Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: feeding the world population

  • SArjuna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
      In a message dated 6/28/04 6:18:53 PM, benonthenet@... writes:

      > Benjamon said
      >
      > "Cutting browse for goats and gardening intensive raised beds don't
      > equate at all. Intensively raised beds only survive with tremendous
      > input of water and materials from ecosystems outside of the garden.
      > Otherwise you end up with diminishing ratios of organic mater and
      > minerals in the soil."

      The kind of gardening taught by Jeasvons is not intensive but
      biointensive. Not the same thing. The whole point is that nothing is needed from
      ecosystems outside the garden itself. You grow your own compost/mulch.
      Another thing that ought to be added, that I have not heard anyone
      talking about here, is humanure. Just what it sounds like. Only then are you
      putting back in what you take out. To think of our excrement as "waste" is
      just that.
      If you are doubtful, read the book Humanure.
      I live near Milwaukee, where tons of raw sewage is dumped into Lake
      Michigan every time we have much rain. (Which is very often, lately.) Now,
      THAT is disgusting.
      As the author of Hunanure points out, "there are two kinds of people -
      those who s--- in their drinking water and those who don't." Now who is more
      intelligent?
      Shivani