Re: feeding the world population-1000 sq/ feet each

  • SArjuna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2004
      I am thinking about John Warner's comments, including "A thousand square
      feet of intensive bed will support one person, one year on a 2400 kcal/day
      diet.  These figures come from John Jeavons' Ecology Action."
      Does Jeavon mean that that would be all the person would eat? No eggs,
      fish, dairy, etc. Just things grown in the garden?
      Have you read Dr. Weston A. Price's book Nutrition & Physical
      Degeneration? He traveled to many remote areas in the 20's, visiting traditional
      peoples who were first being impacted by "civilization" and refined foods. He
      took amazing photos of the astoundingly healthy people all over the world who
      were still eating as their ancestors had for thousands of years, and showed what
      happened to them as soon as they began to eat refined foods.
      Dr. Price then did experiments of his own. He was able to draw some
      sound conclusions about what humans need to eat to be healthy. One of his
      conclusions was that at least some animal food is needed. To his disappointment,
      he did not find any vitally healthy vegetarian populations.
      I myself was a whole, organic foods vegetarian (including ghee) for over
      30 years. After reading the work of Price and Sally Fallon, I added eggs
      and cod liver oil, then fish. Only when I added fish did my chronic dental
      problems stop.
      The condition of our teeth is a good indicator of our level of health.
      Dr. Price's experiments showed that tooth decay is from inadequate nutrition,
      not from poor hygiene. My experience certainly corroborates this. A
      current area of decay began to recalcify within three days! We need to eat a
      "nutrient dense" diet.
      Personally, I am still coming to terms with this. I'd rather not have
      to eat fish, etc. I have to remind myself what I told a woman who called
      me for dietary advice. She wanted in the worst way to be a breatharian, so
      she wouldn't have to harm a living thing. It seemed obvious that her weak
      health was due to inadequate nutrition. I told her that in fact I knew what her
      root problem was. "You live on planet Earth." Not what she had wanted to
      hear.
      Shivani

    • pollywog
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2004
        --- Hello Shivani,

        What you speak of is still being born out now. Many Native American
        people are finding that the diabetes so prevalent among them is
        decreasing dramatically when they return to their "pre-civilization"
        ways of eating. Liver troubles, cardiac, pulmonary... ditto.

        Diabetes itself effects the body systemically, and as a whole. It
        makes sense to take that a step further: the rise of diabetes is
        symptomatic of a much larger decrease in the overall health of the
        person on the whole, when they adopt a diet and lifestyle not in
        keeping with their body's needs, but with their unnatural "culture".

        That we can look to Mr. Price's findings in the '20s, and look at what
        is being found even more dramatically now, tells me there is too much
        long-term information here, than we can intelligently ignore. deb