      If you have a dry climate at planting time, then the
      seed ball technique is ideal. Remember to make them
      tiny seed balls though .. .. .. Here, the
      intermediate trenches serve to drain the surface water
      from the beds, whereas we get 72", or six feet, of
      rain per year.

      Regards,
      Zachary
      Puerto Montt, Chile