Re: [fukuoka_farming] feeding the world population

  • Mary Jo Terry
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2004
      Would you please define hunter gatherers? I am fairly new and interested in being able to grow feed for my animals as well as the family on relatively small acerage.
      Jo_Al
    • benonthenet
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
        > But I've got a new twist to hunting and gathering that readers may
        find interesting: rather than hunt and gather materials that can be
        eaten directly, one hunts and gathers mulch material and uses that
        material to support raised intensive beds. A thousand square feet of
        intensive bed will support one person, one year on a 2400 kcal/day
        diet.

        You can feed one person on less than 1,000 square feet. It all
        depends on what is planted.

        > A reader on this site may say, "Intensive beds! This is not
        natural farming! How impure."

        Cutting browse for goats and gardening intensive raised beds don't
        equate at all. Intensively raised beds only survive with tremendous
        input of water and materials from ecosystems outside of the garden.
        Otherwise you end up with diminishing ratios of organic mater and
        minerals in the soil.

        The whole point of intensive raised beds is to improve upon nature -
        to force the earth to produce more than it naturally would or could.
        There is no way that I know of to use natural farming in intensive
        raised beds.

        Intensive beds are not natural farming, however they do serve the
        purposes of producing food when space is very limited and recycling
        waste organic matter from homes and businesses. However, organic
        waste from homes and businesses can be surface composted in a natural
        farm/garden system as well.

        Natural farming may not produce the same quantity of food in the same
        area at intensively raised beds, but it does not affect any outside
        ecosystem like raised beds and is a heck of a lot LESS work to
        maintain. You could walk away from a natural farmer or natural garden
        for months on end and still have a perfectly functioning food system.
        The same can't be said of intensively raised beds.

        I suspect natural farming can produce more than most think. It
        probably all depends on what is planted and how the planting cycle is
        stacked.

        Benjamin
      • SArjuna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
          In a message dated 6/28/04 6:18:53 PM, benonthenet@... writes:

          > Benjamon said
          >
          > "Cutting browse for goats and gardening intensive raised beds don't
          > equate at all. Intensively raised beds only survive with tremendous
          > input of water and materials from ecosystems outside of the garden.
          > Otherwise you end up with diminishing ratios of organic mater and
          > minerals in the soil."

          The kind of gardening taught by Jeasvons is not intensive but
          biointensive. Not the same thing. The whole point is that nothing is needed from
          ecosystems outside the garden itself. You grow your own compost/mulch.
          Another thing that ought to be added, that I have not heard anyone
          talking about here, is humanure. Just what it sounds like. Only then are you
          putting back in what you take out. To think of our excrement as "waste" is
          just that.
          If you are doubtful, read the book Humanure.
          I live near Milwaukee, where tons of raw sewage is dumped into Lake
          Michigan every time we have much rain. (Which is very often, lately.) Now,
          THAT is disgusting.
          As the author of Hunanure points out, "there are two kinds of people -
          those who s--- in their drinking water and those who don't." Now who is more
          intelligent?
          Shivani